Small 5G Frag Tank

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

After I got tired of seeing so many frag racks and frag plugs everywhere, I decided to setup a 5G fluval tank I had laying around just for frags.

It got filled up pretty quickly so I might have to upgrade it soon lol.

82877027-D02F-4E2F-AE07-8031B8680BBC.jpeg
9C3EC238-AB1A-4B8B-820C-728CC2CABE28.jpeg
8D864E1E-53CE-4B92-9FC3-BAC1FA8CC55E.jpeg
82877027-D02F-4E2F-AE07-8031B8680BBC.jpeg

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised I’m going to go over the details of this little guy.

Tank Equipment:
  • Fluval EVO V.
  • Fluval stock return pump.
  • Tunze Nanostream Wavemaker.
  • Orbit Marine Pro
Filtration:
This is a very simple and straight forward system. I’m mostly keeping zoas in there so the demand for nutrients is low and the bio load is low.
Even though this tank’s bio load is low I do a 50% water change every 2-3 weeks BUT I do it from my display tank. Now let me explain my reasoning... The displays water is perfectly good for zoas, if I had LPS or SPS in the frag tank then I’d have to replenish alk and cal so it wouldn’t be so great.

Well that’s it for this time! If you guys have any questions about my super simple setup hit me up! Also maybe if you are kind enough check my Instagram and YouTube :D 305_Reefer.

Before you go! Next update will be my light schedule :)

View Badges
Awesome!
Already thinking about using my 13.5 Evo in the far future to use as my frag tank once I upgrade to a bigger tank!

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!
Already thinking about using my 13.5 Evo in the far future to use as my frag tank once I upgrade to a bigger tank!
I love it! The 13.5 EVO will give you a bit more room to work with... one piece of advice would be to make sure you leave space to clean detritus off the bottom

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! The 13.5 EVO will give you a bit more room to work with... one piece of advice would be to make sure you leave space to clean detritus off the bottom

+1 to the statement about leaving space for cleaning! I made that mistake with the 20g long tank I use as a frag/invert QT tank. Nice little setup you have there!

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the statement about leaving space for cleaning! I made that mistake with the 20g long tank I use as a frag/invert QT tank. Nice little setup you have there!
Thanks!! Yeah i made the same mistake so now that frag tank gets cleaned up maaaaybe once every 2 months or so hahah but hey it serves its purpose.

View Badges

Space in the sides? Or height space?

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I had the same idea with a 22 gal 3ft long tank I had laying around in the garage... Mine also filled up pretty quick. I need to debate going bigger too but I don't know what I'll do with all the frags. You definitely have me thinking now.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool little tank bro!

OP
OP
Rogued_Reefer

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I had the same idea with a 22 gal 3ft long tank I had laying around in the garage... Mine also filled up pretty quick. I need to debate going bigger too but I don't know what I'll do with all the frags. You definitely have me thinking now.
I’ve thought about going bigger and I likely will lol just after the covid craze is over... plan on upgrading the DT to a 130 shallow lagoon and add a 30g frag tank both plumbed to the same sump thinking of doing it like 30-40g Sump with display fuge.

The 5G then will become a mini DT for the nightstand lol or coral QT nightstand haha

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going the same way with my EVO V once my main tank is ready in a few months.

To deal with maintenance I'll have two trays so I can pick on up and stack them to clean underneath. The tray near the AIO area will be two levels with a low light beneath it. I'll have two 8xfrag magnet trays on both left and right. A wave maker will be located on the far side of the AIO. A single pipe will come up the center of the tank to deflect the strong flow of the pump so I have random flow for SPS, LPS and Zoa's.

I have a question. Why avoid a sand bed? I'm going to use one for sure. In my opinion it will enrich the bio load with different bacteria and provide stability to fight algae. Floss, Purigen, and Matrix will be in the tray. I'll also have said sifting snails as well as a few more for algae. I'll have a chromis in there to pick at pests as well as a peppermint shrimp. Utility animals only. I wont touch the sandbed though.

Love to see how yours manages. I'll have 2xKessil 150's over mine. Water changes will be like yours probably.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back