Smite's UNS 120s peninsula

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This guys growing well @minus9! My phone can’t pick up the coloration quite right but many it’s fury! Love the polyp extension on this one. Going to need to separate it from that orange piece soon.
2C793EBE-200F-4370-834C-49B8B90C150A.jpeg
Nice! I’ve been thinking about changing my flow for a while now. I’ve been doing the crazy random flow for a long time and some of my pieces are showing weird growth. What piece is this? I can’t remember?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I’ve been thinking about changing my flow for a while now. I’ve been doing the crazy random flow for a long time and some of my pieces are showing weird growth. What piece is this? I can’t remember?
I don't think it was a named piece. I'm pretty sure you mentioned you got it from a tank rescue maybe? It was a tenuis similar to the vivid's orangecrush piece I have.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think it was a named piece. I'm pretty sure you mentioned you got it from a tank rescue maybe? It was a tenuis similar to the vivid's orangecrush piece I have.
Cool, that's what I thought. I'm glad it's taking off for you. Mine has been struggling for so long and it doesn't even look like yours at all. I'm convinced that I have a pathogen in my tank, which is why I'm doing the AquaBiomics test this week.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, that's what I thought. I'm glad it's taking off for you. Mine has been struggling for so long and it doesn't even look like yours at all. I'm convinced that I have a pathogen in my tank, which is why I'm doing the AquaBiomics test this week.
It’ll be interesting to see what comes back. Do they give recommended levels or breakdowns/actions for the test results?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’ll be interesting to see what comes back. Do they give recommended levels or breakdowns/actions for the test results?
I don’t think there’s a recommendation, but more how it’s compared to other users diversity and what’s found on healthy reefs. I need to watch the stream Eli did with ReefDudes. I think he discusses possible remedies?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s a recommendation, but more how it’s compared to other users diversity and what’s found on healthy reefs. I need to watch the stream Eli did with ReefDudes. I think he discusses possible remedies?
I’ll have to check that out! My fear is do the test only to be left wondering what it means and what I should do about it?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll have to check that out! My fear is do the test only to be left wondering what it means and what I should do about it?
In your case, you could do it out of curiosity. I think if someone is having issues and suspects something is out of whack, it may give them some much needed answers. I’m doing it because my current tank has given me so many problems, that I think knowing what’s in the make up of the bacterial diversity or lack of could shed some light. This is the only tank that I’ve used dry rock (combined with live rock) and it’s been nothing but issues for me. My 22g I had before this was set up with ocean rock and I had corals in there almost instantly and sps were growing out of the water.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your case, you could do it out of curiosity. I think if someone is having issues and suspects something is out of whack, it may give them some much needed answers. I’m doing it because my current tank has given me so many problems, that I think knowing what’s in the make up of the bacterial diversity or lack of could shed some light. This is the only tank that I’ve used dry rock (combined with live rock) and it’s been nothing but issues for me. My 22g I had before this was set up with ocean rock and I had corals in there almost instantly and sps were growing out of the water.
Gotcha. Mine is originally from dry acid washed rock as well but from my 180g. So it’s a few years old now. I have had a few random events that seemed to target tenuis while everything else was fine. Might be worth a look, I’ll have to check it out.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting on an ATI icp to arrive in the mail. I’m interested to see my traces with this ARM EC calcium reactor media. So far from tests at home it’s pretty dialed in. It does seem to be holding my calcium slightly higher as well as magnesium but both are still within range. It did take dropping my reactor ph to 6.4-6.45 to get my effluent at 25-30 dkh ( if I did that right with my salifert) so about .1 lower than I burned the TLF at.
Pending that ICP I’m happy with the swap so far. Much cheaper than I was able to find reborn and the size of the media allows for good flow in the reactor.

Right when I decide to just accept my low nutrients amd feed heavily, my tank decides to change it up on me ;). This is in part to losing my scopas and rather than trash him I let him decompose in the sump Rest In Reef little guy.

Also from removing my skimmer cup for a flux treatment for bryopsis. Even with manual removal while siphoning it started to spread so fingers crossed. On Day 2 and so far so good. No visible effect on the bryopsis but I think that takes about a week if I remember right.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I need to search this forum for how to get my GEO reactor to dissolve co2 more effectively . I have a lot of bubbles circulating in the reactor. I run co2 media to keep my ph low at 7.9+ And my high will hit 8.3 with fresh scrubber media. Well the day I swapped calcium reactor media and cleaned everything my tank went slightly above 8.5 ph.

I know carx always lower tank ph but running two chambers with fine TLF media in the second degas chamber I feel like maybe my reactor is sending co2 directly to the tank.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, I need to search this forum for how to get my GEO reactor to dissolve co2 more effectively . I have a lot of bubbles circulating in the reactor. I run co2 media to keep my ph low at 7.9+ And my high will hit 8.3 with fresh scrubber media. Well the day I swapped calcium reactor media and cleaned everything my tank went slightly above 8.5 ph.

I know carx always lower tank ph but running two chambers with fine TLF media in the second degas chamber I feel like maybe my reactor is sending co2 directly to the tank.
Have you thought about putting your effluent into the intake of your skimmer? I may require slightly more maintenance with keeping the intake clean of deposits, but it's a great way of cheating the pH drop. Shutting off the skimmer once or twice a day during feeding will help clear the intake. Since I use chaeto, my effluent goes directly to my fuge. Do you have the older model Geo where it recirculates from the top and not the side?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, I'm trying to track down a couple pieces of the new Jakarta live rock. There's a place by LAX that gets it in, figured I'd try to diversify my bacteria some more. I know it's not going to be cheap, but I don't need much to help out.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I'm trying to track down a couple pieces of the new Jakarta live rock. There's a place by LAX that gets it in, figured I'd try to diversify my bacteria some more. I know it's not going to be cheap, but I don't need much to help out.
Let me know if you find it. If it's cheaper to get more I'd be interested in going in on it with you.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about putting your effluent into the intake of your skimmer? I may require slightly more maintenance with keeping the intake clean of deposits, but it's a great way of cheating the pH drop. Shutting off the skimmer once or twice a day during feeding will help clear the intake. Since I use chaeto, my effluent goes directly to my fuge. Do you have the older model Geo where it recirculates from the top and not the side?
Yeah it is the older GEO that pulls from the top. Very noisy due to it constantly sucking air into the circulation pump.

So I have the effluent going into the first section of the sump. The drain section that has my bio brick and some rubble. The next chamber has my skimmer section. I put a cheap jebao wavermaker in there hoping to circulated the water in the skimmer section thinking that may help? Not sure it does.

You gave me an idea that I'll try first because I'm horrible at maintenance lol. Now that I have some nutrients in the system I'm gonna tap the line to the algae reactor feed and send my effluent there. I'll move the effluent drain to the first chamber so it still get more degassing from the skimmer section. Hopefully that'll help. I'm pulling with the kameor so I don't need to see the effluent drip, hopefully it works well.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah it is the older GEO that pulls from the top. Very noisy due to it constantly sucking air into the circulation pump.

So I have the effluent going into the first section of the sump. The drain section that has my bio brick and some rubble. The next chamber has my skimmer section. I put a cheap jebao wavermaker in there hoping to circulated the water in the skimmer section thinking that may help? Not sure it does.

You gave me an idea that I'll try first because I'm horrible at maintenance lol. Now that I have some nutrients in the system I'm gonna tap the line to the algae reactor feed and send my effluent there. I'll move the effluent drain to the first chamber so it still get more degassing from the skimmer section. Hopefully that'll help. I'm pulling with the kameor so I don't need to see the effluent drip, hopefully it works well.
You can also shut your skimmer off during the day (for a couple hours at least) or when you have the algae reactor on? This will help with elevating your nutrients a little and give your reactor enough fuel to keep going. Plus, the o2/pH boost from the algae will help offset the skimmer being off to some degree. I’ve been off of PNS Probio for a while now, but ordered some to help get things back on track. I’m not sure why I stopped using it? Probably because I’ve been too busy with work and really haven’t had the time to do things on the tank.
I’ll keep you posted on the Jakarta rock.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this aussie table as a maricultured piece at the beginning of 2019. I almost lost it a couple times during the first year. It's finally found a happy spot, stabilized and is now coloring up. This thing was mostly blue when I got it, light hues are starting to come in around the base.
Aussie table.jpg
Aussie Table Side.jpg
Aussie Table close.jpg

When I first got it home in 2019. This was in my 180g prior to this sytem.
DSC_0396.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back