Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously posted about a skimmer i was returning but now I want to hear about what other people have experienced with the skimmers I am looking into. I have a Red Sea 750xxl (160g Display) equipped with a Trigger Triton44 sump that has a skimmer section which is 9.5" x 15.5". The tank is planned to be an SPS Tank running the Triton method. I was looking into buying a Nyos Quantum 220 but I'm a bit nervous about hearing some of the reviews being bad on a $800 skimmer. I'm considering either a Nyos Quantum 220 or a Reef Octopus REGAL 200SSS 8" SPACE SAVING PROTEIN SKIMMER (VARIOS). Apparently the Reef Octopus just barely fits in the sump despite supposedly being slightly too large. If you have any other recommendations I would like to hear them. Tell me what you think of the skimmers I'm looking at, I would rather not buy an expensive paperweight. Thanks!

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a skimmer based on your bioload. Getting an oversized skimmer can be problematic by pulling too much out of your tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is planned to be heavily stocked. Both the skimmers I was considering are recommended based on the bioload I'm looking at, however I am worried about some of the terribly negative reviews on the quantum 220, as well as the low amount of information on people's experiences with them.
Get a skimmer based in your bioload. Getting an oversized skimmer can be problematic by pulling too much out of your tank.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger kind of screwed up with this on the Triton 44. They should have made the skimmer section a bit bigger to give you more options. Just an inch would have made a big difference.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I kind of wish I bought the Synergy Reef version, but I have to stick with this one
Trigger kind of screwed up with this on the Triton 44. They should have made the skimmer section a bit bigger to give you more options. Just an inch would have made a big difference.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Kaiser. I recently got the triton 44 sump also. I barely fit a Reef Octo 210 in the small skimmer section. I would have gladly given up an inch or so from the big refugium for a bigger skim section .

awcoste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kaiser,
I would check with Battlecorals on a Deltec model. I have had the 1000ix for 4 or 5 months on a 120 and am super impressed. I was a little nervous by the small footprint, but this is a great skimmer. I don't have any experience with the other skimmers other than Precision Marine Bullet XL1 back in the day.

Jason Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a quantum 220 in my triton 44 for just over a year.
The first one I got had problems but ecotech stepped up to the plate and got me taken care of, quickly.
The skimmer pulls good Skimmate and I’ve been very happy with it. My only complaint is the lack of post purchase accessories. There are no neck extensions or pre fabbed neck cleaners (that I know of). Otherwise I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one again.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with a Regal 150SSS and upgrade in a few years if you need to, but with a big fuge I doubt you will need to.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?
I’ve been running a quantum 220 in my triton 44 for just over a year.
The first one I got had problems but ecotech stepped up to the plate and got me taken care of, quickly.
The skimmer pulls good Skimmate and I’ve been very happy with it. My only complaint is the lack of post purchase accessories. There are no neck extensions or pre fabbed neck cleaners (that I know of). Otherwise I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one again.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just stumbled across a great option, the Deltec 1000i/ix is only 155 x 220 mm footprint which is only 6.1" x 8.7"

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would go with 150, but the 220 also has a Dc motor so you could dial it down if it strips too much, especially on a triton based system

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back