Smat farms led from Amazon

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my light in. I haven’t narrowed down the settings yet but here it is mounted on a 32 gallon BioCube (fits over the rim no problem). That said, I ran into the same issue as others with the tank mount part of the bracket with the screws being almost too small. I used a piece of thick plastic mesh as I didn’t have washers to secure it better.

Also, the remote is junk. It worked 50/50 for me but the controls on the light are easy enough to work.

Oh the shimmer - With the water surface agitation, absolutely amazing shimmer in my opinion, very close to my halides

Regarding the fans, not sure about others, but mine has a setting on it where I can change the temperature that the fan comes on at? It’s set at 35 degrees Celsius (stock setting) but it can go up or down. It’s under “temperature” setting.

No par readings as of right now (don’t have a par meter, don’t know anyone (including local clubs) that have one, and don’t have the funding to risk a BRS “rental”

Moonlight setting - 1% on Channel 3 is way to bright and 1% on Channel 4 is way to purple. If you want moon lights, gotta figure something out separately.

This is lights at 40% everything except green at 30%:
CCEFAC29-F9B8-4E17-A01A-8CC16B54DFEC.jpeg

4B70F9E9-B2D1-43AF-A2D0-859397210A09.jpeg

The Shimmer:
What version number do you have?
Mine says 2.0 under version and when I look under the temperature menu there are no options to set, it just shows the current temp and whether the fan is currently on or off.
I tried every button on the unit and remote and have no way to set the fan based on temp.

My fan comes on and stays on if any light is set above 19%

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What version number do you have?
Mine says 2.0 under version and when I look under the temperature menu there are no options to set, it just shows the current temp and whether the fan is currently on or off.
I tried every button on the unit and remote and have no way to set the fan based on temp.

My fan comes on and stays on if any light is set above 19%
I’ll have to check in the morning. I could be mistaken and it was just cooling from being in 80 degree heat on the porch but it seemed to change as I hit the minus button

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have par meter....let me know exactly what u want to check and ill do it for ya....juat give me a few days cuz ill be drinking on weekends
With mounting arm height fully extended, 10% 40%, 40%, 40%, 10%, 5% when you get time

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check in the morning. I could be mistaken and it was just cooling from being in 80 degree heat on the porch but it seemed to change as I hit the minus button
I'm starting to think these ship with slightly different firmware. I read a review that said the fans came on at any setting over 25%. Mine comes on at any setting over 19% and runs a constant speed no matter what the temp.

It's not loud but I can hear it from about 8' away.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. My fan is not even noticeable. Seems to be a constant speed when it’s on but not even noticeable noise wise

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think these ship with slightly different firmware. I read a review that said the fans came on at any setting over 25%. Mine comes on at any setting over 19% and runs a constant speed no matter what the temp.

It's not loud but I can hear it from about 8' away.
That was me emailing them directly. That's the number they gave me (25%)

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. My fan is not even noticeable. Seems to be a constant speed when it’s on but not even noticeable noise wise
Well, my tank is completely silent otherwise so maybe it's just more noticeable.

Can anyone else comment on whether they have the ability to change the fan speed based on temp setting?
Im considering maybe returning it and just spending the extra $100 for an ai prime.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my tank is completely silent otherwise so maybe it's just more noticeable.

Can anyone else comment on whether they have the ability to change the fan speed based on temp setting?
Im considering maybe returning it and just spending the extra $100 for an ai prime.
The primes fan is so loud, much louder than smatfarm.

I have 7 of these lights, there is version 1.1 and 2.0 right now. 2.0 fan comes on at 20% power to save the diodes, the 1.1 fan has variable speed depending on temp.

Neither version can adjust fan speed.

These are amazing lights, I run them with led bars and the shimmer is perfect and color is great. I run all channels 35% and with led bars I get 200 par on sand of 21” tank

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primes fan is so loud, much louder than smatfarm.

I have 7 of these lights, there is version 1.1 and 2.0 right now. 2.0 fan comes on at 20% power to save the diodes, the 1.1 fan has variable speed depending on temp.

Neither version can adjust fan speed.

These are amazing lights, I run them with led bars and the shimmer is perfect and color is great. I run all channels 35% and with led bars I get 200 par on sand of 21” tank
Thanks for the confirmation.
I do like the light and the timer works perfect for my needs.... I'm running it over an LPS/ Softie waterbox 20 cube, maybe I can get away with keeping the settings at 19% and lower.
Currently im running at: 5%,19%,19%,19%,0%,3% and everything seems ok but it's only been on the tank for 5 days.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do wish for is more programmability but I’m not sure if any light does what I want. For example I want sunrise/sunset to be the windex look (to bring out that flouresence) and then the day to be whiter. It seems the sunrise/sunset can only be programmed for timer but not the coloration you want. I understand the whole blending aspect but I’d be fine with a quick ramp up to the whites for a more blue photoperiod

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do wish for is more programmability but I’m not sure if any light does what I want. For example I want sunrise/sunset to be the windex look (to bring out that flouresence) and then the day to be whiter. It seems the sunrise/sunset can only be programmed for timer but not the coloration you want. I understand the whole blending aspect but I’d be fine with a quick ramp up to the whites for a more blue photoperiod

Then fork out another 200$ per light :)

Controllability is not a perk of leds, it’s a hamper

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's overkill honestly. I like that it maintains the spectrum and just increases the intensity. I also like that you can set the ramp times for as long or short as you want.

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I was mistaken, @ReeferCraze was right. The temperature setting was just letting me know the temperature of the unit and fan status. I cannot change it. I’m running V2

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another beginner question. Sorry if it’s been addressed. I see how people are setting these lights and working there way up to higher settings. What about when you are using these lights for a new build? Do I add my first coral to a lower setting and then work my way higher? Do I start where I want them then adjust the coral to different depths until it is where I want it in its final placement? What about once it is established at the power I want, with corals I want, then want to introduce a new coral? Do I lower and re-acclimate all over again?

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another beginner question. Sorry if it’s been addressed. I see how people are setting these lights and working there way up to higher settings. What about when you are using these lights for a new build? Do I add my first coral to a lower setting and then work my way higher? Do I start where I want them then adjust the coral to different depths until it is where I want it in its final placement? What about once it is established at the power I want, with corals I want, then want to introduce a new coral? Do I lower and re-acclimate all over again?
Generally, and others may chime in here too, you put the coral where you want and adjust the lighting accordingly (even with new builds). That being said, you should also take into account the general knowledge of the coral itself, like lower light corals towards the bottom and higher light up top.

As for new additions, I always recommend acclimating them to the light. To my knowledge, A temporary decrease in light is not going to kill established coral but shocking them with too much light will. Now some will say adjust the coral as well, I’ve seen it where people put it on a frag rack at the bottom and then slowly move the frag rack up to the height they want the coral at.

jor8888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know what setting for blues only for torches 12" from the light? 0 50 50 50 0 10 atm, I tried 0 75 75 75 0 10 seems too bright.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches are all happy. my Smat Farm lights are mounted 8.5" above the water.

One of my torches is about 8" below the surface, another one is about 12" below the surface.
Both are growing like crazy.

currently running my blues at 80.

15/80/80/80/10/20
also running a supplemental 470nm led bar

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it an a hood or are you mounting it on an arm?

These lights are over a tank in my (unfinished) basement, so I had some mounting issues to work around. I needed a wall mounted support for my lights, so i came up with a 8020 mount for my (2) smat farm lights and a 470nm led bar. I left room for a second led bar too.

I mounted a pair of 8020 rails vertically on my wall, then mounted the support to those... that way I can slide it up/down on the wall tracks to raise/lower the lights as needed. happy with how it turned out.

20220430_124008.jpg

20220501_002613.jpg

20220501_002627.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back