OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, great point on the nutrient IMPORT side of things. Seems obvious but I never considered that side of things. And I have everything to grow it, and wouldn’t need to buy sheets.

But then every morning I’ll have to get my hands wet pulling out breakfast for the fish. I’m considering it. Will have more room in the fuge on this build.

I do think it becomes significant in larger tanks with a ton of tangs and herbivores. I have seen people go through 2 sheets of nori a day... That will build up over time. Yes I paid like 40 bucks for sea lettuce and red grac from algae barn and don't plan to spend a dime more on algea foods.

I am lucky enough to have that tank divider in my fuge. As you can see from my photos, once the lettuce was large enough I put some over the top of the divider so I don;t have to get my hands wet to harvest.
I got an idea though for your case. If you have to algea clips. One can be used for display feeding. The other mount high enough in your fuge attach a piece of algea and let it grow out from the clip. Once it is large enough some will float at the top for easy daily pickings. Ulva grows at an alarming rate... so I am sure you will have still throw some out.
I have also noticed ulva seems to be my pod farm in comparison to cheato. So every meal pods get directly placed in the DT, curious if my leopards will being to notice.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Leopard QT:
Everything seems well with the three wrasses in QT. Handling chelated quite well actually. Ornate will eat anything I throw in there now.

Ornate Lepoard wrasse 4.JPG

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I am following this build is to get updates on those skunk tile fish! I have two my self and will be adding another 2. How are they doing so far? Love the build thread BTW

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I am following this build is to get updates on those skunk tile fish! I have two my self and will be adding another 2. How are they doing so far? Love the build thread BTW
I will make sure to get you an update on these tiles. They are now VERY fat. They are the most aggressive eaters I currently have in the tank. I am worried they will get two fat, but I feed anthias 3 times a day.. so they get lucky. Mine also are very interactive. If I go to the "food" corner, they will stick there head out of the water ( those who own tiles know what I mean) waiting to be fed.
Are you going to add two more skunks? or a different type? Purple? Blue head? Great fish.
Appreciate it!

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to add a purple and 1 more skunk my blue head was a dick -___- it would rip off my torch tenticles

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to add a purple and 1 more skunk my blue head was a dick -___- it would rip off my torch tenticles

I have never mixed the species. So I am super curious how that turns out for you. Please keep me updated when the time comes.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral QT tank came in..... with some damage. Should have a remake made by the end of the week and re shipped to me the following week. Was planning on setting this up this previous weekend. Not sure if I am going to have to resend this one back or not. If not a little acrylic glue and boom now have a frag tank and a coral QT tank.
Coral QT 7.JPG
Coral QT 6.JPG
Coral QT 5.JPG
Coral QT 4.JPG
Coral QT 3.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Sweet setup. I doubt they’ll have you send it back.

Man, your space looks more like a research lab than a home ;). Maybe it’s the labels on the drawers, whiteboard, and those blue stackable organizers. Maybe the Nalgene bottle too.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Sweet setup. I doubt they’ll have you send it back.

Man, your space looks more like a research lab than a home ;). Maybe it’s the labels on the drawers, whiteboard, and those blue stackable organizers. Maybe the Nalgene bottle too.

If they don't, I will honestly be very excited about it. I already made a plan that one would be a frag tank next to the fuge. Then I would replace the 55gal QT with two 29 gallons QT and fit the coral QT underneath it. Once the new tank comes in I will post a photo and maybe it will be kinda easy to see the lay out.

I mean I did the ok to have a "fish room" to do what I want with it... So why not make it a hobby lab. You should see how the drawers inside are and all of the tubs with labels are on the racks. Slight OCD... I mean even the PVC plumbing has labels on them.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it. It's funny how even in a big fish room, you can still run out of space. Like this hobby just expands to take up the space of whatever is available.

Can you keep the 55g and extend the stand like an L, towards the sink? Can't see what's there. Want to have access to the frag tank, so maybe take it out of the corner, and leave the coral QT in the corner instead? Just a thought. Otherwise, you're plan sounds good. 55g QT is pretty big, could definitely downsize.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is nuts!

actually I can probably make that work... I will go scheme it out and see what would also fit under that new stand. Need to make sure I can get above that area for the RO unit. Let’s see what I can come up with

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is an awesome build man! I love the scape it's just perfect. The tiles are so cool, where did you find those?
I'm very interested to see how this pans out in the future. Good luck!
God bless.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is an awesome build man! I love the scape it's just perfect. The tiles are so cool, where did you find those?
I'm very interested to see how this pans out in the future. Good luck!
God bless.

Thank you! I appreciate it. I actually found the tiles locally at an LFS.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Killer build man!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back