OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fair. Just testing all your basis till you are ready for the retirement tank and you know what bath you want to do! I am debating about doing the hybrid with T5's but I would wait till by tank as some SPS and I see signs of shading or weird growth patterns.

Yeah they are not cheap... but they do look amazing. Almost all the cool wrasses require sand.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got new trees the need to be watered constantly. Decided to make it a two for one:

RO Line 3.JPG
RO Line 2.JPG
RO Line 1.JPG

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral QT is up and running. I was over waiting. Honestly still haven't heard anything back from AA about the damaged tank.
Currently filling up the fish QT again as well, because you just never know when you will find a must have.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. In my experience, for sensitive fish, it’s good to have a QT that’s been running, not a fresh sterile system. And yes, never know when you’re gonna find a gem :).

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral QT or Frag tank which ever I choose it to be is now plumbed into the main system via a DOS utilizing the AWC system that is already occurring. DT - Coral QT - Waste water drain line. Everything has been calibrated to match.
Coral QT 10.JPG

Fish QT is back up a running with a few new inhabitants.
Black Leopard 1.JPG
Flame Wrasse 1.JPG

With corals a a few weeks/ months still out. I might be using the Coral QT as a fish QT so the wrasses do not have to go through a full 30 day copper treatment. 14 days and general cure. I am also planning on receiving another coral QT due to the previous damages. Which hopefully can utilize both tanks. One for Coral QT and one frag system.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral QT or Frag tank which ever I choose it to be is now plumbed into the main system via a DOS utilizing the AWC system that is already occurring. DT - Coral QT - Waste water drain line. Everything has been calibrated to match.
Coral QT 10.JPG

Fish QT is back up a running with a few new inhabitants.
Black Leopard 1.JPG
Flame Wrasse 1.JPG

With corals a a few weeks/ months still out. I might be using the Coral QT as a fish QT so the wrasses do not have to go through a full 30 day copper treatment. 14 days and general cure. I am also planning on receiving another coral QT due to the previous damages. Which hopefully can utilize both tanks. One for Coral QT and one frag system.
When I was doing AWC I always wanted to setup a QT system where the waste water from the tank went to QT and then overflowed to drain. Cool idea and implementation. And beautiful new fish. Flame wrasses are awesome.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was doing AWC I always wanted to setup a QT system where the waste water from the tank went to QT and then overflowed to drain. Cool idea and implementation. And beautiful new fish. Flame wrasses are awesome.
Thank you. I just hope it all stays calibrated and in sync for at least 6-9 months. They are awesome for sure. This female is showing some signs of transitioning, but will most likely still be a few months. The black leopard will be a gamble for sure. I saw it eat frozen. But it was tiny and they are the hardest to QT and getting eating

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I just hope it all stays calibrated and in sync for at least 6-9 months. They are awesome for sure. This female is showing some signs of transitioning, but will most likely still be a few months. The black leopard will be a gamble for sure. I saw it eat frozen. But it was tiny and they are the hardest to QT and getting eating
I’m optimistic for your leopard. I’ve had 3 leopard (one blue star) and I never had a problem with any of them. I’ve heard they are difficult though. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m optimistic for your leopard. I’ve had 3 leopard (one blue star) and I never had a problem with any of them. I’ve heard they are difficult though. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky.
I have one now that’s doing great. I have had a few in the past, but never luck with a black. I would like a potters to add to the group but they are so hard to come by healthy.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tried a black, or a potters. I guess I won’t be able to for awhile with my bare bottom. I moved over a male leopard, and he is hiding in the rocks at night. Feel a little bad for him, but otherwise he seems fine.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tried a black, or a potters. I guess I won’t be able to for awhile with my bare bottom. I moved over a male leopard, and he is hiding in the rocks at night. Feel a little bad for him, but otherwise he seems fine.

Potters are the hardest IMO followed by blacks. We will see I have high hopes, but realistic approach.
I mean you can always put a pyrex dish with sand somewhere ( hopefully hidden) if it gets to the point where he is super stressed. What type of male do you have?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters are the hardest IMO followed by blacks. We will see I have high hopes, but realistic approach.
I mean you can always put a pyrex dish with sand somewhere ( hopefully hidden) if it gets to the point where he is super stressed. What type of male do you have?
Just the regular male leopard wrasse. Had him for a couple years as a female and got to watch his transition over a month or so (very cool to watch!).

He really doesn’t seem stressed, but I don’t speak fish. I’d rather catch and remove him than have a sand dish somewhere.

Now my mandarin on the other hand is having trouble with this bare bottom thing and the flow. Hanging out in one corner all day long. Not sure it can handle it. Probably will need to remove him. Sad, because I felt keeping him was an accomplishment.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the regular male leopard wrasse. Had him for a couple years as a female and got to watch his transition over a month or so (very cool to watch!).

He really doesn’t seem stressed, but I don’t speak fish. I’d rather catch and remove him than have a sand dish somewhere.

Now my mandarin on the other hand is having trouble with this bare bottom thing and the flow. Hanging out in one corner all day long. Not sure it can handle it. Probably will need to remove him. Sad, because I felt keeping him was an accomplishment.

The transitioning of really any fish are really cool to watch!

Well I guess you will just have to see how it goes. To bad I am not close I would take your leopard off your hands.

I would call that an accomplishment for sure, but yeah they are not the best of swimmer for a high flow BB SPS tank.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer to 2.5pp. All is doing well so far. Black Leopard took a while to eat and have to go real slow:
Black Leopard 3.JPG
Black Leopard 2.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never gotten into copper treatments because TTM has always worked well for me. I always felt there were more things to go wrong with copper. But you have people that swear by both sides. I guess I’m always somewhat impressed by people who copper and do it well. It’s like another side of the hobby I’ve never explored.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tag onto the last post. Putting a leopard wrasses through copper is very impressive. They are not a very easy fish to keep QTd IMO.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never gotten into copper treatments because TTM has always worked well for me. I always felt there were more things to go wrong with copper. But you have people that swear by both sides. I guess I’m always somewhat impressed by people who copper and do it well. It’s like another side of the hobby I’ve never explored.

To be honest TTM is good for ich, but I am not sold on the velvet portion yet, which I am most concerned with. I am also lazy. Transferring fish every 3 days. Especially delicate fish that have special requirements like sand sleepers etc. re sterilizing ever few days... wasn't for me ( Especially since playoff hockey is back on!).

Don't get me wrong there is significant risk with copper. I 100% agree with it being another side of the hobby, which I am defiantly enjoying and getting more and more comfortable with. Specifically all the different types of meds and when to use them and when not too. I have turned my fish room workbench into move of a lab for the past few months haha.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tag onto the last post. Putting a leopard wrasses through copper is very impressive. They are not a very easy fish to keep QTd IMO.

After getting the ornate through the previous copper and GC batch, made me feel more comfortable doing a black lep. I had help from humble fish through the process which is the true key I think.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest TTM is good for ich, but I am not sold on the velvet portion yet, which I am most concerned with. I am also lazy. Transferring fish every 3 days. Especially delicate fish that have special requirements like sand sleepers etc. re sterilizing ever few days... wasn't for me ( Especially since playoff hockey is back on!).

Don't get me wrong there is significant risk with copper. I 100% agree with it being another side of the hobby, which I am defiantly enjoying and getting more and more comfortable with. Specifically all the different types of meds and when to use them and when not too. I have turned my fish room workbench into move of a lab for the past few months haha.
I hear ya. I primarily do I for ich, plus the prazi. I’ve never heard of a case of velvet after TTM. I’ve heard of velvet presenting during TTM, which then needs to be treated with copper or chloroquine phosphate. But not after. Maybe that experiences has been posted out there and I just haven’t run into it yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back