Small clams?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:footgal: thanks. I blow out my sand a lot. Especially in my fish only tank. I have a large butterfly and tang. The butterfly is named Pumba. He earned it! There are two regal angels also and an unknown amount of small fish. I probably feed them to often. I have some cuc in quarantine I hope will help. I do between 4 & 6 in the 40 coral tank. No fish in there. I have the cuc in there right now.

My husband got tired of me taking so much time to buy a clam. He ordered one while I was at work. It is a crocus. It is blue and very small. I had no expected this. I am thinking of setting it on a small flat rock on the sand at first. With some other rubble around it. It is only about 1.25 inches. Thoughts? New lights should arrive next week.
post pictures when you get him

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not 100% sure what you mean by "burn him", but guess that you ask if you should put him in very high light to begin with?
You should. They don't require less light when young and high light as they get older. Clams settle in one place all their live, either at 3 month old or 10 year old, they do not move so it make sense to provide the optimal light at the onset.
I know that a great majority of reefers do, but the one think I never do is acclimated my corals, anemones or clams to the light. I never dim my light, I just put the animal where I think they need and turn on the light.
I know that if animal from lower light, they will shed their zooxanthellae but to me, this is normal. I do know that their zooxanthellae population is heterogeneous and light change will result in change of the zoox population. This is normal to me. I rather than change quickly rather than slow adjust. If I really overshoot then I bleached them, but I have not have a completly bleached animal from too much light in many, many years, if ever.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant “burp”. Silly spell check. I see that some people say to if they have been out of water and are very small.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant “burp”. Silly spell check. I see that some people say to if they have been out of water and are very small.
You should try to move the the clam a bit to get all the air out of him. However I suspect that the clam is well able to do it himself.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should try to move the the clam a bit to get all the air out of him. However I suspect that the clam is well able to do it himself.

ok I will do so and see if the little guy needed any of my help or not. While I was a bit upset that my husband jumped the gun on me at first. I must admit I am getting excited.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is. Only been in the tank an hour. While the rock it is on is newer the tank has been up for a year or more. My new Reefi Duo Extreme LEDs arrive tomorrow. I am planning on adding an overflow and sump soon. I will need to temporarily transfer everything into a 20 gallon while I drill holes and get it done. Or might just purchase a new 40 breeder and just drill it. I know, should have done it last year. Last year this was a quarantine tank!

D13FE7C7-415C-44BA-BA2E-ECF8783EF2F1.jpeg 8A840319-E4F3-435B-87FD-47A529E5EB7C.jpeg

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the little guy was dead this morning. I am trying to understand what happened to better care for another later. It did arrive without a heating pack. And was in really cold water. Also the salinity was at 40. Could that have been the cause?

If anyone can give some thought on it please do. Also on your method of acclimation. I know there is more than one way to do anything successfully. So please tell me what works for you.

Thanks,
Shelley

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the little guy was dead this morning. I am trying to understand what happened to better care for another later. It did arrive without a heating pack. And was in really cold water. Also the salinity was at 40. Could that have been the cause?

If anyone can give some thought on it please do. Also on your method of acclimation. I know there is more than one way to do anything successfully. So please tell me what works for you.

Thanks,
Shelley
Sorry you lost your clam. I too lost several when I first started with clams. Small clams are harder to keep alive than large ones. All the clams I lost were small, the one I have now I purchased at LFS at around 6 inches and is doing well for over a year now. I just acclimate a little longer than fish, like you I did check temp and salinity of LFS water and to compare with DT water. The small ones require daily feeding of zooplankton and phytoplankton as compared to larger specimens, I'm sure you know what I mean. I forget,, what size tank and how l old is it?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost your clam. I too lost several when I first started with clams. Small clams are harder to keep alive than large ones. All the clams I lost were small, the one I have now I purchased at LFS at around 6 inches and is doing well for over a year now. I just acclimate a little longer than fish, like you I did check temp and salinity of LFS water and to compare with DT water. The small ones require daily feeding of zooplankton and phytoplankton as compared to larger specimens, I'm sure you know what I mean. I forget,, what size tank and how l old is it?
My clam.

clam.jpg clam2.jpg

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful tank. No LFS here. The tank the clam went into is a 40 gallon breeder. I have sps coral in it. And a 6 line erase. Nothing was bothering it yesterday. The tank has been set up for around a year.

Your clam is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful tank. No LFS here. The tank the clam went into is a 40 gallon breeder. I have sps coral in it. And a 6 line erase. Nothing was bothering it yesterday. The tank has been set up for around a year.

Your clam is perfect. Thanks for sharing.
Too bad you don't have a LFS close to you. If you can afford it try to buy a larger clam like 4-5 inch.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the move. I have been giving lots of thought to a new DT. My fish only tank is 140 gallons. The fish want more space. I think I will use the same sump without cleaning to help with the bio load at first. Funny how they move. You would think a clam couldn’t

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the move. I have been giving lots of thought to a new DT. My fish only tank is 140 gallons. The fish want more space. I think I will use the same sump without cleaning to help with the bio load at first. Funny how they move. You would think a clam couldn’t
Yeah, he won't be happy when I do move him. That is why I put him in the sand bed, if placed in the rock work they can fall and get stuck where they can't open. I should have put him on a piece of flat rock for him to attach to. My tank is a 46g bowfront with 30g sump.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, he won't be happy when I do move him. That is why I put him in the sand bed, if placed in the rock work they can fall and get stuck where they can't open. I should have put him on a piece of flat rock for him to attach to. My tank is a 46g bowfront with 30g sump.

Not to late to slip one under him. I hope they can't burrow into glass! What a great tank, love the tang also.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to late to slip one under him. I hope they can't burrow into glass! What a great tank, love the tang also.
Thank you. Well I just bought a 75gallon tank and stand from Petsmart on sale for $399.99, going to move everything from my 46g bowfront. So I started filling it with RO/DI water, I can't find my level so I just added water to 2-3 inches and with tape measure I checked the water level and I get 2 and 3/4" on the left and 2 and 1/4" on the right, so I assume it is not level. How do I level this? The stand sits on carpet and concrete slab floor.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Well I just bought a 75gallon tank and stand from Petsmart on sale for $399.99, going to move everything from my 46g bowfront. So I started filling it with RO/DI water, I can't find my level so I just added water to 2-3 inches and with tape measure I checked the water level and I get 2 and 3/4" on the left and 2 and 1/4" on the right, so I assume it is not level. How do I level this? The stand sits on carpet and concrete slab floor.

No pretty way. Use shims. Some stands come with adjusters. Might not be the correct name, but its what I call them. And shims should not be that noticeable with the carpet. Might want to remove some of the water first though.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the help I have been given here I am very eager to find a healthy clam. Will keep everyone posted. And thanks again. Feel free to continue to advise and by all means show me your clams!

Shelley

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pretty way. Use shims. Some stands come with adjusters. Might not be the correct name, but its what I call them. And shims should not be that noticeable with the carpet. Might want to remove some of the water first though.
Yeah, that is why I only put in a little water. I have the wood shims, but maybe cedar shingles would be better. If I use shims what about the center of the stand. It will not be supporting any weight. Maybe put some under the center also just enough to support the tank. No adjusters.

Back