OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in with two feet here - have had 2 six-liners and it is the tale of 2 fish - had to re-home the first one from a 40 (small and added late in the stocking plan as it it terrorized everything. Made a dottyback quiver in the corner.. 2nd one is a perfect gentlemen in a diverse 3 wrasse mix, and all it does is cruise and look for flatworms.
Others will tell you you need luck with a 6 line

I have just added a TINY leopard in a 15 and think it is a 12 month likely move, but it is perfect

Have you seen a ‘possum wrasse? I have not kept one but have seen them in shops and others have supported them. Small and stay small
I will have to look into that, are those also the Pink Wrasse? I would love to find one of those but I haven't been able to in a few months.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline will be find in a 20-gallon - especially if there are only a handful of fish. They do like to prowl - so lots of caves, crevices and places to roam will keep your sixline happy. I had one in a 25-gallon with 7-8 other fish and it was perfectly fine. I moved it into a 160-gallon and it did absolutely fine there as well.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jumping in with two feet here - have had 2 six-liners and it is the tale of 2 fish - had to re-home the first one from a 40 (small and added late in the stocking plan as it it terrorized everything. Made a dottyback quiver in the corner.. 2nd one is a perfect gentlemen in a diverse 3 wrasse mix, and all it does is cruise and look for flatworms.
Others will tell you you need luck with a 6 line

I have just added a TINY leopard in a 15 and think it is a 12 month likely move, but it is perfect

Have you seen a ‘possum wrasse? I have not kept one but have seen them in shops and others have supported them. Small and stay small
TSM has one available. Love possum wrasse. Fav is the Tanaka. Old pic from system long ago
5D1B762A-6DDA-4740-93C4-C9EFA0153B79.jpeg

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline will be fine in a 20 gallon for a little while.
Like has already been said, it will likely become pretty aggressive.

Also be aware that they may take out your shrimp.
I have never been able to keep any shrimp with them as the sixline killed them quickly.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline will be fine in a 20 gallon for a little while.
Like has already been said, it will likely become pretty aggressive.

Also be aware that they may take out your shrimp.
I have never been able to keep any shrimp with them as the sixline killed them quickly.
I may end up trying a spotted dragonet, I have a ton of rockwork and they're far from aggressive. Same thing as the Wrasse though they'll need more rock and surface for hunting down the line.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d wait on this fish til u get the 75 up running and packed w pods.
If I went that route it would be a BIOTA and have to also accept pellets or mysis. I've had them in the past but in larger tanks and even then, if they didn't accept pellets/frozen, it was not easy to keep them fed

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice of you to assume I don't take info or advise into consideration. Insulting someone while offering advise is definitely not the best method to get someone to take said advice.

If I didn't want an opinion or to take one into consideration, I wouldn't have asked.
Don't be put off by one bad egg. I have received so much positive feedback and advice here. I unfortunately did a fish-in cycle with yellowtail damsel that is still my favorite fish in the tank. Long story short, I received some incorrect information from what I assumed was a reputable source, and then found this forum and have learned so much and have a happy tank. Didn't even know that 'bottled bac' was a thing, now I am creating my own RO/DI water for my tank. Who would have thought!

Some people just can't be nice :( I really appreciate your reply, and think a lot of people could learn how to reply to someone who is trying to be nasty.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the sixline should be ok. Your clownfish will stand their ground against the sixline. The one I have now is my third sixline and I never had a problem with them terrorizing the tank. But my tank is larger. It is true they are constantly going in and out of the rocks. So if you have a enough rocks so it can play hide and seek in them, it should be fine, especially if you get a juvenile. In his book, "101 Best saltwater fishes", Scott W. Michael recommend a minimum of 20G for a sixline.
I recently read on a post here that many wrasses have a newly discovered neurological disease. I do not know if it affects the sixline too.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line in a IM 20 peninsula (really about 16 gallons bare). It's in with a pair of clownfish. Everybody gets along fine. They've been together for years now, six line is about 2 inchs long now.
I have another in a IM 10 Nuvo(really about 8 gallons). It's tank mate is a blue devil damsel. Again they get along fine. This one is younger and only 1.25 inches long, damsel is bigger.
I feel it's what you keep with a six line that spells success. As long as it's tankmates are just as mean as it is they all get along.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the six line at all costs. They are nightmare fish (I personally believe they’re worse than the Jade Wrasse). I have worked in an LFS and it got to the point where we only got them in if people asked for them. I have kept 4 personally, all 4 were good however there was 80+lbs of LR in the tanks. These fish need a ton of hiding spots to be happy and not claim a tank.

I recommend looking into these genera:
Wetmorella
PseudocheilinOPS

I have kept a species from both genera (Tanakai Possum and the Pink Streak) and I loved both, my preference was the pink streak as they get a bit bigger and so aren’t as likely to become food to any inverts.

This was my Juvenile Pseudocheilinops ataenia
4344A9C1-3444-4971-9CA2-8E10E3326DE8.jpeg
A375AB83-51D7-4353-9F68-0ADE1F1A6D5F.jpeg

And this was my mature Pseudocheilinops ataenia
16F1C433-7231-4F1E-8A20-66E3C2816244.jpeg

You can really see the resemblance between the pink stream wrasse and the six line wrasse. They’re closely related however the pink streak doesn’t become a bully unlike the six line. My pink streak also did a relatively good job at keeping pests out of the tank.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the six line at all costs. They are nightmare fish (I personally believe they’re worse than the Jade Wrasse). I have worked in an LFS and it got to the point where we only got them in if people asked for them. I have kept 4 personally, all 4 were good however there was 80+lbs of LR in the tanks. These fish need a ton of hiding spots to be happy and not claim a tank.

I recommend looking into these genera:
Wetmorella
PseudocheilinOPS

I have kept a species from both genera (Tanakai Possum and the Pink Streak) and I loved both, my preference was the pink streak as they get a bit bigger and so aren’t as likely to become food to any inverts.

This was my Juvenile Pseudocheilinops ataenia
4344A9C1-3444-4971-9CA2-8E10E3326DE8.jpeg
A375AB83-51D7-4353-9F68-0ADE1F1A6D5F.jpeg

And this was my mature Pseudocheilinops ataenia
16F1C433-7231-4F1E-8A20-66E3C2816244.jpeg

You can really see the resemblance between the pink stream wrasse and the six line wrasse. They’re closely related however the pink streak doesn’t become a bully unlike the six line. My pink streak also did a relatively good job at keeping pests out of the tank.
Will have to keep my eye out for the pink streak. I nixed the 6 line possibility due to potential aggression more than anything. Already had to remove a Tailspot Blenny once as he went after my clowns like mad. He was the first in the tank, so that was my bad.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonets are great looking. I have only had one and it
Don't be put off by one bad egg. I have received so much positive feedback and advice here. I unfortunately did a fish-in cycle with yellowtail damsel that is still my favorite fish in the tank. Long story short, I received some incorrect information from what I assumed was a reputable source, and then found this forum and have learned so much and have a happy tank. Didn't even know that 'bottled bac' was a thing, now I am creating my own RO/DI water for my tank. Who would have thought!

Some people just can't be nice :( I really appreciate your reply, and think a lot of people could learn how to reply to someone who is trying to be nasty.
ditto this - was surprised by the response, and you did better than would have

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back