Smiddy's Reef 360 Peninsula

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D71C6F8B-B861-4FA1-A679-77A768325408.jpeg

Why is the reactor in a tank? Are you concern of leaks? Is the tank filled?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

NPS gorg is in the DT. 3 dips. 4 rinses. 25 full water changes.
New fish! I purchased some new QTed fish. Today I received 3 bimacs, one male and two females ( third female didn't make the trip), Convict Tang ( this fish is awesome, but long term will be the test due to its ability to hold on weight), juvy REGAL ANGEL!

All fish are in an observation tank at 1.019 sg. They where shipped in hypo as the treatment was done in hypo. Going to be raising sg for about 4 days or so as well observation. Pictures to come in the next few days. Hopefully everyone does well through the process. I am most nervous about the convict. Thinking about placing him in the fuge for a few weeks to graze all day with no distractions. Any other ideas?
Is there something I don’t know about convict tangs? Tough to get eating? I thought they were like most tangs, hardy and easy to get eating.

cant wait to see photos :). Wish you better luck with your regal than I had.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the reactor in a tank? Are you concern of leaks? Is the tank filled?

No real concern for leaks, but it was a perk of placing the CARX in the tank. The tank is empty. The real reason it is in that tank is because of storage room and the fiance starting to say you are accumlating to many tanks and taking up our storage space outside of your fish room. I have another tank in the garage haha.

This tank is going to be epic.

Thank you! I sure hope so.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something I don’t know about convict tangs? Tough to get eating? I thought they were like most tangs, hardy and easy to get eating.

cant wait to see photos :). Wish you better luck with your regal than I had.

*IMO* Convict tangs are hard to keep truly healthy. I lost a baby convict in QT, classic of case of the other half saying can you try and save it from the LFS. I should know better by now. This new one is already show signs I do not like at all. Stuck to a weak powerhead..... yeah I know where this is going to go :(. Made him an isolation box to help recover.

The regal is already eating which is a great sign! He is small so not fully color developed on the dorsal. I wanted a juvy. Observational evidence of lowering the risk of becoming a coral nipper. We will see. I will get the new arrival photos once they are settled in and photogenic hopefully it is a photo of 5 and not 4. Isolation tank currently isn't a great backdrop but we all have our "ugly" side of this hobby. The tank is the QT that I had to convert very quickly to isolation. Glad I let it running at 2.52ppm copper for 38 days. No parasites so be there. 100% water change and carbon. Now an isolation tank 3 days later.

I am about to post photos of everything else after this.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Photos of some of the new things.

Flame Wrasse does not like the cell phone camera AT ALL. This was the best I could get. Black Lep is very fast, but gave me a few two for one photos. Maybe this weekend I will get the DSLR
Gig Clown DT.JPG
NPS Gorg.JPG
Black Leopard  DT 2.JPG
Black Leopard  DT 1.JPG
Flame Wrasse DT.JPG
camera out

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome really great work on the build! that anthias trio looks so nice! im also here in Colorado, awesome to see tanks from around the state

Appreciate it. Feel free to come check it out if you want! Thornton

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size glass is this tank made from.. i emailed them and a 7ftx3ftx20" came back with euro braced re inforced seams and 1/2 glass.. i thought 1/2 seems small or 7ft and 3 ft wide..

I do have 1/2 glass. eurobraced, re enforced seams and edges ( Stainless Steel)

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh so i guess a 3ft by 7ft 1/2 is ok....interesting.. sounds small but ur tank is bigger than what i want lol oh well wider but my plan is a ft longer.. hmm ok well good to know.. stainless edges? havent seen it

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh so i guess a 3ft by 7ft 1/2 is ok....interesting.. sounds small but ur tank is bigger than what i want lol

Yes I feel it will be fine at 1/2", as long has it is braced and reinforced. You can ask for 3/4 if you want it!
To be fair I request 1/2" if it was a possible solution, due to weight and several magnetic items are available for 1/2" glass.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely stunning build! How did you skip the ugly phase? I didn't see any evidence of one!

Thank you! I didn't "try" to skip the ugly phase.. Just seemed to have a very small one. I had the fuge running really early and took a slightly different approach to bacteria adding then most.
Added the initial turbostart,then dosed ( small amount) every 2 days Microbacter 7 for 3 months, then dosed microbacter clean (small amount) every 2 days for 2 months. I have stopped dosing bacteria about a month ago.
This could be pure luck and no science.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back