Skimmer Recommendations for a Reefer 750xxl

launchnukes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for a while and just got my red sea reefer 750xxl. plan to run as a fairly heavily stocked sps tank. display is 160 or so gallons. any skimmer suggestions? looking in the mid-mid/upper price ranges...maybe $450-$650ish

i really like the build quality of the nyos quantum but unsure whether i would go with a 160-220
was looking at RO elite 200int but it's about 1" too wide for my sump
also considering the vertex omega 200i but seems to have mixed reviews

suggestions?

Thanks.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Vertex omega 180i on my 120g with around 60g total water for the sump and its a geat skimmer right in your price point. You might want to go with the next model up the 200. All the major vendors are running a 25% off sale on them now so its a great time to buy one.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deleted

Last edited:

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a RO Elite 220 Int on my XXL 750, and am very happy with it so far. It will just barely fit in the skimmer compartment with the Refugium baffle in the back slots (making the refugium section larger). A smaller footprint would have been nice.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a AquaMaxx ConeS Q3 on my reefer 750 and it kicks butt. I keep it in the first chamber after the filter socks. Fits perfectly.

OP
OP
L

launchnukes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys.

It's nice to know the 220 elite fits in the back with the fuge being larger...i was afraid the 200 wasn't gonna fit.

And that the co3 fits too

OP
OP
L

launchnukes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a RO Elite 220 Int on my XXL 750, and am very happy with it so far. It will just barely fit in the skimmer compartment with the Refugium baffle in the back slots (making the refugium section larger). A smaller footprint would have been nice.
Is your skimmer compartment 11" front to back as well? Website says footprint is 12"+ for the 220. Is the skimmer smaller than that?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your skimmer compartment 11" front to back as well? Website says footprint is 12"+ for the 220. Is the skimmer smaller than that?
I just measured it, and it is exactly 11 1/8" inside dimension, however I did modify things a bit which may have allowed it to fit. I did not like the way the water flowed with the stock refugium baffle, so I ordered some 1/4" black acrylic and made my own baffle with the weir at the left side going vertical instead of horizontal. This forces the water to go the length of the sump through my Siporax than through my Chaeto before going into the skimmer chamber. Of course the acrylic is more flexible than glass so that may be why I was able to fit the skimmer in. It is an exact fit with the acrylic baffle. That being said, it would fit easily if I had the baffle in the front position, but this would make my refugium area half the size that it is. Just to clarify, my skimmer is in the back compartment as it is larger. if you look at my build thread you'll see picture of the setup, but that was before I created my acrylic baffle. I hope this helps.

Back