Small UPS for Apex recommendation?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for a recommendation for a small UPS that works well with the Apex. I don’t want an expensive 1500 va monster. Just something small that fits easily under my stand and can run my gyres for 1-2 hours and have the added benefit of cleaning up the power a bit to keep my apex safe. I’ve heard the apex can be picky about which UPS you use, so looking to see if anyone has experience with smaller ones. Most people seem to be using the larger UPS’s.

The scenario is I currently have my Gyre xf330s, which are plugged into an Icecap battery backup, plugged into the Apex. What’s annoying is since the apex can’t control the Gyres directly, when I have them turn off when I run a feed mode, they of course kick to battery power. I want them to turn off completely on feed modes. So my plan is to remove them from the icecap battery backup, and hook the apex to a UPS then in the event of power outages have the apex turn off everything except for the gyres. So I just need a UPS that could keep the Gyres running for 1-2 hours at the most in case I’m not at home. Then when I get home I can either swap the gyres to my Icecap battery or get my generator fired up. I don’t run them full speed, they average about 16 watts power draw according to the apex.

This is one I was considering

APC UPS, 600VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, BE600M1 Backup Battery with USB Charger Port, Uninterruptible Power Supply

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS did a short series on battery backups, it may be worth a watch in order to find out which unit tested best. I would leave the gyres hooked up to the battery backup, they'll last longer until you figure out a solution. Also, keeping flow in a tank full of coral and fish during a power outage is so important and will be the difference between life or death. It's a pain, but just use feed mode on the gyre controller, which shouldn't kick in the battery backup. It's what I did for the longest time, until I bought the Hydros Wave Engine. Now feed mode is controlled through my apex and my gyres and vortechs play nice together.
Good luck!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My apex was purchased as the BRS special edition so I already had the AC adapter. Just got the EB832 yesterday.

Seems difficult to find UPS in the 450-600va ranges that don’t have a bunch of really bad reviews on Amazon.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I really wish that Neptune systems offered a battery backup. I find that a battery backup is far more important than a trident. It's kind of a missed opportunity if you ask me. Definitely follow @SuncrestReef advice here.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I don’t think any of the small ones will work given the load they would see when not running on battery. I think I’m going to get this one.

APC UPS BR1000MS, 1000VA Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, AVR, (2) USB Charger Ports, Back-UPS Pro Uninterruptible Power Supply

Should also help condition the line during the random little fluctuations we get during the frequent thunderstorms in central Florida.

Edit: weird it shows $129 on that pic above but when you visit amazon it’s $144.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it'll do the job you're asking of it. I have a similar one hooked up for a temp solution for now. Had one laying around and installed it to help mostly with power surges and quick brown puts we were experiencing. Panicked one night during some storms where power was flickering about every ten minutes and wreaking havoc with the tank. Figured it was bound to fry a pump or something, thought this was better than nothing at the time. Would really like a whole home generator one day. Joys of living in the tornado capital of the world I guess.
Price changes on Amazon or Walmart.com are annoying. Have to watch some of those 3rd party sellers on those sites. Some assume it all coming from Amazon or Walmart, but not always the case. They got me good a couple of years ago buying a tablet for my wife. Thought I was getting it at one price, then the bait and switch. Was a last minute xmas gift, and tablet was sold out at most locations. Frustrating to say the least.

Back