OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don’t see very many crocea in the LFS near me, and and when I do they’re from people who traded them in at the store cause they didn’t want the clam anymore. Do you mind telling us how much the clam cost you? I know they’re more expensive than maxima but I’m wondering how much more expensive? Do you think the quality of the colors is better and they are worth the extra cash?

I think they are worth the higher cost because they are smaller. And that they grow slow is also an attraction for me. I have 3 tanks. 40 gallon breeder, 65 gallon RedSea and a 140 gallon. I still like to buy everything I can small. Just like to watch them grow I guess.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a bit confused on what I read. Can anyone give me advice on smaller clams for an aquarium? I would like one that is brightly colored and will not outgrow my tank. I am not giving the size of my tank since that is subject to change. Just want to know which clams are smaller and which names it goes by. This being my issue mostly. Just when I think I know the right clam I see it under a slightly differing name and get confused if it is the same. And if you have any long term experience with them I would appreciate hearing it.

Shelley

We have many customers in the hobby and aquaculture that use our phytoplankton concentrates to feed to their clams and other bivalves. Our SDaquarist is a great blend for them. It is a blend of the 6 most widely used marine microalgae for use with invertebrates, chosen for their superior nutritional value: Isochrysis, Pavlova, Tetraselmis, Chaetoceros calcitrans, Thalassiosira weissflogii and Thalassiosira pseudonana If you decide to feed phyto to your clam, check us out here: https://reefnutrition.com/products/sdaquarist Our algae is the most concentrated on the market making it a very economical choice.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Chad

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AlgaeBarn, A contributor in this very thread and a R2R sponsor. No personal experience but here is a link to captive bred crocea on their site https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/captive-bred/invertebrates/clams/crocea-clam/
@AlgaeBarn is a no go for me. I wanted to buy several hundred dollars worth of clams but only if I see Ultra Maxima and Crocea before I buy them. I send an email to them to request pictures of them before I buy but got this back instead from Customer Service Team.
Good morning,

Sorry we missed you in chat, unfortunately we are unable to provide WYSIWYG on our items, mostly due to order volumes we take in. I do apologize for this, but would like you to know we take pride in the products that we send out, and have our guarantee policy to make sure you are taken care of in the event things did not ship as planned. :)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do, and thank you for choosing AlgaeBarn!
Sorry, but I am partial with my money and dont wat to part from several hundred of dollars unless I know what I am getting. I am not a woman, but I am pickly about my Crocea and Maxima. I guess they are too busy for me and I will take my business elsewhere where they have a little time for me.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn is a no go for me. I wanted to buy several hundred dollars worth of clams but only if I see Ultra Maxima and Crocea before I buy them. I send an email to them to request pictures of them before I buy but got this back instead from Customer Service Team.

Sorry, but I am partial with my money and dont wat to part from several hundred of dollars unless I know what I am getting. I am not a woman, but I am pickly about my Crocea and Maxima. I guess they are too busy for me and I will take my business elsewhere where they have a little time for me.

I got much the same response. So a no go for me also. I feel they are able to unload specimens of poor coloration in this way. For the same amounts you would expect to pay for nicer ones. Though I also think that some are really nice clams. I am just not a gambler.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got much the same response. So a no go for me also. I feel they are able to unload specimens of poor coloration in this way. For the same amounts you would expect to pay for nicer ones. Though I also think that some are really nice clams. I am just not a gambler.
This is the reason I don’t want to order the clam package deal. It’s a good price but I don’t want to get stuck with a poorly colored clam. The price just makes it seem too good to be true.

hizbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest Crocea, they do not get big but can be a Giant focal point in your tank. I have had mine for a little over 3.5 years and in that time it has grown to 5 inches maybe a bit more in that time. I got mine when it was barley an inch long ,maybe smaller and it has done extremely well but the trick with Crocea is they love light. I have mine at about 400 par and in pretty high flow I never fed it phyto even though it is recommended but as long as they get enough light they will do fine. Crocea are rock dwellers so don't be afraid to keep one off the sand bed. Crocea are not cheap by any means but worth the price. I wish I had the pics of it when I first got it, so tiny but I do have a pic from 2 years ago when it was a little over 3 inches March of 2018 is when the pic was taken I will post in a bit. It's crazy to see how much it has grown from when I first got it. I will post a pic of it now when I get back home in about a week if I remember, lost my phone and I need to take a new pic.
Hey There! Question: (and i'm relatively a noob, so bear w/me!) when we get our 144 half cylinder up, which will be mostly softies - emmulating Mike C. for the DREAM!) How do you attach to the rock? I will be building my scape with macro 400 and want to make a place(s) for an off the sand clam while i'm building. Thanx in advance!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey There! Question: (and i'm relatively a noob, so bear w/me!) when we get our 144 half cylinder up, which will be mostly softies - emmulating Mike C. for the DREAM!) How do you attach to the rock? I will be building my scape with macro 400 and want to make a place(s) for an off the sand clam while i'm building. Thanx in advance!
Not the right place to post this question, but I just arrange the rock without cement or tying it down. All personal preferences. I did a search on all thread title included aqua scape and this is what I got:

hizbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it! Thanx! and sorry about the wrong place! That's why I read a lot, but rarely post, I'm not too familiar with how ANY of these forum things work! I'm old, and no kids left at home to do stuff for me! ;Dead

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it! Thanx! and sorry about the wrong place! That's why I read a lot, but rarely post, I'm not too familiar with how ANY of these forum things work! I'm old, and no kids left at home to do stuff for me! ;Dead

No worries, I did it also in the beginning. Since I started this thread I am the OP. And we try to stay on topic. Your question is a bit off topic and deserving of its own thread. But it is also something I am thinking about. So if anyone wants to jump on it feel free. I love information. :D And welcome to Reef2Reef!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if somebody mentioned this already, but do you have a super stable and effective dosing system for this small tank? Any growing and healthy clam will consume massive amounts of carbonate and calcium and without continuous additions, could growth-limit a clam at least and crash a tank at worst. Do you have a good dosing system with kalkwasser using 2 or 3 part, CaRx, or the like?

This is one of the largest issues with keeping clams in a small tank.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if somebody mentioned this already, but do you have a super stable and effective dosing system for this small tank? Any growing and healthy clam will consume massive amounts of carbonate and calcium and without continuous additions, could growth-limit a clam at least and crash a tank at worst. Do you have a good dosing system with kalkwasser using 2 or 3 part, CaRx, or the like?

This is one of the largest issues with keeping clams in a small tank.

I have been giving it some thought. There is next to no other corals in this tank at the moment. I have some new lighting coming also. I have the means to dose. I just have never trusted a dosing system. Will be giving it some more thought.

thanks

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been giving it some thought. There is next to no other corals in this tank at the moment. I have some new lighting coming also. I have the means to dose. I just have never trusted a dosing system. Will be giving it some more thought.

thanks
I have a maxima in a 20 gallon, with biweekly water changes it’s doing just fine. I only dose right after water changes. I can’t speak for my levels because I don’t know them (never tested) but the clam is healthy and growing nicely

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have many customers in the hobby and aquaculture that use our phytoplankton concentrates to feed to their clams and other bivalves. Our SDaquarist is a great blend for them. It is a blend of the 6 most widely used marine microalgae for use with invertebrates, chosen for their superior nutritional value: Isochrysis, Pavlova, Tetraselmis, Chaetoceros calcitrans, Thalassiosira weissflogii and Thalassiosira pseudonana If you decide to feed phyto to your clam, check us out here: https://reefnutrition.com/products/sdaquarist Our algae is the most concentrated on the market making it a very economical choice.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Chad
My 6" clam loves your phyto-feast. Not the best of color but could not resist buying him at LFS 6 months ago.

clam.jpg clam2.jpg

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maxima in a 20 gallon, with biweekly water changes it’s doing just fine. I only dose right after water changes. I can’t speak for my levels because I don’t know them (never tested) but the clam is healthy and growing nicely

How many gallons at each change?

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:footgal: thanks. I blow out my sand a lot. Especially in my fish only tank. I have a large butterfly and tang. The butterfly is named Pumba. He earned it! There are two regal angels also and an unknown amount of small fish. I probably feed them to often. I have some cuc in quarantine I hope will help. I do between 4 & 6 in the 40 coral tank. No fish in there. I have the cuc in there right now.

My husband got tired of me taking so much time to buy a clam. He ordered one while I was at work. It is a crocus. It is blue and very small. I had no expected this. I am thinking of setting it on a small flat rock on the sand at first. With some other rubble around it. It is only about 1.25 inches. Thoughts? New lights should arrive next week.

Back