Slow Cycle... Has Something Gone Wrong?

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved from Chicago to Atlanta and before leaving Chicago I sold the three tanks I had as my moving company refused to move them. After getting settled I went out got a small Fluval EVO 13.5 tank because I missed having a tank running.

It has been up for a little over two weeks and my readings this morning (Nov 14) were:
Nitrates - 40 ppm
Nitrites - 2 ppm

I feel like with this size tank and the steps I have taken I should be reading much closer to 0ppm on both. I will try to provide as much information as I can as far as the process but I am happy to answer any other questions if needed.

October 29 - Tank setup with 10lb bag of Live Sand, Dry Rock, Bio Media, and Filter Floss. Added Dr. Tims One and Only and dosed with Dr. Tims Ammonia per instructions.
October 31 - Second dose of Dr. Tims Ammonia per instructions
Nov 3 - Third dose of Dr. Tims Ammonia per instructions
Nov 8 - First day of Ammonia reading 0 - Nitrate 160ppm, Nitrite 2ppm
Nov 9 - Added powerhead and upgraded return pump to increase flow, also added 1oz bottle of Turbostart
Nov 11 - 5 gallon water change

Previously I have cycled with just some Dr. Tims One and Only or Turbostart and within days everything is level and ready to go so I am interested if something may have gone wrong here.

I have definitely learned that taking your time with these tanks pays off so I am in no rush to stock it, would rather have stable and reliable parameters, but I want to get some other opinions on if something has potentially gone wrong.

Hendo1133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're doing fine, you are tending down, just let it keep settling. in a couple more days do another 5 gallon water change and it will continue to lower, no need to rush it early on. Just don't add anymore ammonia and be patient. The Nitrates are so high because adding the ammonia to feed the cycle ends with it being converted to nitrates. Sounds like everything is right now track.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a cycled tank to me. Why would you expect the Nitrates to go down? Nitrates mean the tank is cycled.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank meets all the characters for being cycled in 2020, it’s done.

but if we evaluate from 2005 perspective, wait two more weeks :)

you have met the timeframe on a cycling chart for ammonia, and paid for bottle bac that works in ten days, all set for 2020. The only param that matters now to an allowed start date is ammonia, you’re all set. Nitrite has no bearing at all and nitrate, if it shows on a given test kit, is nice confirmation

no cycle stalls in reefing, this has met the timeframe for the bottle bac used and from Dr Reefs bottle bac thread, not slowed at all. Done.

no cycle stalls= relative to the boosters used. Let’s say all this bottle bac was dead, the start date reverts to the unassisted marine cycle date which is however long a set of rocks take to become loaded by environmental/ not purchased bacteria. That may take 90 days, but it’s not stalled thats an appropriate time for natural contaminations to seat. If you added live bac and couldn’t meet the start date on the bottle, that’s stalled, but only if you’re using seneye to make the call

in no way will your bacteria starve or retrograde, a cycle cannot be undone without antibiotic medication, freezing or boiling. Humans don’t have much control at all over what aquatic bacteria do. But it helps promote retail sales if we think we do. I have multiple threads handy showing unfed tanks for years passing oxidation testing just fine at the end, DJ city has a 36 month fallow proofing thread.

Last edited:

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see the Nitrates a bit lower and the nitrites much closer to 0 before putting any fish in. I did plan on getting the CUC in next week.

Well you are either going to have to keep dosing ammonia, which will mean more nitrates. Or you'll starve out the bacteria you have. Then when you put fish in, your tank will recycle again.

I had that happen many years ago when I tried to cycle a tank the old fashion way. Which is why I now use bacteria in a bottle and then put fish in. But I'm guessing even with bacteria in a bottle if you don't put fish in at some point, you are likely to lose the cycle.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back