Smiddy's Reef 360 Peninsula

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral QT light has been set up. Subject to move this weekend with a potential new layout @Gablami

Coral QT 9.JPG
Coral QT 8.JPG
Looking forward to seeing it. Should be a fun project.

Just had another thought for you to consider. Instead of having the coral QT in the corner, if you extend the table like an L between the table and the sink, have the coral QT on the bottom, and frag tank on the top. That way you don't have to worry about dripping from the coral QT to the frag tank, or have the QT less accessible in the corner. Maybe the corner can be shelving or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing it. Should be a fun project.

Just had another thought for you to consider. Instead of having the coral QT in the corner, if you extend the table like an L between the table and the sink, have the coral QT on the bottom, and frag tank on the top. That way you don't have to worry about dripping from the coral QT to the frag tank, or have the QT less accessible in the corner. Maybe the corner can be shelving or something.

Lets see how it planning goes this weekend. I have to do some other things non fish related, but I will make some time for this!

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like your aquascape structure. Clean and simple, fish and coral friendly!
That is the goal! Allow for a lot of flow adjustments.

Healthy looking fish! Good job with the QT. Love that first FTS.

Thank you! I think it helps when you take pictures with a real camera

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@izzyishh here are the fatty tiles, I will get my DSLR out soon to get better photos:
Tilefish.JPG
Morning!!! Question for ya this is the 2nd time I have experience pop eye with my tile fish over the last 5 years owning this species. Have you ever had pop eye with them?

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning!!! Question for ya this is the 2nd time I have experience pop eye with my tile fish over the last 5 years owning this species. Have you ever had pop eye with them?

Yes actually I have, but only once. It was an injury induced one. Tiles are very eager fish and like to hit my screen top with there heads, over and over. Any trauma around or on the eye can lead to popeye. Usually goes away in two weeks or less.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes actually I have, but only once. It was an injury induced one. Tiles are very eager fish and like to hit my screen top with there heads, over and over. Any trauma around or on the eye can lead to popeye. Usually goes away in two weeks or less.

Glad its just not me I do notice they do poorly around my acros during feeding time. They dart too close to the branches for food so possible that's how it keeps happening. Thanks for the quick reply!

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad its just not me I do notice they do poorly around my acros during feeding time. They dart too close to the branches for food so possible that's how it keeps happening. Thanks for the quick reply!

I can totally see that. If the eye ball itself begins to get hazy at all then there is potential infections and can/should be treated with meds.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I’ll be envious. Won’t be getting one due to my bare bottom. But gorgeous fish!

I just need to be patient until one becomes available. Yeah I just can't do bare bottom, something about not having sand... just doesn't work for me.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need to be patient until one becomes available. Yeah I just can't do bare bottom, something about not having sand... just doesn't work for me.
I hear ya. I prefer the look of sand too. In some sense I’m just doing things different than I did before. First time around I had sand, this time BB. Last time I used dry rock, this time live rock. Last time t5/led hybrid, this time all led.

About 2 years ago my LFS brought in around 5 tamarin wrasses. All healthy and eating. I think they were about $800/ea iirc? I just couldn’t pull the trigger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back