Skimmer Q&A Thread

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I wanted to upgrade my skimmer. I own a bubblemagus 150 pro and wanted to buy a coralbox d500 pro. I only have a 21 cm sump compartment and I was wondering if you know the exact measures of the skimmer! Thank you :D

Cadenhuenefeld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far have you plumbed air tubing to a skimmer, and had it still function normally. I have a skimz MONZTER SM201 INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER and have 1/4” ID hose. I Need to go about 20’.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my tank, and fired up the skimmer (Vertex omega 130), and wow at the bubbles. I was expecting lots of micro-bubbles, but I wasn't expecting the skimmer to be so loud! I have a bean animal overflow, and a Neptune cor 20 return pump because silence is pretty important since it sits right by my couch. I think the skimmer is running as it should, but I can definitely hear it over everything else. Any suggestions to muffle it down a bit? Am I fighting a losing battle with the noise?

dennism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon nano with an all in one sump on the back. What would be a good skimmer to use? I would like a constant skim. The one I had was too big and wouldn't skim till the bio load was really high. Then it would drop and not skim for a month again. The last pic was the old skimmer lol.
20190525_174705.jpeg
20190525_174714.jpeg
20190505_094347.jpeg
I like the tank

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help also my reef octopus BM100SE is doing the same thing as the post above. The thing has no directions to give you a starting point except for it should be in 7 to 10" of water. There is a wheel on the base plate with nimbers and a knob that says min-max and a plastic screww to adjust the air intake. I dont know what to do this is my 2nd skimmer and the previous skimmer was an HOB and all you had to do was raise the cup up or down.

SantosE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aquamaxx nf-1 it skims but I was under the assumption that it’s always supposed to have a thick foam in the cylinder inside the cup mine doesn’t do that it also only makes a dark brown skin mate i know that it’s supposed to be almost black for it to be a good skimmate I really want to make it super concentrated and would like some help. One more thing I have tried to Raise it in order to make a dryer skimmate and therefore make it more concentrated but it only ever gets so dark it never gets almost black like some people. It’s in an IM 25 lagoon in the second chamber.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help also my reef octopus BM100SE is doing the same thing as the post above. The thing has no directions to give you a starting point except for it should be in 7 to 10" of water. There is a wheel on the base plate with nimbers and a knob that says min-max and a plastic screww to adjust the air intake. I dont know what to do this is my 2nd skimmer and the previous skimmer was an HOB and all you had to do was raise the cup up or down.
al little late but the wheel on the base plate with the numbers should be the adjustment for the internal water level of the skimmer (raise or lower the foam head)

i would suggest running it at an 8 inch sump level and open the wheel so the effluent (outflow from skimmer) is wide open. Also run the air wide open at this time.

give it a day or so without adjusting and let the body and pump develope a slime coat. once you start getting a consistant foam head that builds up, you can use that wheel which operates the gate and tighten it up or close it a bit in small increments (monitor after each adjustment for at least an hour) to raise the foam head inside the skimmer until you get the desired result. report back with progress :)

Juscuziam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all !

I have a somatic 60 sump and protien skimmer with a 40 gallon tank. I cant seem to find the sweet spot.
How many inches should it be submerged? Currently I have it sitting on a two inch riser plate and the water line is just below the buble plate. The airline is plumbed externally so it pulls in fresh air from outside. Tank is very lightly stocked.

20190629_162950.jpg

Staticx0216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright question has probably been asked 100 times.

So I have the im fusion 40 looking for a decent skimmer. Preferably budget friendly at the moment. Also planning on keeping it in the 2nd chamber in back of tank.

I've also thought about doing a diy skimmer. But don't know if that will be enough. But I'm also not planning on having a large bio load.

Last edited:

yellow73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the WaterBox Peninsula 2030 180 gallon would the Bubble Magnus Curve 7 be adequate for the 180 and is it of decent quality. Any other suggestions.

action21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bang for buck for you would be the the Vertex IN 100. Really a great skimmer and under $200. Euroreef design with a few added features. Make sure you get the Gen 2 model and run it at 7 inches of water and you will be set. Bust bang for buck under 200.
Mojo~
That is until you need support or parts for it. Then it can be trying

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first protein skimmer the other day and can’t tell if it’s working correctly.

First 2 pics are from last night and third is from this morning. I didn’t make any adjustments in between.

b038bcd79f5dc59d141a0eb68c86cb2e.jpg
03d71240e1f647a40550699839d1979c.jpg
76aa5c7d4608dddf3af4f2bde79be138.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back