Skimmer PH bump

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c1e5541ee946b7796081f25adcd1149e.jpg

Ok now that I have your attention, here's the question.

How far is too far to run a fresh airline?

I'm looking at running my airline to the outside of my home to help with excess Co2 in my tank. I've proven this by opening windows and I get an immediate PH bump.

I'm sure if it were just a few feet it wouldn't be an issue , but I'm looking at running a line about 25'.

Too far??

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I'm getting at....

Could you run the line directly from the skimmer to the outside over that distance or would it be a better option to run an air pump ?? I completely get the head loss thing....

The last thing I want to do is have my skimmer struggling to pull air in. I don't have much of a choice 25' or Co2 scrubber ..... I'd rather not do the scrubber .

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id try it honestly. Your only out $ for air line.
Double check the inside diameter of the line on the skimmer and get that. The common "airline tubing, is usually smaller.
youll have to figure out a way to regulate the flow in case its actually too much.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer comes equipped with this little valve to regulate the air intake ... I'm taking it with me to the store to try out some different line.

I usually run it wide open to wet skim and close it back a bit to dry skim. I guess the only thing that concerns me is not getting enough air....

5a5ae6c48050ed8142e274e0ba3ff9b6.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
c1e5541ee946b7796081f25adcd1149e.jpg

Ok now that I have your attention, here's the question.

How far is too far to run a fresh airline?

I'm looking at running my airline to the outside of my home to help with excess Co2 in my tank. I've proven this by opening windows and I get an immediate PH bump.

I'm sure if it were just a few feet it wouldn't be an issue , but I'm looking at running a line about 25'.

Too far??
How far is too far? The only reasonable answer would be if its choking/dramatically reducing the air from the lenth of the tubing. Im sure over 25 feet ben done before, Ive ran mine more then 15 feet before without a problem so i wouldnt see why not

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's the thought anyway lol .... Like what saltyfilmfolks said. Your only out a couple of bucks the the line... Worth a shot. I'll let you know if it works out.

That way we can scientifically document this day, time , length of line, skimmer brand blah blah blah .... Lol

I may even make a chart or graph! Wow! Ha! Lol

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well that's the thought anyway lol .... Like what saltyfilmfolks said. Your only out a couple of bucks the the line... Worth a shot. I'll let you know if it works out.

That way we can scientifically document this day, time , length of line, skimmer brand blah blah blah .... Lol

I may even make a chart or graph! Wow! Ha! Lol
It really is something every reefer should consider running an airline to there skimmer if they arent running ozone. Litterally the skimmate production is at its full potential plus your water will be super duper saturated with 02

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is something every reefer should consider running an airline to there skimmer if they arent running ozone. Litterally the skimmate production is at its full potential plus your water will be super duper saturated with 02

Oh I definitely agree . In my last home it was not nearly as tight or as insulated so I never saw those big differences between a closed up home and windows open. I just got done buying the parts and pieces so later today will be the install.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh I definitely agree . In my last home it was not nearly as tight or as insulated so I never saw those big differences between a closed up home and windows open. I just got done buying the parts and pieces so later today will be the install.
If you can share a picture when your done that would be awesome. I havent done it yet on my new tank because i havnt got the right size tubing for it. Also i have a window about 6 feet away from my tank, so i need some ideas how to hide it lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine 10' with a 3/8 line. works like a champ. I just have to get a 90 shark bit to put on the end to keep the rain out.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine 10' with a 3/8 line. works like a champ. I just have to get a 90 shark bit to put on the end to keep the rain out.

100% not trying to hijack this thread as it's answering the same concerns as mine. "Keep the rain out" got me thinking though, could this also pull in a bunch of hot summer air and heat the tank up?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% not trying to hijack this thread as it's answering the same concerns as mine. "Keep the rain out" got me thinking though, could this also pull in a bunch of hot summer air and heat the tank up?
Not at all I think it is still on track of @120reefkeeper OP. Yes it is going to bring in hot air into the line. I just checked and after 2' the line seems cool. If you would like I can bring home a infrared thermometer and check the line tomorrow to verify my simple touch assessment:D then I can be all scientific with back up results:D I also have the line on the north side of the house coming out, as you know in Florida it is hot everywhere.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all I think it is still on track of @120reefkeeper OP. Yes it is going to bring in hot air into the line. I just checked and after 2' the line seems cool. If you would like I can bring home a infrared thermometer and check the line tomorrow to verify my simple touch assessment:D then I can be all scientific with back up results:D I also have the line on the north side of the house coming out, as you know in Florida it is hot everywhere.

Mine will be in a shaded patio, but yeah dang hot here no matter where it would come out. Interesting on the infrared thermometer, I also have one lying around that I always forget about but of course that would require drilling a hole in my wall to test.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will shoot the line tomorrow and PM you.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point raised. I don't believe heat will be an issue with the length I'm going to run, but short lengths could have a "wicking effect" I'm sure. Due to lower ambient temperatures in our homes I doubt I will see any ill effects.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back