Smat farms led from Amazon

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Black Box light, I think the SmartFarm is one of the best options available. That said, The one I use on my 32g BioCube just does the job. It lights the tank and keeps corals alive.

I am strongly considering upgrading to a Kessil. I have 2 Kessil A360x Tuna Blues over my 55g and could not be happier with them. For another $500 I could mount a 3rd over my 32 and run them with the same setup I have on my 55... all it would take is the cord to connect the 3rd light to the others.

I say this because in my own experience, the Smart Farms do not promote the growth levels that the Kessils do. Since I installed the Kessils in December, my 55 has exploded in growth. The 32 seems to stay the same. it maintains, but nothing to the level that the 55 does.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth has a lot more to do than just light. Parameters and stability are key. But when it comes to the light part, the spectrum and par matters a lot. You might not get growth if using the wrong settings or giving inadequate par.... I am running a full sps tank with over 70 different acropora species and my growth is amazing. I have run other lights before and the only light that has given me more growth has been halides but thats a diff story

Asearles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have the lights running? and I would also state or add, if there are sps, generally speaking, they should be at the top of the aquarium closer to the light. This is my current set-up with the same light and using Tropic Marin AFR:

ALK: 8.07
CA: 442
MG: 1256
TEMP: 78.2
PH: 8.19
SALT: 34.1
Dosing: 1ml of Tropic Marin NP Bacto-Plus daily at 11:30 am (Dosing Program, via Doser)
Dosing: 11.3ml of Tropic Marin All for Reef Daily (Dosing Program via Doser)

A: 15
B: 90
C: 90
D: 65
E: 10
F : 30

Light Schedule
10 am Apex Turns ON Light Schedule
10:00-11 am Moonlight Phase
11-12:30 Ramp to Day Light Setting
12:30-7 pm Maximum;
7-8 pm Coral Feeding via Doser (1ml Brightwell Coral Amino) and Light Ramp Down Begins
8 pm-11:30pm Moonlight
11:30 Apex Turns OFF Light Completely
What size tank is that ? If you don't mind me asking

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess you would need two of these for a 40 breeder? What about the mount, Ive seen people getting a different mount. Will the mount that comes with these not fit on a rimmed tank?

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess you would need two of these for a 40 breeder? What about the mount, Ive seen people getting a different mount. Will the mount that comes with these not fit on a rimmed tank?
I am not sure what the size of your 40 breeder is, but here is an attached guide for the Smatfarm on how much lights would be ideal...

Attachments

• guide.jpg
    guide.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 128

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess you would need two of these for a 40 breeder? What about the mount, Ive seen people getting a different mount. Will the mount that comes with these not fit on a rimmed tank

Yes, you would need (2) for full coverage on a 36" tank.

I have (2) and a Aliexpress LED bar over my 40b. Will eventually add a 2nd LED bar too.

I could not get the mounts to work with my rimmed 40b. I ended up mounting the arms to the wall behind my tank as a temporary fix. I'm trying to figure out a light fixture using 8020, but haven't finalized anything yet.

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually when the stock on Amazon runs out, there's supposed to be a new arm design shipped. According to smat farms. I posted earlier with a vague timeline from what they told me.

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you would need (2) for full coverage on a 36" tank.

I have (2) and a Aliexpress LED bar over my 40b. Will eventually add a 2nd LED bar too.

I could not get the mounts to work with my rimmed 40b. I ended up mounting the arms to the wall behind my tank as a temporary fix. I'm trying to figure out a light fixture using 8020, but haven't finalized anything yet.
Wall mounting for me is a no go, I would need something that mounts on the tank

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have my (basic) 8020 frame put together. I have to run to the store and get a few more fasteners. I didn't buy enough. I didn't know exactly what I was doing, so just ordered a few pcs of the 30 series rail a few different length and some basic fittings. didn't get enough.

The frame will fit my (2) smat farm lights and (1) aliexpress LED bar, for now. will add a second bar when I get around to it.

Did not get enough fasteners to attach the led bar hinges. I forgot about those. hopefully I can find what I need locally. if not its back on hold until I order more fasteners.

20220408_164808.jpg

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1648523024014.png

Hey all, I've been in touch with Smat farms some more. They've recently been working on a new mount for these lights! In a little over a month they'll be released on Amazon officially, after the previous stock with the older arms is depleted from what I understand.

They've opted for a kessil look this time, and as an owner of the original arm, this looks a lot better!
Will they work on rimmed tanks? I have a 40 breeder. I think it’s aqueon.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like this either. I have 3 lights and for a while I had the center in it's own group so that I could run it at 0 for sunset. I got tired of it and now they all run at 1.

Not sure if this was addressed but don’t use blue channel as moonlight. Use the UV or Cyan or whatever it is. It is much much dimmer.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More parts (and fasteners) finally showed up, so was able to make a little more progress on the light canopy. Now I just need to find a few hours to pull the old lights down, take down the old brackets, install the new brackets to support this canopy, install the 2 smat farm lights and the led bar on the new canopy and then hang it on the bracket. hoping to find some time this weekend to get it done

20220412_172044.jpg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple things.

first, my fan stopped working on one of my Smatfarm LEDS. IT Was getting super hot. Contacted Amazon who put me in touch with Smatfarm. They sent me a replacement right away so A plus on customer service.

the light the sent is the new light so it’s not communicating with the other one, but that’s ok, just set two timers. The screen and interface seems much better in the newer lights.

finally, I will post next photos of how I mounted these to my canopy since I had to remove one and reinstall.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I installed the lights to my canopy.

step 1) use the extension bar and drill two holes in the end of the bar. Drilled easy with a cordless hand drill.

A5924A99-EDD0-4A79-95CC-3CAD5DFD1556.jpeg

Step 2)

Attach the bar to the light using the thumb screws

53D6C469-CA08-46BD-B3BF-CFF479CB19C1.jpeg

Step 3) since the thumb screws act as spacers between the canopy lid and the bar we need to take up the gap between the bar and the lid where we drilled the holes. I used a couple over sized nuts but washers or plastic spacers would work too. The good thing about the thumb screws being “in the way” is it keeps an air gap over the light for cooling.
DB006255-62A1-47C8-AB51-228B5456C025.jpeg

Step 4) use wood screws to attach the bar to the canopy while using the spacers between the bar and the wood. Careful not to drill through your top
36013CB4-5F38-49F5-BA70-222C5E4FDE9B.jpeg

That’s it. Hope it works for you.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I installed the lights to my canopy.

step 1) use the extension bar and drill two holes in the end of the bar. Drilled easy with a cordless hand drill.

A5924A99-EDD0-4A79-95CC-3CAD5DFD1556.jpeg

Step 2)

Attach the bar to the light using the thumb screws

53D6C469-CA08-46BD-B3BF-CFF479CB19C1.jpeg

Step 3) since the thumb screws act as spacers between the canopy lid and the bar we need to take up the gap between the bar and the lid where we drilled the holes. I used a couple over sized nuts but washers or plastic spacers would work too. The good thing about the thumb screws being “in the way” is it keeps an air gap over the light for cooling.
DB006255-62A1-47C8-AB51-228B5456C025.jpeg

Step 4) use wood screws to attach the bar to the canopy while using the spacers between the bar and the wood. Careful not to drill through your top
36013CB4-5F38-49F5-BA70-222C5E4FDE9B.jpeg

That’s it. Hope it works for you.
I don't think that's nearly enough space for the fan to vent and that's going to probably kill another one. That's like putting a deck just inches above a central air unit, it's going to overheat.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's nearly enough space for the fan to vent and that's going to probably kill another one. That's like putting a deck just inches above a central air unit, it's going to overheat.
They’ve been running cool. Check the temp in the menu and it’s ok. Issue with the last one was the temp sensor failed which tells the fan to run. There was issues with it from the start, power cord failed and the display was all tweaked upon arrival. Seems like it was not put together right. Wh

a valid point and slight concern I have had. The temperature can be monitored in the system section of the light, and I haven’t seen temps of concern yet. The issue with last one was a failed temp sensor that would read -37 degrees. So the failure of that sensor kept the fan from turning on since the fan is driven by temp.

I will keep my eye on it, and probably drill a few 1” holes in the side and top of the canopy to aid in air movement.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back