Small Tangs in Small Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late to the party but I will give my experience on this. People get hung up on gallons when in my opinion the foot print is more important. Granted, they go hand in hand but you can have a 65 gallon 3’ tank or a 55 gallon 4’ tank and I would find the 55 gallon more suitable for a tang. However, I kept a small powder brown in my 65 gallon 3’ for almost 2 years before I moved him up. He was healthy. If you keep a tang in a small tank (3’) you’ll have to be more conscientious about its environment. Better aquascape for hiding. Throw a few chromis in as a mid tank swimmers to help the fish feel safe. Also, I ran a UV and the probability of illness is greater. However, once established the fish did fine. When you move the fish to a larger tank say 6 foot you will see a change in its personality. It will be more social. Also, less aggression issues which is a big issue in a 3’ tank. However, it can we done.

Scott71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect, I'm not sure what this comment accomplishes. Those "Tang Police" are simply trying to convey factual information about a species and the husbandry of that animal. Sure, the example is animated and designed to be illuminating, but I don't know that it warrants telling someone to "simmer down".

I understand the truth is inconvenient. No one can take your tangs away from you- you don't even have to listen to the advice, but that doesn't make what they are saying any less valid.

A larger tank is always better for sure. Please show me the scientific data that shows 3 feet is absolutely wrong, but 4 feet is perfectly fine......

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you really don't have an idea. People try and help others here and other forums. Sometimes the answers fall on deaf ears while they continue to get asked different ways until they hear an answer they like. A simple search probably would have answered the question before it was even posted.

The term tang police is actually demeaning to those trying to help and always the go to when people disagree. We are all keeping fish in a much smaller environment than what they are captured in...
I never really understand how someone can be such a strong advocate of one genome of fish yet disregard the whole ideology that we are keeping fish for none other than our own selfish desire. Regardless of a tang or a clownfish. We are in a hobby with virtually 100% fail rate. 99% of the people on this site have probably never seen a 10 year tank without catastrophic livestock failure. So be an advocate for the fish you wish to help meet it’s demise...and those sir are facts. If he wants to keep a fish give him the risks not scorn him.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS kept a yellow tang in a 40 Breeder for 18 Months...
I’ve had a Yellow Tang in my Reefer 170 for a year. Hasn’t grown that much - is healthy, has suitable tank mates, is well kept and is brightly coloured. Bought him small and know I’ll have to move him on at some point. Can’t see the problem.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if this felt aggressive, that was not my intent. I think it is silly we humanize animals. It feels like you're confusing a human with an animal. Just because they are pets doesnt mean they are humans. There is a difference.

Tang police was not directed at you, just a general statement towards those who answer a hard and fast no without any explanation of why not, possible issues down the road type stuff. No need to take offense. I didnt even read the whole thread, and correct, no one shamed me but they will to themselves if not in writing.

Your answer to tangs and tank size is an opinion just like mine and both are valid.
Okay, I am mad now, because we are humans that RUIN the planet (Some of us don't but lots do.) and kill animals for entertainment? Fish and Inverts are MORE important than ANY human and you can argue but look what we have done. Global Warming, hurting and beating animals, if anything, they should be keeping US in glass boxes. A Bloody Urchin does more in the Ecosystem than MOST humans, if we die from covid-19, great, global warming will most likely decrease and lots of animals will be saved.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's also not everyone, and people who keep fish in glass boxes and actually does it to the best of their ability, great, you should be proud of yourself, people who are neutral in this or work with animals, awesome.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry people, I just get really mad when someone says something like that,

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These can I have a tang in X tank always seem to go sideways.

At the end of the day there are two schools of thought and in some ways neither is wrong.

There are recommended gallons/ feet of tank for each species of fish these can often differ depending on where you look.

I also believe there are pieces missing when people post their hard fast opinions. Size of fish, filtration, and future upgrade plans.

Will a 1 inch baby tang suffer in a 60 gallon tank? Most likely not. will a 6 inch adult tank suffer in a 60 gallon tank? It will most likely not be in the best environment for long term success.

My opinion is this. I know I will be upgrading my tank within the next year. I wanted to start smaller when returning to the hobby. so with this knowledge I was comfortable buying fish that would ultimately need to have a bigger footprint tank than what I currently own. I also have the option should I be unable to upgrade to remove the fish from my tank and place them in a good friends tank with a foot print that is more than enough to house them all (500 gallon).

As with anything we should all research our potential purchases and then make a decision based on all the facts and not just opinions or our own desires.

marcos4780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 inch powder blue tang in my 40 breeder. He is doing well and seems happy. I also have a 180 gallon in the garage to set up after I move into my next home. I think he is happy due to the aqua scape. I made 3 arch caves and 2 shelves. While leaving mostly open swimming space in the front and room in the back.

Not the end habitat for this guy, but he is content for now.

284D8781-79E1-42EB-81F4-B095D15C4812.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a tang is still fitting in a 3' tank after a year it is NOT healthy. A healthy tang grows pretty quickly. So if it still fits something has stunted its growth, whether that is water quality or cramped conditions, whatever, something is not right.

There are plenty of fish that do exceedingly well in captivity. There are a number of species that spend their lives in a very small area, as small as many of our tanks.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried several times getting a small juvenile tang in my 46gl tank. My thinking was when the tang grew to large for the tank I'd trade him in. None of the tangs survived beyond a month. There's no way around the fact that they need larger tanks to survive.

marcos4780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s probably for the best OP, I’m sorry everyone has been so rude on here.

@eatbreakfast if you’re referring to me. He has NOT been in the tank for a year and will likely only be in this tank for 4 more months.

Some fish also naturally slow down on their growth rate thanks genetic variance.

I definitely agree that a 3’ tank isn’t the best tank for any tang, but a juvenile can be healthy in such a space.

As a biologist and ichthyologist I can assure you that no tang in house hold captivity (few exceptions with mega tanks) will live to their full potential. That’s the hard fact. However their lives are pretty sweet now; endless food, no predation, less chance of illness, hardly any battles over territory. Very few fish survive to maturity in the wild and I think it would be interesting to see the statistics on survivability to adulthood for captive and wild tangs.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, can't have everything, atleast we still have awesome fish such as gobies, shrimp etc.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also new to SW and reefing and one of the main reason i wanted a SW reef is because of tangs. I'm sure if a lot of the experienced hobbyists got a £1 sorry $1 every time they heard that statement then they would be very rich people, well maybe have numerous tanks with a school of Gem tangs to enjoy haha.

The below is just my experience and thoughts so please nobody see this as criticism.

Before purchasing my tank i did a lot of research on fish, corals, systems, illnesses, parameters and tank size to name a few. It came obvious to me that if i wanted happy healthy tangs that i should hold off until i could afford a tank suitable for their needs. Yes i could have bought a smaller tank sooner but I waited and bought a 7x2x2 D-D reef 190/200 gallon tank.

I kept reminding myself when i nearly pulled the trigger on a smaller system to consider that tangs are not just things, they're fish and pets that deserve the best environment we can give them. I understand as humans we all want the best looking tanks with the nicest fish and often can get a little carried away and sometimes just need to step back and take a second thought.

These types of threads can get pretty emotive between the community and I hate the term 'tang police' because often these are experienced reefers who have learnt the hard way or have sacrificed getting tangs because they felt their system isn't large enough. Then you have the ones who have bought small tangs saying that they will be upgrading in the near future which either doesn't happen or find its a nightmare trying to catch it. This all causes further stress not just on the tang but all the other tanks inhabitants - sometimes leading to an ich or velvet outbreak if you have it in the water column.

I often read forum threads or comments on Facebook saying my tang has ich, my tang's not healthy, my tang is aggressive and bullying existing or new fish. Often after reading their comments its because they have a big tang in a small system or an overcrowded tank. Personally i wouldn't add tangs until the very end (minus a mandarin maybe) due to their temperaments and that they can stress or bully new fish. I am 4.5 months into my reef and still no closer to getting tangs and then i'm only looking at 3 (possibly a purple, kole and naso). I am avoiding the more temperamental ich magnets like the regal and powders and only getting a purple over a yellow because i already have enough yellow fish haha.

In conclusion, i doff my cap that you came on a forum and asked the question.

Last edited:

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a different perspective I'd argue against getting a tang in such a small volume for the simple fact that you will probably be looking for the smallest one you can find. When tangs are really small they aren't that easy to keep as their metabolism is so much faster than when they are adult. This means they are harder to keep alive basically and you have less grazing opportunities in a small tank, so multiples feeding needs to be done which messes with your water quality.

From my personal opinion I just think you get so much more out of tangs if you have the space. In smaller tanks they can slowly swim through their environment but with more space they really utilise it and appear more energetic and active. So I simply wouldn't recommend them because there are far more entertaining and suitable fish for small spaces.

These threads are always split and it generally comes down to those who like tanks but don't have the space to fit a large tank, saying yes, those who really love tangs but think they are worthy or more space, saying no.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast if you’re referring to me. He has NOT been in the tank for a year and will likely only be in this tank for 4 more months
It was directed at post #73
@eatbreakfast Some fish also naturally slow down on their growth rate thanks genetic variance.
There is a degree of genetic variance, but not enough to notice drastic differences in growth rates. Any of the specimens that some users are saying that they have kept in small tanks for an extended period of time would grow faster in an appropriate sized tank, ergo their growth was stunted. Stunted growth is not healthy.
I definitely agree that a 3’ tank isn’t the best tank for any tang, but a juvenile can be healthy in such a space.
For a very limited time only.
As a biologist and ichthyologist I can assure you that no tang in house hold captivity (few exceptions with mega tanks) will live to their full potential. That’s the hard fact. However their lives are pretty sweet now; endless food, no predation, less chance of illness, hardly any battles over territory. Very few fish survive to maturity in the wild and I think it would be interesting to see the statistics on survivability to adulthood for captive and wild tangs.
Exactly! Something is limiting their growth. So if it's limited in a 6' tank, how much more so for a 3' tank, with more polluted water?

totalbiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really understand how someone can be such a strong advocate of one genome of fish yet disregard the whole ideology that we are keeping fish for none other than our own selfish desire. Regardless of a tang or a clownfish. We are in a hobby with virtually 100% fail rate. 99% of the people on this site have probably never seen a 10 year tank without catastrophic livestock failure. So be an advocate for the fish you wish to help meet it’s demise...and those sir are facts. If he wants to keep a fish give him the risks not scorn him.

Hi, you are really a voice of reason here. It's amazing that Tangs seem to create havoc in this forum. I have a friend who has never even kept a goldfish. He saw a saltwater tank and, since he knew I did it, he asked me about it. I told him it would be better that he start small with freshwater. Then I made the mistake of telling him to read this forum. He called me later and asked "what the heck is a Tang?", and then he said "I didn't know you fish people are so hostile!". Kind of makes you think when a person with no knowledge of the subject, and no particular agenda, makes that observation. I also don't know how there can be said with such certainty that Tangs must be kept in a certain size tank, or why Tangs are such an issue. BTW, my friend has not mentioned getting an aquarium again! I don't know why arguring about Tangs generates such rage. I think you are absolutely right. Keeping any fish could be said to be animal cruelty. Maybe those "crazy" people who are saying all keeping of aquatic animals should be outlawed are right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back