Small Six Line in a 20g AIO?

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got an IM 20g Pro, well established. Pods and little brown flatworms galore. Which is part of why I want to get a Wrasse, they are getting a bit out of control (worms). Not hurting anything yet but I worry they may start getting around some SPS bases, etc. They are not AEFW just the little brown ones, forget their names.

I currently have 2 Wyoming White Clowns (Juveniles), 1 Yellow Watchman Goby (Juvenile) paired with a Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp. The rest of the occupants are CUC really; Two fairly large peppermint shrimp, One female emerald crab, then snails. No other crabs or anything else but pods and worms.

I run a fuge in one of the chambers with opposite timing my main lights w/ Chaeto
A skimmer in the other as well as an additional media tower w/ filter pads (open space for GFO if needed, but not necessary right now)
UV Sterilizer in the primary left return
Media tower with filter pads + carbon on right return (large bag)

The intent is to setup a 75g+30g sump in the winter and transition to that once it's established. So I really only need the wrasse to be alright in this tank for maybe 9-10 months or so.

My water parameters stay solid at around:

SG: 1.025
Ca: 450
dKH: 8.5
NO3: 10
PO4: 0.06

Another reason I want a fourth fish is additional bioload. I am feeding extremely (4x's a day) heavy to keep my PO4 and NO3 up, adding a little more bioload may help keep that up some. Just don't want to overdue it with something that will outgrow it quickly.

Welcome any thoughts, thanks!

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 20g nano cube and it does well.
I do not run a skimmer.
I would turn off your skimmer untill your nutrients come up.
A fuge and a skimmer may be to much for that system, imo.
I have kept the skimmer running but I have it skimming VERY dry. I use it primarily for gas exchange. I don't empty the Gatorade bottle it collects into but maybe once every two months. I had the same thought though lol I do get plenty of surface agitation, suppose it would be alright without it running. Maybe throw it on a timer.....hmm pH dips at night, but I run the skimmer 24/7 now. If I ran it at night only, since the feed line runs outside, that should help keep pH a little more stable too. I may try that.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line is not a good candidate for a 20 gallon. Of course you probably won't listen to advise but it really is the wrong choice of fish. No wrasse is a good match. Six lines are constant foragers. This isn't about the food supply but rather foraging real-estate.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line is not a good candidate for a 20 gallon. Of course you probably won't listen to advise but it really is the wrong choice of fish. No wrasse is a good match. Six lines are constant foragers. This isn't about the food supply but rather foraging real-estate.

Good luck.
Nice of you to assume I don't take info or advise into consideration. Insulting someone while offering advise is definitely not the best method to get someone to take said advice.

If I didn't want an opinion or to take one into consideration, I wouldn't have asked.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Good luck.
Hmmm lil presumptive I think. Mayb the OP will. But the 20 would b fine imo just would advise against it incase it gets territorial w the clowns. They are omnivores and would feed readily and assist w some pests. Wait til the 75 is running and get a Melanarus.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice of you to assume I don't take info or advise into consideration. Insulting someone while offering advise is definitely not the best method to get someone to take said advice.

If I didn't want an opinion or to take one into consideration, I wouldn't have asked.

Well at least you didn't ask about a tang...

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a six line in a 20g AIO for quite some time. It was happy as a clam. Only moved it out because that small a tank - they don't want to cede any of it to other fish once they've decided they own it.

They do appreciate a lot of rock work to move in and out of

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm lil presumptive I think. Mayb he will. But the 20 would b fine imo just would advise against it incase it gets territorial w the clowns. They are omnivores and would feed readily and assist w some pests. Wait til the 75 is running and get a Melanarus.

Clearly there is a misunderstand of the fish. Ignoring my comments, which is great btw, most minimum size requirements will be greater than 20 gallons.

If this was asking about isolation or QT than that is a different story. For forever home it is the wrong size.

1653415479398.png

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm lil presumptive I think. Mayb he will. But the 20 would b fine imo just would advise against it incase it gets territorial w the clowns. They are omnivores and would feed readily and assist w some pests. Wait til the 75 is running and get a Melanarus.
Territory is something I considered as well, not much experience with wrasses but definitely don't want agression if it can be avoided. Obviously smaller tank would raise this if he got too big. The Six line is by no means something I have to have. I have a slight pest problem and that would be an option that would work. I'm open to others options. Fish or invert, etc.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly there is a misunderstand of the fish. Ignoring my comments, which is great btw, most minimum size requirements will be greater than 20 gallons.

If this was asking about isolation or QT than that is a different story. For forever home it is the wrong size.

1653415479398.png
Plan was a temp home for about 9 months or so, plan was to purchase a Juvenile so it hopefully didn't grow too large. Again, not permanent if you read the orig post. But again, dont NEED a wrasse.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean he isn't asking about a six line wrasse?
No, I'm asking about a Six Line Wrasse you are right, a Juvenile. I've seen a number in smaller tanks but never thought they would be alright in it. Hence why I am asking for advise and input.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six line in a 20g AIO for quite some time. It was happy as a clam. Only moved it out because that small a tank - they don't want to cede any of it to other fish once they've decided they own it.

They do appreciate a lot of rock work to move in and out of
Lots of rock to roam and some space to swim, but again if it's going to be an issue before the new tank is ready I'm not going to do it

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of rock to roam and some space to swim, but again if it's going to be an issue before the new tank is ready I'm not going to do it

Are you planning on keeping the AIO up after you get the new tank up? The other issue is that six lines are nigh impossible to catch unless you remove all of your rock work from the tank

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on keeping the AIO up after you get the new tank up? The other issue is that six lines are nigh impossible to catch unless you remove all of your rock work from the tank
Yup, AIO is going to full transfer over once the new tank is ready. The AIO will eventually become a Rock Flower Anemone tank I think. Try something else with that one :)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have one in my 30g fuge, one in my 45 frag system and one in my 20g nano cube. I need another for my 80g.
My 20g nano has 2 bangai cardinals. I feed heavy in all systems with no issues. I think it also has to do with what other fish you have in your system.
My 20g cube.
20220523_181359.jpg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in with two feet here - have had 2 six-liners and it is the tale of 2 fish - had to re-home the first one from a 40 (small and added late in the stocking plan as it it terrorized everything. Made a dottyback quiver in the corner.. 2nd one is a perfect gentlemen in a diverse 3 wrasse mix, and all it does is cruise and look for flatworms.
Others will tell you you need luck with a 6 line

I have just added a TINY leopard in a 15 and think it is a 12 month likely move, but it is perfect

Have you seen a ‘possum wrasse? I have not kept one but have seen them in shops and others have supported them. Small and stay small

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan was a temp home for about 9 months or so, plan was to purchase a Juvenile so it hopefully didn't grow too large. Again, not permanent if you read the orig post. But again, dont NEED a wrasse.
20g is definitely bordering on being too small for a long term home for a six line, but you’re planning on upgrading in thes near future, and as long as you have a lot of rock, it will be fine. I have a six line in a 28 gallon, and it’s perfectly happy (no aggression, active, and fat). A 28g cube is only an inch or two bigger than a 20g, again, it’ll be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back