Skimmer help and recommendations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

conorhayes13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am planning going full Triton on my next tank.
I have heard I should run an over sized skimmer and was wondering how much higher it had to be rated by?
For my 100 gallon tank, I was thinking about a Reef Octo Regal 170 external or Skimz Monzter SM202.

Any help is appreciated, thanks all

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve run full triton for a few years and didn’t oversize my skimmer. If you have a Refugium, it will assist in pulling waste out. Many people strip too much out and then need to feed heavy to put nutrients back in. SiZe of skimmer also depends on amount of bioload. Not sure if that helps or not

OP
OP
conorhayes13

conorhayes13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run full triton for a few years and didn’t oversize my skimmer. If you have a Refugium, it will assist in pulling waste out. Many people strip too much out and then need to feed heavy to put nutrients back in. SiZe of skimmer also depends on amount of bioload. Not sure if that helps or not

That does thank you, if a skimmer is rated for 120 gallons and my tank is 110 it will be ok?

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does thank you, if a skimmer is rated for 120 gallons and my tank is 110 it will be ok?
Skimmers made today are pretty spot on for sizing. Old days, yes you had to oversized. Not so much now. If your 100g has rock in it, corals, sump has media. Than your holding less than 100g. Yes, you'll be good.

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am planning going full Triton on my next tank.
I have heard I should run an over sized skimmer and was wondering how much higher it had to be rated by?
For my 100 gallon tank, I was thinking about a Reef Octo Regal 170 external or Skimz Monzter SM202.

Any help is appreciated, thanks all
Tunze 9012 is the way to go. Will never overflow is quiet and pulls out a lot of gunk. The only downfall is it takes up tank space. I got the DC version it's nice to be able to tune the pump.

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9012 is the way to go. Will never overflow is quiet and pulls out a lot of gunk. The only downfall is it takes up tank space. I got the DC version it's nice to be able to tune the pump.
NVM I thought you said hob not external. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back