Smallest auto fish feeder available?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried googling "Smallest auto fish feeder" to see what my options are and couldn't really find any threads or articles dedicated to reviewing and comparing the smallest available auto fish feeders for a small pico tank. I'd probably go with an Eheim Everyday Fish Feeder but if anyone knows any other fish feeders it would be great to have a thread to refer to on R2R. I'd choose the Eheim because it's adjustable and the smallest quality option I can find, the container is pretty big, I don't really like the look of it but that's fine I guess. I could just tune it to drop the amount of food I want it too and once that's done it'll hold way more food than an option that has a nice design, is about half the size and probably doesn't have the same range of functionality. I just know it'll work, and do what I want it too. Although I'd rather something else.

Eheim Everyday Fish Feeder: Fishmate F14:
1667890733708.png
1667890891440.png

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say pico, there aren't any fish are there?

What exactly needs to be fed, and more to the point with what kind of food?

And what do you actually want, smallest accurate dose or smallest look

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say pico, there aren't any fish are there?

What exactly needs to be fed, and more to the point with what kind of food?

And what do you actually want, smallest accurate dose or smallest look
I have a 4.5G Shrimp tank that I want to auto-feed Hikari shrimp pellets, I figure if I got the Eheim, I would definitely be modifying it to drop literally like 4 to 5 pellets once a day so accuracy isn't absolutely necessary because I intended to have to do some modification to reduce the amount of food dropped.

Although considering that, the smallest would be what I'm after.
If I can close the opening and drill the food container, or cover the opening with a fine piece of plastic, cut off an old orange juice bottle and some reef glue, tuning it down to 4-5 pellets, I would still be happy.

Kinda why I've gone with this Eheim decision because I can always mod it to drop less, and it'll hold literally like a years worth of pellets at the rate it'll be dropping them.

The cons are is it's literally almost like 1/8th the size of the aquarium, isn't nice to look at, at all and I would have to mount it on a light I have made way high above the surface. The fish mate is a really bad idea the more I think about it too but it would work.
image.jpg
image.jpg

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't just assume that you can get it to consistently drop 4 or 5 pellets without choking, you'd probably have to test that out first. And make sure your modification can't fall off. On of the ones based on an auger rather than a rotating barrel would probably be more appropriate.

And I definitely wouldn't load it up with a years worth of food, that's a nuked tank waiting to happen.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back