Skimmer needed on 29G

esstwokay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank set up for about a year now with 2 clowns, 3 chromis and about 6 hermits. For corals, I have a variety of zoanthids and duncans. Right now, I just have a HOB filter, but I'm wondering if I should have a skimmer? I typically do a 10% water change 2-3 times a month.

So far, my research has been saying that I don't need one on a tank that small if I keep up with water changes. At the same time, I've seen many reviews that say that most nano skimmers aren't great or are noisy.

Would you all agree with this?

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some nicely performing skimmers for a 29, but I would agree they are not great when you look at options for tanks smaller than yours. If your system is working I wouldn't reccomend changing it, there are many paths to a successful reef tank. I think a skimmer is a little less demanding than mechanical filtration like a HOB filter as they don't force all the water through the media where the waste is collected. Mechanical filters can offer great filtration though if their media is cleaned regularly.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back