Skimmer Q&A Thread

action21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you raise your whole skimmer higher there is less water in it. I cut a plastic egg crate and using zip ties I cut 4 pieces of pvc pipe to apx 3-4” and then put skimmer on top of that This raised the skimmer up which in turn lessens the water level in the skimmer

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you raise your whole skimmer higher there is less water in it. I cut a plastic egg crate and using zip ties I cut 4 pieces of pvc pipe to apx 3-4” and then put skimmer on top of that This raised the skimmer up which in turn lessens the water level in the skimmer

That’s a great idea!!

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers have some sort of adjustable water lever (for inside the skimmer). Try and find that first. If not, more air means less water, and that may drop the internal water level a little.

Also, most skimmers have an optimal water depth they are supposed to operate in.

If your sump has adjustable baffles, you can try and lower the water in the skimmer chamber that way, or raise the skimmer by placing it on a stand.

In any case, the water inside if the skimmer should come somewhere close the the bottom of the collection cup, and allow a dry foam to build, then push up the inner section of the cup, then overflow into the cup itself.

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers have some sort of adjustable water lever (for inside the skimmer). Try and find that first. If not, more air means less water, and that may drop the internal water level a little.

Also, most skimmers have an optimal water depth they are supposed to operate in.

If your sump has adjustable baffles, you can try and lower the water in the skimmer chamber that way, or raise the skimmer by placing it on a stand.

In any case, the water inside if the skimmer should come somewhere close the the bottom of the collection cup, and allow a dry foam to build, then push up the inner section of the cup, then overflow into the cup itself.

Does this look better? I didn’t raise it, but messed with the different settings.

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1395.JPG

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!
OK, just so you know this is my first post so I know nothing about forum posting. Also I am new to aquariums since I haven’t had one since 1970. Recently purchased a used Red Sea Reefer 170 and have it up and running. Been running for a month and all seems well. My problem As I know it is with my skimmer. It has a label on it that says “devil Red” with a picture of a devils face in red. That is all I know about it. It is in my sump with 8 inches of water. I have taken the Moyer apart and cleaned it as well as the rest of the skimmer. Now come the problem. I can get it tuned in and it appears to be working onl it fills the collection in 24-36 hours and the water is like dark tea. If I move it to remove my filter sock it goes crazy and air bubbles overflow the cup as well as coming from the bottom of the skimmer. It takes me a couple of days to get it to working again. Is this a result of a cheap skimmer or do I have something setup wrong? I have searched the net and cannot find the skimmer but have found one that looks like mine and it is a model 250 priced between 88 and 100 dollars. Maybe a company buyout? Thanks for any advice. Dub

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking diablo skimmer but yours may be a similar brand to this. Maybe not the same model but a good chance it's the same manufacturer. Not a lot of info on these. I would say get a pic up of it in sump and lets take a look.

1566478863236.png

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a raised ledge out of egg crate and pvc for legs. about 4” tall and set skimmer on that.
i was thinking diablo skimmer but yours may be a similar brand to this. Maybe not the same model but a good chance it's the same manufacturer. Not a lot of info on these. I would say get a pic up of it in sump and lets take a look.

1566478863236.png
bingo, that is the skimmer I have. Anyone have any suggestions on it's operation?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all else fails and your skimmer keeps giving you issues after member feedback, i would consider a more proven brand of skimmer if you intend to be vested in using one. There are some really good smaller units like the Tunze comline 9004 you may want to take a look at. they are very versatile units and are not too pricey.
1566488872879.png

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use a Lifereef skimmer looks interesting.
check out this older thread. may have some good info for you

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what level do you have it running at in the sump?

it's recommended at 7 to 9.5 i think.

Filetsr socks; Are you using the felt filter socks or the mesh? Also, how do you clean them?
My water level is at 7 inches and my filter sock is a red sea felt at 100 micro. I clean them in the washing machine on low setting and no additives.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water level is at 7 inches and my filter sock is a red sea felt at 100 micro. I clean them in the washing machine on low setting and no additives.
7 inches should be fine. any pics of where the foam head is adjusted to? a short video of it running would be nice if you can post one.

for what it's worth I run mesh socks because they are easier for me to maintain and rinse. They let a little bit more through for the critters. I run sock-less when i'm out for extended periods (vacation etc..). I've ran felt socks in the past, but had to rinse them sometimes two or three times, when new, just to get production residues off them so my skimmers wouldn't go Berserk. i rinse my felt socks with a cap full of bleach on warm cycle, then do another rinse after the first cycle stops. this helps minimalize any left over detergent residual from previous clothes washing.

You say the over foaming only happens when the filter socks are removed? wierd! You also stated that you are getting a full cup every 24 to 36 hours, so i would set the foam head a bit lower in the body to get a dryer content. try just a small adjustment and let it rest for a couples hours, then see where you are at.

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 inches should be fine. any pics of where the foam head is adjusted to? a short video of it running would be nice if you can post one.

for what it's worth I run mesh socks because they are easier for me to maintain and rinse. They let a little bit more through for the critters. I run sock-less when i'm out for extended periods (vacation etc..). I've ran felt socks in the past, but had to rinse them sometimes two or three times, when new, just to get production residues off them so my skimmers wouldn't go Berserk. i rinse my felt socks with a cap full of bleach on warm cycle, then do another rinse after the first cycle stops. this helps minimalize any left over detergent residual from previous clothes washing.

You say the over foaming only happens when the filter socks are removed? wierd! You also stated that you are getting a full cup every 24 to 36 hours, so i would set the foam head a bit lower in the body to get a dryer content. try just a small adjustment and let it rest for a couples hours, then see where you are at.

As you can see from the picture below the foam head is just at the top of the cup inner tube. I just cleaned the cup this morning so nothing is in it at this time. The excessive foaming was not caused the sock change rather from me tilting the skimmer so I could pull the sock trey out. Also I remeasured the water level and it is at 8.25 inches. Iva e 4 felt socks and 1 mesh sock. It didn’t appear that the mesh sock removed much so I started using the felt. As you can see from the picture there is not much room for the skimmer after I partitioned the sump for a refugium to the left of the skimmer/sock area.
13E1B61C-6C85-4897-B31C-A7DF7CCCD898.jpeg

Shrimplets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!
do i really need a skimmer? I'm looking at a 40g nuvo tank and would like to know if a skimmer is something i should invest in.
Stocking plan is as follows

-1 Watchman Goby
-1 Fire goby
-2 Clowns
-2 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
-1 Pistol Shrimp

Coral

-Ricordea Florida
-Rhodactus Mushroom
-Frogspawn
-Xenia

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back