Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5-yr old Reef Octopus Regal 170-INT with a DC-3500S skimmer pump. The skimmer pump starts making bubbles pretty well, but then gradually the bubbles disappear over the span of a minute. Any thoughts on the issue? Is it the impeller? I took apart the pump, cleaned impeller with vinegar, but same issue remains - upon turning on the skimmer pump, it makes a ton of bubbles, but then gradually fewer and fewer. It maintains a constant water level, just few to no bubbles...

Thanks for any input.
did you make sure the venturi where the airline connects to the pump is free of obstruction and/or build up?

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used a BM B12 skimmer? Can’t find much in the way of reviews. Trying to see how well it would do on a heavily stocked sps system or maybe even an alternative.

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently impulse bought a used Skimz Pyramid sp187 off ebay. I don't have any experience with full size skimmers - only nano skimmers. I tested it in a 5 gallon bucket of freshwater and it seems to only create large bubbles. No fine foam/bubbles that I see in pics of other skimmers.

Curious if there is an issue with this skimmer or if it's just from it being in clean freshwater? Its hard to get a good pic. Any ideas?

After the initial test I cleaned the whole thing in citric acid but didn't make much of a difference.

IMG_20200522_173657.jpg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently impulse bought a used Skimz Pyramid sp187 off ebay. I don't have any experience with full size skimmers - only nano skimmers. I tested it in a 5 gallon bucket of freshwater and it seems to only create large bubbles. No fine foam/bubbles that I see in pics of other skimmers.

Curious if there is an issue with this skimmer or if it's just from it being in clean freshwater? Its hard to get a good pic. Any ideas?

After the initial test I cleaned the whole thing in citric acid but didn't make much of a difference.

IMG_20200522_173657.jpg
freshwater doesn't skim like SW the surface tension is wrong or something. of course by freshwater you might have meant new sw. if so ... nevermind.

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
freshwater doesn't skim like SW the surface tension is wrong or something. of course by freshwater you might have meant new sw. if so ... nevermind.
No salt. Just water from the faucet. Thanks for the info!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20200522_173657.jpg
wont work in fresh

only salt.

PiSoup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a Reef Octopus Classic 1000 skimmer and am having trouble setting the height of the collection right. When it is set high enough so that the foam it collects is dry there is some water flowing through the overflow. Is that a problem at all? It seems like somewhat protein-rich water is probably getting pumped back into the tank because of this.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a Reef Octopus Classic 1000 skimmer and am having trouble setting the height of the collection right. When it is set high enough so that the foam it collects is dry there is some water flowing through the overflow. Is that a problem at all? It seems like somewhat protein-rich water is probably getting pumped back into the tank because of this.
not sure what you are referring to. water must exit the skimmer whether it's an HOB, in sump or external.
can you post a pic?

PiSoup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what you are referring to. water must exit the skimmer whether it's an HOB, in sump or external.
can you post a pic?
20200529_162918.jpg

This overflow, just beneath the collection cup set screw. Not the regular return back to the tank.

The skimmer has only been running for 2 weeks now.
Thanks so much for the help!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that hole is there to keep the water level from exceeding it and overflowing the cup.

You may want to watch the whole video, but they explain what it is at 10:25:

PiSoup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow, even though I watched that very video when setting up, I completely missed that! Thanks so much!

bulldogniner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a few questions about my skimmer,
  1. My cup runneth over
    1. My skimmer can run well for 2-3 days they all of the sudden erupt to a massive wet skim. I am adjusting slowly and and setting the bubbles to top about 1/3 of the way up the chamber in the collection cup. I monitor it for a few days and it is working well. I got to sleep or work and come back and it is just pumping water into the collection cup. What gives?
  2. Vibration noise
    1. Somedays my skimmer is loud other days it is not. I've moved it around the sump, adjusted the air intake slightly and checked to make sure it wasn't up against any part of the sump to reduce vibration. What else should I be doing?
  3. Cleaning
    1. Is it necessary and if so how often should the skimmer be removed and cleaned, excluding the collection chamber which is cleaned as needed when it gets filled or is dirty?
FYI I have been using a Warner Marine Skimmer for the past 5-6 years.

skimmer.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a few questions about my skimmer,
  1. My cup runneth over
    1. My skimmer can run well for 2-3 days they all of the sudden erupt to a massive wet skim. I am adjusting slowly and and setting the bubbles to top about 1/3 of the way up the chamber in the collection cup. I monitor it for a few days and it is working well. I got to sleep or work and come back and it is just pumping water into the collection cup. What gives?
  2. Vibration noise
    1. Somedays my skimmer is loud other days it is not. I've moved it around the sump, adjusted the air intake slightly and checked to make sure it wasn't up against any part of the sump to reduce vibration. What else should I be doing?
  3. Cleaning
    1. Is it necessary and if so how often should the skimmer be removed and cleaned, excluding the collection chamber which is cleaned as needed when it gets filled or is dirty?
FYI I have been using a Warner Marine Skimmer for the past 5-6 years.

skimmer.jpg
that looks like my old MF series. Good skimmer, but mine had a sedra pump. mine started doing the same thing after a couple years running, then the pump finally gave up. I got a replacement pump for it and that only lasted 6 months, so i shelved the unit. PSKs have been adapted to those with some success.

edit! now that i think more about that skimmer, it wasn't an sedra pump, it was an Eden pump.

tspreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Diablo 160 Protein Skimmer that the pump is on its last leg. Without changing to some other type of pump I will have to replace the Skimmer. I love this skimmer but change has to happen sometimes. That being said I am l looking for a skimmer to replace it that is rated 180 gallon to 220 gallon heavy bioload. I was really liking the AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 because of how easy the collection cup comes off and how much of a beast people say it is. However I am just really down on all Chinese built crap right now. Does anyone know of a skimmer that can skim 220 gallon and has a collection cup that is not concreted in? Thanks in advance

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Diablo 160 Protein Skimmer that the pump is on its last leg. Without changing to some other type of pump I will have to replace the Skimmer. I love this skimmer but change has to happen sometimes. That being said I am l looking for a skimmer to replace it that is rated 180 gallon to 220 gallon heavy bioload. I was really liking the AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 because of how easy the collection cup comes off and how much of a beast people say it is. However I am just really down on all Chinese built crap right now. Does anyone know of a skimmer that can skim 220 gallon and has a collection cup that is not concreted in? Thanks in advance
what's your budget?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was thinking of around $500 but I have an open mind. Thanks
there are a few US made like life reef and Bashsea and they use pressure rated pumps with injectors, so not sure that would be a direction you would want to go if you would only want something in the US. Plus removal of their cups looks a little more involved than just twist and lift. Although the lifereef are probably the best of the US skimmers and have some great reviews. I almost pulled the trigger on an SVS2, but decided to go another route.
there are Italian made ultrareef akulas but right now they are only available from overseas. My Akula 160 is one of the best i've used. i would suggest looking into an Austrian designed ATB 840 v2 with DC pump. right around your price range and the 840 design skims very well. My old econo 840 without the controllable pump was in my top two of the skimmers I've used.

I'm sure others will suggest more.

Good luck with your search

tspreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not mean to sound anti world. I just believe merit for design and research when engineering these skimmers.
I was looking at the Bashsea but thought it would be tedious to Maintanence. Wonder where I can find a list of all skimmer companies world wide? Too see what is available

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back