Small Tangs in Small Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us who have heard tangs are the best for algee control what do ya'll suggest for a 36" tank. I was thinking get small ones and either upgrade to a reefer 725 later or rehome all the fish (my tank is cycling and I want to be sure I love the hobby before a larger investment). But ya'll make some pretty good arguments against that here. Mine is a 65 rather than a 40 but that does almost nothing for relative swim space. I was thinking that lawnmower blenny sounds good. What other suggestions are there?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like 'Help My Tank is Crashing!' - 32 People
'My Blue Tang in a 70 Gallon!' -1 Thousand People
Lol, this isn't actually statistics but very accurate.
Cos most ppl don’t really understand a tank crash, whereas many people have enough common sense to know what is right/wrong.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that's make this the same thing but with equipment and not fish! Thoughts on a Canister filter side by side with a DIY Chaeto reacter?

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us who have heard tangs are the best for algee control what do ya'll suggest for a 36" tank. I was thinking get small ones and either upgrade to a reefer 725 later or rehome all the fish (my tank is cycling and I want to be sure I love the hobby before a larger investment). But ya'll make some pretty good arguments against that here. Mine is a 65 rather than a 40 but that does almost nothing for relative swim space. I was thinking that lawnmower blenny sounds good. What other suggestions are there?
My Yellow Eye Kole Tang literally eats & picks at algae 24/7 while lights are on. It’s a two in one for me, it looks great & keeps the tank looking great too. They’re also fine in smaller tanks, should be perfectly fine in your 65g

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get tiny yellow tang stay away from other tangs you can have 2 yellow tang

what’s the size of your tank

if it’s 30+ you can have clownfish also

another tangs are aggravating specially with each another
I strongly disagree with this advice...

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS kept a yellow tang in a 40 Breeder for 18 Months...
Doesn't make it right... would you keep a puppy in a crate for 18 months? Just because you can or someone did Doesn't mean you should...

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that's make this the same thing but with equipment and not fish! Thoughts on a Canister filter side by side with a DIY Chaeto reacter?

I would recommend against a canister filter, they are detritus magnets and will probably cause you long term headaches. If you have the option to do a sump, I would suggest that.

Traplord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime in my 40 gallon cube I have had no luck keeping even captive bred yellow tangs very risky for the price

U

User1

View Badges
Its like 'Help My Tank is Crashing!' - 32 People
'My Blue Tang in a 70 Gallon!' -1 Thousand People
Lol, this isn't actually statistics but very accurate.

Actually you really don't have an idea. People try and help others here and other forums. Sometimes the answers fall on deaf ears while they continue to get asked different ways until they hear an answer they like. A simple search probably would have answered the question before it was even posted.

The term tang police is actually demeaning to those trying to help and always the go to when people disagree. We are all keeping fish in a much smaller environment than what they are captured in...

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, none of those tangs, or any tang, is fit for a 40 breeder. QT != display. They are not the same thing.

Here, do this for me. Pick up the device that you are reading these forums on. Walk to the nearest closet in your residence. Open the door, turn on the light if you have one, enter, turn around, and close the door. Spend a couple hours in there. When Alexa or your phone's timer says times up, come out here and post about the experience.

Now go to another room be it kitchen, bedroom, walk in closet, den, office, back yard, or anything other than that closet, spend the same 2 hours in there. Once Alexa or whatever timer you have set says time is up come back and post the experience.

You and the tang are now one and I bet you liked the larger environment.
Why do we try to humanize fish or all animals for that matter? They don't understand as we do, think as we do or reason as we do. This seems silly.

Tang police better come arrest me.....I have had a desjardini sailfin and yellow in a 40b for almost two years now. A couple of beauties i might add. Go ahead, shame me, guilt me, and tell me how bad a reefer I am, haha.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are all keeping fish in a much smaller environment than what they are captured in...

Very true, so an extra foot or two isn't going to make up for the 100's of miles they swim in the ocean. It just makes us feel better is all.

Not saying cram a small tank full of large fish, be responsible but lets stop pretending its about the fish. Cause if it was none of us would own most fish from the ocean, we dont have tanks large enough.

U

User1

View Badges
Why do we try to humanize fish or all animals for that matter? They don't understand as we do, think as we do or reason as we do. This seems silly.

Tang police better come arrest me.....I have had a desjardini sailfin and yellow in a 40b for almost two years now. A couple of beauties i might add. Go ahead, shame me, guilt me, and tell me how bad a reefer I am, haha.

Are you confusing treating fish like a pet rather than a commodity? Probably so. Also who here shamed you? Looking back through the thread I only see answers to the question asked. The only shots fired are coming from those who do not like the answer or disagree. As I stated earlier don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

Its the same thing over and over. So and so keeps one in their 65 gallon so I should be OK. They said it will be fine for 2 years then upgrade and move it. Or trade it in. 65 gallons is the water volume loosely calculated empty. Now you add substrate, or don't. Rocks. Power heads, internal or external overflow. Fish, corals, etc. Now that 65 gallons is actually a lot less. But wait - buy it small and rehome it when it grows. Sure. Hey fish, please enter this bag, carton, net, or whatever so I can take you to a LFS for a few pennies on the dollar. That didn't work. Trap. That may or may not work - no idea - now what? Oh - let us try a barbless hook. Ok, no dice either? Ok, remove rocks. Corals. Stressing both hobbyist and fish and you still can't catch it. Ok - drain some water, more water, and now you have it.

Was that worth it? Because now you have to put Humpty Dumpty back together.

Is this going to happen? I have no idea but just throwing it out there so the person who posted the question is informed. I'm not paying for your tank nor buying your fish so I have no stake in it. But please don't get aggressive and call people who disagree with you tang police. Take that nonsense elsewhere.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not arguing with anyone, I do agree with your post and yes, keeping a fish in a box is cruel, that's why I try to replicate their environment as much as I can.

Some creatures don't travel even that far such as a Goby Shrimp Pair (Has to be a pair) and we do have captive bred specimens like orchid dottybacks and clownfish, keeping them is not cruel but any non-captivebred animals is, that is why people who CARE about the environment and the animals make it good for them, when something 'Thrives' it means happy and healthy and the key word is 'HAPPY'. Yes, I have come to realise that some animals have special needs and or need things from the ocean, things like copperbands should stay in the ocean but when everybody says something like keeping an animal in a glass box is cruel, it depends on the animal, what if you have a 500,000 gallon with a single goby? Will they not be happy? Now most of use don't have a monster tank but if thr naimal is thriving, it really isn't as cruel as you think, the ocean is full of predators and prey on our little creatures but yes, keeping a tang in a 1 gallon tank is curel but keeping a tang in a tank with enough vertical swimming space is not. If the tang is not thriving or unhappy, yes it is cruel but keeping its requirements and diet in check is a good home for a fish.

My tank is in no way suitable for an adult tang and that's why I am going to buy fish that are happy in my tank.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you confusing treating fish like a pet rather than a commodity? Probably so. Also who here shamed you? Looking back through the thread I only see answers to the question asked. The only shots fired are coming from those who do not like the answer or disagree. As I stated earlier don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

Its the same thing over and over. So and so keeps one in their 65 gallon so I should be OK. They said it will be fine for 2 years then upgrade and move it. Or trade it in. 65 gallons is the water volume loosely calculated empty. Now you add substrate, or don't. Rocks. Power heads, internal or external overflow. Fish, corals, etc. Now that 65 gallons is actually a lot less. But wait - buy it small and rehome it when it grows. Sure. Hey fish, please enter this bag, carton, net, or whatever so I can take you to a LFS for a few pennies on the dollar. That didn't work. Trap. That may or may not work - no idea - now what? Oh - let us try a barbless hook. Ok, no dice either? Ok, remove rocks. Corals. Stressing both hobbyist and fish and you still can't catch it. Ok - drain some water, more water, and now you have it.

Was that worth it? Because now you have to put Humpty Dumpty back together.

Is this going to happen? I have no idea but just throwing it out there so the person who posted the question is informed. I'm not paying for your tank nor buying your fish so I have no stake in it. But please don't get aggressive and call people who disagree with you tang police. Take that nonsense elsewhere.
Forgive me if this felt aggressive, that was not my intent. I think it is silly we humanize animals. It feels like you're confusing a human with an animal. Just because they are pets doesnt mean they are humans. There is a difference.

Tang police was not directed at you, just a general statement towards those who answer a hard and fast no without any explanation of why not, possible issues down the road type stuff. No need to take offense. I didnt even read the whole thread, and correct, no one shamed me but they will to themselves if not in writing.

Your answer to tangs and tank size is an opinion just like mine and both are valid.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my experience. I have a 200 gallon reef tank. I have a purple tang and I had a Dejardini Sailfiin tang. Sooooo.....my Dejardini grew so fast I was actually surprised at how fast, and after about a year in this tank he was HUGE (he was already an adult when I bought him)....I noticed more aggression, I also noticed he was having trouble turning around, and just didn't look as happy as he used too....this is a six foot tank. I spent 3 hours, plenty of stress on both me and my fish to catch the guy to get him out. I made sure he went to a good home with a 500 gallon tank. I was sad because I got attached to him, he ate out of my hand. So that is my story. I will never buy a fish with the intention of rehoming him ever again. Too much stress, you get attached, and a royal PITA!

I don't tell people what to do with their tank and money, but just offering my personal experience. I have been in this hobby many years, so I am not a newbie. I still did it thinking i would have more years with him. Lesson learned that's for sure!

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an email and am always entertained by how crazy the "tang police" r when someone says they want a tang in a smaller tank. Its cute ;)

"It's cute"
"Simmer down tang police"

These kind of comments do the hobby no service. Some people care about the animals well being. Belittling them for doing so is pretty crass. This person has an interest in a type of fish, they came here asking for information. People are just trying to give that information.

At the end of the day, people will do what people want. Just point them in the right direction and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Scott71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, none of those tangs, or any tang, is fit for a 40 breeder. QT != display. They are not the same thing.

Here, do this for me. Pick up the device that you are reading these forums on. Walk to the nearest closet in your residence. Open the door, turn on the light if you have one, enter, turn around, and close the door. Spend a couple hours in there. When Alexa or your phone's timer says times up, come out here and post about the experience.

Now go to another room be it kitchen, bedroom, walk in closet, den, office, back yard, or anything other than that closet, spend the same 2 hours in there. Once Alexa or whatever timer you have set says time is up come back and post the experience.

You and the tang are now one and I bet you liked the larger environment.

Rediculus analogy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back