Skimmer Information for Database Members Input Needed

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bedrock

i think you posted this in the Skimmer Q&A thread already. This thread is the data base thread for various types of skimmers so you probably wont get much of a reply but I'll try. HOB is the best option! You will have nightmares trying to run an external and plumb it (feed pump flows/check valves/potential for flooding etc..)
why no sump? you can get a small compact somatic sump or eshopps for cheap that can fit under most all tanks.
I dont have a sump on my freshwater. I done more research and decided I'm going to go this route.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
delete

upload_2018-8-13_11-16-33.png

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanted to post this

I purchased an INS80S a while ago and it is a fierce performer. Old design but the design has been copied by others over and over because it flat out skims.

There is overstock available and the sicce pumps are still readily available in case a replacement is needed.
rs=w:600,h:600

INS80S SPECS:
The INS80S protein skimmer is rated to filter up to a 120 gallon marine aquarium, 80 gallon aquariums that are heavily stocked with live coral. Welded together with thick durable acrylic and PVC parts by American workers, you know the quality will be unmatched. The INS80S includes the protein skimmer body, protein skimmer cup and lid, collection cup quick-lock, the 1 1/4" adjustable outlet assembly, 1 1/4" air silencer, modified Sicce PSK pump with venturi and 2 feet of air hose, pump outlet fitting, and an air adjustment valve. This will be the last protein skimmer you will ever need for your home reef aquarium.
  • Sump Space Required For Skimmer/ Footprint: 9" x 9"
  • Minimum Height Required: 22"
  • Ideal Water Level: 6.5" Constant
  • Reaction Chamber & Cup Diameter: 5"
  • Reaction Chamber Volume: 1.02 Gallons
  • Pump Inlet Size: 3/4"
  • Water Outlet Size: 1¼"
  • Pump (included): Modified Sicce Pin-Wheel Pump
  • Pump Consumption With Maximum Air Intake: 17 Watts @ 115/120 VAC 60hz
  • Air Intake: 360-480 lph

INS135S Specs:

The INS135S protein skimmer is rated to filter up to a 250 gallon marine aquarium, 135 gallon aquariums that are heavily stocked with live coral. Welded together with thick durable acrylic and PVC parts by American workers, you know the quality will be unmatched. The INS135S includes the protein skimmer body, protein skimmer cup and lid, collection cup quick-lock, the 1 1/4" adjustable outlet assembly, 1 1/4" air silencer, modified Sicce PSK pump with venturi and 2 feet of air hose, pump outlet fitting, and an air adjustment valve. This will be the last protein skimmer you will ever need for your home reef aquarium.
  • Sump Space Required For Skimmer/ Footprint: 10" x 11.5"
  • Minimum Height Required: 24"
  • Ideal Water Level: 7" Constant
  • Reaction Chamber & Cup Diameter: 6"
  • Reaction Chamber Volume: 1.47 Gallons
  • Pump Inlet Size: 1"
  • Water Outlet Size: 1¼"
  • Pump (included): Modified Sicce Pin-Wheel Pump
  • Pump Consumption With Maximum Air Intake: 26 Watts @ 115/120 VAC 60hz
  • Air Intake: 720-780 lph

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is already in here:
Reef Octopus Classic 110INT skimmer
Recommended for tanks up to 100 gallons with medium bioload
75 Gallons for heavy bioload
10.6" x 6.75" x 19.75" footprint
Aquatrance 1000 pump with pinwheel impeller
Max Flow:92gph
Max Air:420L/H, 15SCFH
Power Consumption: 9watts
venturi air injection system
Gate valve for adjustment
Recommended water height of 5 to 7 inches
41wrcRBEcwL.jpg

Finless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimz SN143-QP Monzter mini

Diameter: 5 1/2"

Foot print: 7 9/16" x 7 7/8"

Pump: Skimz QPS2.ODC
528gph @22w

Air intake: 240-660L/h

Impeller: Needle

Recirculating pump: NO

Tank size: 40g (heavy stock) to
120g (light stock)
SmartSelect_20181116-005453_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not available right now in the states from what I've seen. Unique corals stocked them along with Manhattan Aquariums but they don't currently list on their sites. I ordered mine direct from Ultrareef Italy after contacting the owner on line. The price for these is about a wash if you bought in the states-vs- direct from Italy. The skimmers (UKS 160, 180 and 200) are cheaper over seas but with the shipping from Italy, they come out right around the same cost.
These are built as good as Bubble kings (owned BKs) and all PVC is machined from full blocks of PVC. they are heavy-beefy skimmers, practically silent and have HUGE cups. this is the best performing skimmer I've owned next to my ATB econo 840 with askoll/airstar pump.

1907.jpg

AKULA UKS-160
SKIMMER
Aquariums size200 - 500 litPumpUltra Reef PSK 600+Air intake ~ 500 - 600 lit/hWater intake~ 1000 lit/hPower consumption~ 22 WDimensions17x23 cm (6.7x9.1”)Height56 cm (22”)
Note
To be installed in sump, water level 18-22 mm (7-8.6“)Standard power 230-240V 50Hz, on request 110-120V 60Hz
How it works
The Ultra Reef AKULA UKS range of protein skimmers is a method of filtration that allows
the removal of the organics from seawater. It pumps a mixture of aquarium water and
air bubbles into a mixing chamber. By exploiting the properties of the film surface tension
between air and water, it generates a foam overflowing from the main chamber, and then
into a collection cup which allows for easy removal.
PRODUCT FEATURES

Modern design and low power consumption
The internal pump design is the most compact solution you could have for your aquarium. The pump is housed directly inside the main chamber to reduce the lateral ingots. To access the pump just remove the locking screws and lift off the conical chamber. Skimmers water intake is direct, so it is not necessary to use a feed pump. This solution significantly reduces power consumption and maintenance time.
Particular attention to silence:
The rubber feet absorb all annoying vibrations. To silence the suction of the air, the skimmer is complete with a built-in silenced muffler to absorb the noise produced by the venturi. The exhaust/effluent system is housed on the base and submerged to avoid any noise from the water returning to the system.
Performance and reliability with Ultra Reef PSK+ Plus skimming pumps.
The new Ultra Reef PSK+ Plus needle wheel pump is exclusive to Ultra Reef. This is a dedicated model of the famous PSK pump and is produced for Ultra Reef by Sicce. It is designed to produce the best air and water emulsion through a needle wheel impeller. The transparent body allows pump inspection even during operation, while reinforced impellers allow superior performance and strength.
Easy adjustment, stable and accurate regulation.
The conical body is made from cast acrylic designed to improve internal flow and create homogenous thrust throughout the entire body, the shaped diffusion cup improves the separation of air and water, ensuring excellent stability even from the first start. Internal level adjustment is carried out through a screw valve and the silencer has the added flexibility of an adjustment screw to set the maximum amount of air intake.
Innovative Easy-Flip gasket system
Collection cup and internal neck feature an "Easy Flip" seals for a firm grip and easy removal during maintenance. For ease of maintenance the neck of the cup can also be removed for easy cleaning.
Easy and thorough maintenance
Our product can be disassembled virtually in every single component. The generous thicknesses of the materials used ensure excellent resistance during all maintenance, while small component reduction facilitates cleaning and replacement of individual worn components.
DESIGN, QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE

Italian design and production
We perform all of the internal development of our products in house, from design to production. Our brand guarantees a deep and careful evaluation of the operation, both technically and aesthetically, thanks to the CNC machining of full blocks of PVC
ISO 9001 Quality certification
The goal of business excellence can be achieved only if production processes are continuously improved. Our company is certified and complies with the ISO 9001, the most commonly used international standard that provides a framework for Quality Management Systems.
Viti anticorrosione in Titanio
Screws DIN7985 are made in Titanium G2, resistant to corrosion caused by seawater.To give the best even in smaller components.

Last edited:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like running these Reef Octopus OCTO Regal 150-INT In-Sump Protein Skimmers w/ a Float switch and there controllers.
  • For aquariums up to 210 gallons with a light filtration demand. For aquariums up to 160 gallons with a medium filtration demand. For aquariums up to 100 gallons with a high filtration demand.
  • Small Footprint: 11.4" x 7.5", Body Diameter: 6", Height: 22.6"
  • Reef Octopus VarioS-2S Controllable Pinwheel Pump. Latest in DC controllable technology. Pump has 5 controllable energy efficient power setting
  • Output Size: 40mm - Comes with metric to British adapter to 1.25” pvc ; Output Height: 9.1"
  • Recommended Sump Water Depth: 6" to 8"
Regal 150.JPG
Regal INTL #6.JPG

41SjcGR1EIL.jpg

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a freshwater tank as well as my saltwater and I am thinking of putting a protein skimmer for a while now. what would be the best way of going about doing one without a sump? I would love to stay away from the hang on back type but not sure how I can do that. all help is welcome, thank you.
If you want a fresh water skimmer, Google "Sander protein Skimmer" . They make them for virtually anything, including water treatment. They have the fresh water skimmers listed as well. Some of the skimmers they make are taller than a 3 storey building!! They put a 6 foot human next to the skimmer to give you an idea of the sheer size. I had one of the 1st marine tank skimmers they made in the 80's. All air driven with "ozonereaktor" on the cup top. Here's a photo. I only use it on a QT and swap it between that and the fry raising tank.

For my 340 gallon I just bought a Bubble Magus Curve 9 plus (DC). I will post separately about it for the database, but so far it's fantastic.

I also have an old Marine Sources with Hailea pump that I pulled out when putting in the Curve 9 plus DC. I'll post that one separately as well. It ran ok but microbubbles were a never ending battle - changing black outlet socks frequently.

20190305_135539.jpg

20190305_134608.jpg

nano24Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made in Austria? If it's the equivalent of the Gock of protein skimmers, that may be my next purchase. Like, you can use the collection cup of a 150 on the 250, but not vise versa. Those little tricks that make it more modular and save money if you do your research. lol

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex Alpha 250.JPG 250 Specs.JPG
I'm running this on a system with total water volume of +/- 300 g. In sump skimmer, needs stable water level. Runs quietly. Touchy to dial in but very effective once set. Very happy this skimmer.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralbox 300+ DC skimmer

I have owned probably a dozen skimmers over the years from various manufacturers and I have to say I’m absolutely blown away with the quality and performance of the coralbox skimmers for the money.

23F2D66C-80C2-4F98-A160-8D1D367E0318.png

The 300+ pictured above is super compact and rated for tanks from 30 to 120 gallons.

9894EBA3-5BD6-4F48-B651-FBC0483B8536.jpeg

The new CoralBox D300+ Protein Skimmer has a built in float switch, and adjustable feed time. The D300+ is powered by a CoralBox DCA1,200 pump with a needle-wheel impeller for maximum aeration, and a controller with an integrated float switch. The air input, water output, and pump speed are all adjustable. You can set a 10 minute, 20 minute, or 50 minute feed time with the touch of a button.

The pump has 6 output settings that are controlled with an included controller, or can be controlled with an aquarium controller and the proper hardware. The pump has a soft-start function as well, being that it is DC powered, the controller will start it off at a low speed, and slowly ramp it up to the speed you set to prevent overflows on startup.

The Coral Box D300+ Skimmer has a base diameter of 5 3/4″ and a height of 17 3/4″ with the cup.

BB7A5069-64A0-4403-9892-0A1E8E287FBF.jpeg

These skimmers can be completely disassembled for easy cleaning and maintenance.

8A6476C0-FC64-457F-81F4-43227AF85960.jpeg

Running mine in a small eshopps RS75 sump which provides filtration on a 40 breeder.. some of my favorite features are the large collection cup with auto shut off float switch, gate valve and controllable pump for easy precise tuning, super small footprint and the ease of maintenance.

6F8B1541-94EE-47C0-8BF4-FBC661558FDA.png

This skimmer is a absolute beast.. it’s super quiet, easy to tune and started producing skimate right away.

AC8DAF0F-10E4-439F-B1AE-9184B613AAD6.jpeg

You can currently find this skimmer on Reefbreeders for $219.00 and I can confidently say it will preform as well or better than any similar sized skimmer from any manufacturer regardless of the price.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the Coral Box D 700. It would have handled my 1500 litre tank (~330 gallons) including sump well but 2 things got in the way.
1 - too big for my sump without major modifications including cutting glass and chopping part of the aluminium stand (sump was pre-fab and pre-installed). The price is amazing for the features. Then there is the same brand Cloud 9. Also too big.
2 - I couldn't find anyone who could get one to me without exorbitant shipping fees, import duty and a long wait (I needed a skimmer "yesterday") . I live in Perth Western Australia.

I thought about pulling out the sump and making major changes to it but it's all set up with a fuge that's very stable. It's a shame because they're excel skimmers at a great price. Oh well, it is what it is...

OK . Info for the database:

I was running an ancient Marine Sources (photo attached) skimmer with an AC Hailea pump and ozone injector. It did a reasonable job but, by (poor?) design, outputted copious quantities of micro bubbles that required constant fidgeting with either outflow socks or foam. The socks got black in little time. The foam had little effect so I had to make a baffle of plastic to prevent the bubbles re-entering its pump. The Hailea pump put out too much heat and used too much power. I can't find information for this skimmer. I bought it 2nd hand for $200.00 Australian (about $150.00 US) from a local hobbyist. If anyone knows anything about this old Marine Sources skimmer, feel free to chime in.

So I settled for Bubble Magus Curve 9Plus with internal DSP 4000 DC pump. It fit in my sump like a glove. Uses very little power and performs extremely well. Unlike Bubble Magus earlier Curve 9 with AC pump that was super noisy, this one is whisper quiet - I think the company noticed all the complaints about that and changed to DC. At $529.00 Australian (about $400.00 US) and zero shipping or tax (the price you see is the price you pay here because price is tax inclusive), it fit my budget well and I only had to drive for 20 minutes to pick it up.
It only took 2 or 3 days to break in. No micro bubbles, excellent skimmate production, very little heat and noise, super easy to set - the sweet spot water level seems best at ~ 9" (the company states 9.5" to 11"). My skimmer chamber water level is a quarter inch over 9", so I didn't need a stand. It's super easy to take apart to clean. Has a 2 year warranty + 1 extra year from my LFS.
I'm very happy with it so far..

https://oceanreefsmarine.com.au/products/bubble-magus-curve-9-protein-skimmer

My own photo attached as well as the advertisement from my LFS above.

20190309_144451.jpg

20181003_191027.jpg

Last edited:

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I use this.
Korallen-zucht - REVOLUTION S Deluxe

1575972796542.png

An Aquabee UP3000 pump of 750 g/ h is connected to it.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps x-160

Recommended for tanks up to:

Heavy Bioload - 100 Gallons

Medium Bioload - 170 Gallons

Light Bioload - 220 Gallons

Specifications:

Footprint - 7.625" x 7.75"

Height - 20"

Power Consumption - 14W @ 120VAC

Recommended Water Level - 7" - 9"

Air intake: 21 SCFH for the psk-600

A4603A0A-DB5A-4995-92A0-D3AE96001D9F.jpeg

My cabinet light is a little blue but both the sump and skimmer are purple lol.

Was offline for about a month so had to dial back in. Forgot to clean the outside of the cup after that.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm running a bubble magus curve D8 dc protein skimmer the specs are:

Features

• Wine Glass Body
  • Run-Dry Protection
  • 10-Minute Feed Mode
  • Adjustable DC Pump
  • Compact gear-driven outlet adjustment

Specifications

• Internal DC skimmer Curve - D8 DC
  • Pump: Bubble-magus S20
  • Power: DC 24V, 20W
  • Use to tank: 125 - 225 Gallons (500 – 900 liters)
  • Water leave: 10" (250MM)
  • Size: 8.86"L x 10.04"W x 22.24"H (225 x 255 x 565Mm
This skimmer is great (not my pic but much cleaner than any picture I have)
Screenshot_20191115-152339_Facebook.jpg

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been a huge fan of the Nyos line and have a NYOS 220 for my new 300 Gallon build

1580857586837.png

• Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 125 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 250 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 500 Gallons

Specifications:
Footprint - 9.3" x 12.2"
Height - 23.8"
Power Consumption - 22W @ 120VAC

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back