Skimmer Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by mojo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. hotdrop

hotdrop Member

Thanks for the suggestion, there is a aquamaxx 1.5 on eBay that im watching but I think in tank is probably a better choice like you said. The two skimmers you listed are recommended for tanks 3-4x my size so I was wondering if that much skimmer is needed or even beneficial.

2. reeftivo

reeftivo skim junkie R2R Supporter

I ran a coneS CO-1 when they first came out on my 39 with little 10 gal sump and it skimmed like a beast. I created a thread on it a few years back. It wasn't on R2R so i dont want to list the thread but it will skim a 30.

AMs load ranges are overated in my opinion on their smaller skimmers.

3. bct15

bct15 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Showcase Editor

I’m having difficulty picking a slimmer for my upcoming build.

I am building a 480 gallon display, which will have about 150 gallon sump. I’m considering bubble king deluxe external 300 or deluxe external 400. The tank will be well stocked and sps dominant. Which of these skimmers is more appropriate for my size system?

Jon Malkerson likes this.
  4. kgk

kgk Active Member

Looking for skimmer recommendations for a Waterbox 75.2. I figure it’s in the 60 gallon total water volume range. Skimmer chamber is 9.48”x8.50”. I also prefer AC pumps in skimmers but could be talked into DC if it hits a significant point. Things I value, in general order:
    - noise (quieter the better)
    - ease of maintenance
    - performance
    - price

Hemmdog likes this.
  5. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Reef octopus eSsence 130.

6. kgk

kgk Active Member

That one was on my short list. It has great reviews on BRS and seems very similar to the Nyos at a better price point.

Hemmdog likes this.
  7. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Yea I had one on my 90g, now I’m using it on my 40b/55 water volume build, it’s gonna be awesome. It’s a great skimmer.

8. OutsideBrian

OutsideBrian Active Member

Looking for some pointers here. I got a skimmer second hand so no instructions. Bubble magnus c5.5
    Does this look like it needs to be in less water? It’s currently in ten inches[​IMG][​IMG]

Hemmdog likes this.
  9. Hemmdog

A tiny bit less or close the valve a bit. You want the foam to be at the separation between the collection cup and the neck when it’s “idling” aka not going crazy cleaning right after a feeding or a similar scenario.

10. OutsideBrian

I really don’t understand the way this thing works :)
    I don’t have any adjustment on it. I raised it about half an inch and now have this?
    Seems like it was working better in more water but I don’t know what I am looking at.
    [​IMG]

11. reeftivo

needs to be in more water. i think they were referring to adjusting the internal water level of the skimmer.

run it an inch deeper from your original pic. After that you may need to open the valve a bit after it's in more water so the water level inside the skimmer isn't too high.

12. reeftivo

an inch more water from where you were originally at, and raise the break line a bit, then let it settle in with no fiddling.

you should be fine

upload_2019-4-16_9-5-10.png

upload_2019-4-16_8-59-56.png

upload_2019-4-16_9-4-49.png

mrjoev likes this.
  13. reeftivo

this skimmer should be able to have the internal water level raised or lowered. the part of the standpipe above where the water exits should be able to be turned left or right when twisted to raise levels up or down.

it's what they call a wedge pipe

14. OutsideBrian

Yup that did it. I’ll admit I had no idea what you were talking about and took it out of the sump and blew it apart looking for something adjustable.[​IMG]

15. reeftivo

Great, now just run it an inch deeper than in your previous pics, then turn the wedge pipe until the internal water level has the breaking bubbles at that red mark I drew.

16. Nyx101

Nyx101 Active Member

Hi all, I currently have a sca 302 skimmer but am looking at a psk 200 skimmer for sale cheap. Is it worth the upgrade; is it an upgrade? Looking for advice, price is higher on the eshop psk200 but hard to say if it is really proportional to improved quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted