Smat farm g5 led help?

dcreasy9880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Smat farm g5 led light today. I have seen amazing reviews and wanting to use it as an upgrade from my current marine ic led light. The tank I’m putting the light on is a 36 gallon bow front 30x15.5x22. I’m curious if anyone else has used these lights and If they have found a good setting to adjust the lights to thanks! I’m doing a mixed reef tank with mostly easy beginner softie and lps corals and I have a rainbow bubble tip anemone, may get a few sps down the road if I find this new light is really good.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention

OP
OP
D

dcreasy9880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received the light and it’s on my tank and a guy on fb told me he had 2 over his 40 gallon breeder mixed reef and tank and was running channels A:0% B:100% C100% D:100% E0% F0% and I copied that same setting and my corals look good granted it’s only been on the tank 2 full days and I have the light adjusted to its tallest setting over the tank it gives a very blue look

OP
OP
D

dcreasy9880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C651CD51-F76D-40B0-8AE4-EF2824967B71.jpeg

TheNemDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used them I had 4 over a 40 gallon breeder for spread so I had to have the intensity lower on all channels. When I was just using one my settings were 10,90,90,90,5,5. Overall worked well and really colored up my corals.

OP
OP
D

dcreasy9880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always told to try and never use any white green or red lights cause they will cause algae growth but I just made a new thread asking about diatom algae cause I’ve had the light running for a week and I’m having a huge diatom algae bloom on my glass and sand running the lights on all blue and purple on 100% and turned them down to 75% Saturday and today I turned them down ton65% cause early morning when the lights off the bloom don’t look as bad but in the evening after the lights been on a few hours it’s really bad looking

TheNemDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always told to try and never use any white green or red lights cause they will cause algae growth but I just made a new thread asking about diatom algae cause I’ve had the light running for a week and I’m having a huge diatom algae bloom on my glass and sand running the lights on all blue and purple on 100% and turned them down to 75% Saturday and today I turned them down ton65% cause early morning when the lights off the bloom don’t look as bad but in the evening after the lights been on a few hours it’s really bad looking

Any light will cause algae growth if conditions are right with excessive nutrients. Having those channels set to a lower percentage won't do that if nutrients are in check and your have a good balance in the aquarium. Corals don't use just a single spectrum of light.

I would then it way down and start with 50% for the blue channels then slowly increase them over a span of a month. They use powerful LEDs in that unit and you can definitely cook corals.

How long has the tank been setup for again?

OP
OP
D

dcreasy9880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the lights down to 45% and ima leave them at that for awhile, the tank has been set up for right at 7 months I feel I shoulda passed my ugly stage by now though most the rock is almsot a year old I had it in a previous 20 gallon saltwater tank for about 6 months, in about a month I’m breaking thsi tank down and moving everything into a 40 breeder simply because the bowfront with using hob equipment is a pain to maintain flow and get it dialed in jsut right because it bounces off the curved glass and goes all through the tank randomly if that makes since

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the lights down to 45% and ima leave them at that for awhile, the tank has been set up for right at 7 months I feel I shoulda passed my ugly stage by now though most the rock is almsot a year old I had it in a previous 20 gallon saltwater tank for about 6 months, in about a month I’m breaking thsi tank down and moving everything into a 40 breeder simply because the bowfront with using hob equipment is a pain to maintain flow and get it dialed in jsut right because it bounces off the curved glass and goes all through the tank randomly if that makes since
I've got them over to nano tanks and like them I do run the white and ramp them up during the day and down in evening while blues stay the same all day and any change can have effects on the tank and you just put a lot more power over ur tank from previous current just keep doing what u can to give beneficial bacteria a chance to take territory back over. And for the random flow thing that's a good thing for corals

Athamm91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?? Running same light over a 30 that's been going for about 2 years.. completely established. Fragged many corals from it. But just recently had a light go out, so I bought the smat farm... and bam! Diatoms all over my sand and rock. Curious as to what your settings are?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back