Skimmer pump stopped

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Octo 110-S and I turned off the return to do some tank work. I forgot to turn of the skimmer when I turned off the return and the skimmer overflowed. Now that everything else is back on and running, the skimmer isnt turning on.

Is there some troubleshooting to get the pump to start blowing air again? Ive tried switching outlets, bumping it around in case something got stuck in it, and still nothing. It doesnt even sound like the pump is on.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you touch the pump housing, can you feel vibration when it's on? If so, the first thing I would check is that the pump isn't air locked. There's a bunch of ways to do this, but ultimately you need to move the impeller when it's on either by poking it (not recommended, but done a bunch), opening while running (once again, not recommended), or spinning the impeller when the unit is off then turning it on. You're trying to dislodge any air that's stuck preventing the impeller from spinning.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to remove the pump and visually inspect it. Open the volute and remove the impeller. look for any visual wear or damage. If you see excessive mineral buildup or a damaged part you will need to clean or replace it. If everything is clean I would briefly plug in the pump out of the water to see if the impeller spins or tries to spin. If the impeller tries to spin but then freezes you likely just need a replacement impeller. If it doesn't budge at all you will likely need a new pump. Luckily Aquatrance pumps and parts are not excessively pricey.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you touch the pump housing, can you feel vibration when it's on? If so, the first thing I would check is that the pump isn't air locked. There's a bunch of ways to do this, but ultimately you need to move the impeller when it's on either by poking it (not recommended, but done a bunch), opening while running (once again, not recommended), or spinning the impeller when the unit is off then turning it on. You're trying to dislodge any air that's stuck preventing the impeller from spinning.

I feel no virbations. But Ill try those things. Thank you!

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to remove the pump and visually inspect it. Open the volute and remove the impeller. look for any visual wear or damage. If you see excessive mineral buildup or a damaged part you will need to clean or replace it. If everything is clean I would briefly plug in the pump out of the water to see if the impeller spins or tries to spin. If the impeller tries to spin but then freezes you likely just need a replacement impeller. If it doesn't budge at all you will likely need a new pump. Luckily Aquatrance pumps and parts are not excessively pricey.
Thank you! Ill start to dismantle now!

Back