Smartest fish?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered this as it seems some species appear smarter than others.... just curious about others experiences and observations .... (I did a search and found a previous thread on lion fish )

Last edited:

SyracuseMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure there is a 'smart' fish. I think that people think some are smarter than others because: 1) some are more responsive to us than others, begging for food, etc., 2) some appear to be doing 'complicated' things like building burrows, rearranging things to their liking, etc.; and 3) some seem to do things which appear 'logical' to us and we attribute this to intelligence rather than instinct. Having said that, fish with 'character' like blennies, clowns, jawfish, make a tank more interesting to me. Not sure they're smarter but, they're more interesting to watch their behavior.

Matt

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not so much smarter but quicker
Many will have personalities such as Puffers rather than smarts

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered this as it seems some species appear smarter than others.... just curious about others experiences and observations .... (I did a search and found a previous thread on lion fish )
I’ve wondered the same . I have freshwater and saltwater setups on and off growing up and I have noticed and experienced the cichlid species are more advanced than other freshwater fish I Would assume like every animal species that some sub species are smarter than others.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Obviously fish are individuals but for me it's my Melanurus Wrasse. By far the most impressive thing I have seen from any fish was when mine got stung by my foxface and couldn't close it's mouth for a few weeks. While many fish would struggle to feed and possibly starve to death, it figured out how to swim around with it's mouth wide open and basically filter feed on the smaller bits until it's jaw could heal. Also "Dances for it's dinner," Runs off with Seaweed and leads fish on a chase around the tank, etc.

This is the guy in question:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hairy blenny. She was a terrible swimmer. But she got more than her share of food by figuring out the system. She recognized me..... she did not react to my wife who was did not feed fish. She also knew the fish feeding routine. I placed the food in saltwater in a plastic measuring cup and would place the cup slightly into the tank and dribble out food. She would swim right in.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much smarter but quicker
Many will have personalities such as Puffers rather than smarts
Yeah like a fire fish seems more cookie cutter and instinctive in behavior than say a puffer or wrasse which appear to behave more individualistic... not sure if that relates to intelligences per se but as a human I can relate more ...

and yeah a cichlid seems more personable than a killifish or neon tetra et et

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at Pet smart last week looking for some more Haps for my Malawi cichlid tank setup I started talking to the employee there and he said last week that this one particular cichlid was jumping from tank to tank fighting and killing some of the smaller cichlids . They don’t have that fish now . it was sold . The young employee didn’t know what kind of cichlid he was but said that was the craziest thing to see. Pretty smart.
I have a melanurus wrasse in my tank and that is one smart fish .

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may come down to the difference between individual swimmers like Wrasse and Schooling like Tangs.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an animal to be considered a fish it needs to have gills and fins. That would exclude dolphins and octopuses even though I’d consider them to be the smartest animals in the ocean. Sharks are fish though and they are pretty intelligent.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, smartness of animals are measured by brain weight percentage to body.

For me, I consider finicky eaters to be dump fish. Basically they failed to learn about new foods. We always used term "training" for food. So they're the ones that failed the training the most. It kinda much our definition of stupid ... Not saying it's a fair standard to judge them, but that's the closet analog I can think of.

So I consider my red dragonet to be pretty smart, as it learn to eat frozen mysis without me training it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve wondered the same . I have freshwater and saltwater setups on and off growing up and I have noticed and experienced the cichlid species are more advanced than other freshwater fish I Would assume like every animal species that some sub species are smarter than others.
I have to agree with this. I had an Oscar way back. He always came up to me when I was by the tank. Probably wanted food. But he wouldn’t do it with anyone else. So he could recognize me. He also would furiously swim at my dog when it was near the tank. Smartest fish I’ve ever had. I find saltwater fish to have their own instincts built in and they don’t seem to be too individually different. Maybe others have had special experiences with their saltwater fish. But a six line behaves like a six line. A yellow tang behaves like a yellow tang and so forth.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they are the smartest fish, but puffers seem to have the best personality. They seem to interact with their owner, and occasionally spit water at them. Heck yeah, I'm going with puffers as the smartest fish. lol

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an animal to be considered a fish it needs to have gills and fins. That would exclude dolphins and octopuses even though I’d consider them to be the smartest animals in the ocean. Sharks are fish though and they are pretty intelligent.

You forgot killer whales (orcas). The most intelligent animal in the ocean. If reincarnation were true, and I had to be a creature of the sea, it would be an orca. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back