OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is why I only put in a little water. I have the wood shims, but maybe cedar shingles would be better. If I use shims what about the center of the stand. It will not be supporting any weight. Maybe put some under the center also just enough to support the tank. No adjusters.

Yep, center also. .5 inch should be easy to fix. Might have to shim the back also. Wait to do it until after you locate your level. Night

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, center also. .5 inch should be easy to fix. Might have to shim the back also. Wait to do it until after you locate your level. Night
Of course. If I can't find it will buy another. Goodnight.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't level the tank by putting anything between the stand and the tank. Rather, level the stand if the floor is not level. A good stand should have very flat top so that all the vertical panels of glass touch the stand though out. If the middle of the stand does not touch the glass then you need to change the stand. If the empty stand rock when you put it on top of the stand, then you need to return them. Do not attempt to shimmy the middle of the glass panel, or the corner of the tank. You will have a leak or crack bottom panel later on. If your floor is not flat, then raise the foot of the stand to level it.
If the floor is level and either the stand or the tank imperfections result in a tank not level, then this is BIG trouble and you should RETURN THE STAND OR THE TANK OR BOTH. Do not tolerate any measurable imperfection if this is the case. This will result in leaking or cracking of the glass panel(s) in the future.

The stand and the bottom of the tank need to be flat. Tilting of this flat surface a little resulting in one side or front or back to be a little higher is OK (other than cosmetic) and will not casue leaking, but warping of this surface will result in problem. The larger the tank, the more critical this is.

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't level the tank by putting anything between the stand and the tank. Rather, level the stand if the floor is not level. A good stand should have very flat top so that all the vertical panels of glass touch the stand though out. If the middle of the stand does not touch the glass then you need to change the stand. If the empty stand rock when you put it on top of the stand, then you need to return them. Do not attempt to shimmy the middle of the glass panel, or the corner of the tank. You will have a leak or crack bottom panel later on. If your floor is not flat, then raise the foot of the stand to level it.
If the floor is level and either the stand or the tank imperfections result in a tank not level, then this is BIG trouble and you should RETURN THE STAND OR THE TANK OR BOTH. Do not tolerate any measurable imperfection if this is the case. This will result in leaking or cracking of the glass panel(s) in the future.

The stand and the bottom of the tank need to be flat. Tilting of this flat surface a little resulting in one side or front or back to be a little higher is OK (other than cosmetic) and will not casue leaking, but warping of this surface will result in problem. The larger the tank, the more critical this is.
Thank you. I am thinking of using cedar shingles as shims under the stand.

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the best way to remove or lift the clam's foot off glass? Should I use a credit card to slide under the foot?

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, I had not thought of one actually attaching to the aquarium glass. I might have to rethink my substrate. And I hope it was understood to shim under the stand.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a shape knife or scissors tilt the clam to one side cut the threads then tilt him to the other side and cut the threads. Be careful not to damage the foot.
Oh my, I had not thought of one actually attaching to the aquarium glass. I might have to rethink my substrate. And I hope it was understood to shim under the stand.
Well the tank/stand leveled out on it's own, no need for shims. The tank is almost full, I am using my new Oase 600 and a used Fluval G6 until I can transfer my sump over.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharp cut result in less pull on the Buyssus gland. Likely CC would be OK but I want no damage to the gland or foot of the clam

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my husband bought a small crocea clam for me. I have had it for about a month now. Will post a photo soon.

Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is. Along with a LPS I have had for a while. Thing is huge during the day

263DE012-4055-45E9-BD5C-1294665A0437.jpeg F63F2545-EDEB-40F3-A638-3768994137BA.jpeg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had to make sure which clam was going into the tank since it’s small. I purchased a mimosa clam from PEA. Hybrid and different. Its grown well, blue, tan, teal stripes through middle.
2198AE85-7E03-4AE8-AA22-9EFA0C44738C.jpeg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it reaches 10-12 inches the tank will be mostly clam.

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Many people enjoy maxima clams because they are usually very blue and don’t get overly large. They can be blue, green, gold, brown, and have a lot of pattern varieties.

Crocea clams are also very good, they come in lots of colors like blue, green, gold, and brown with a lot of patterns. They don’t get too big either.

Clams are very easy as long as you have good water quality. Keep your calcium up because they need it for their shell. Small ones also enjoy being fed phytoplankton a couple times a week. They need high light (I have mine under an AI Prime) and they will scoot around a little to get in a position they like. They should be exactly upright to make sure they get enough light and they should have some hard substrate/clam cradle to sit on so they stay upright. Don’t move your clam after it attaches, this could damage the foot.
Make sure your clam is very healthy when you get it (if you wave your hand over it to make a shadow it should close very quickly, and check for pyramid snails on the outside)

Here’s a pic of my little maxima!
A9887FB1-FBA1-43CB-BD90-C0270287C301.jpeg
How long ave you had this clam?

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. And very small. I had heard that you should get a larger one since they have a better chance to survive. I really like to get things small and watch them grow. Not into instant gratification unless it is chocolate!

Thanks for all the information. Sadly I will have to order mine as I live in Wyoming. Any suggestions on ordering one?
Pacific East aquaculture and divers den are probably where I would buy clams online. PEA has really high prices, but quality clams and great selection (within maximas). DD has lower prices but very limited selection.
TRy Algae barn

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back