Snail poop?

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I woke up this morning to a large amount of small cylinder things on my sand bed. They are all in the center of my tank. At first I thought it was snail poop, but the amount of it, all showing up all over night, makes me think it might be something else. I've never experienced anything like this in any of my tanks, so I'm not really sure what it is. None of them are moving, I don't think they are worms, and they are a blackish/green color.. I took a bunch of pics, but only 2 turned out ok. Any input on this stuff would be great.

Screenshot_20210423-102906_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210423-104016_Gallery.jpg

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tank is 7 months old and the last thing I introduced was a Tomini Tang. I put him in the tank about 10 days ago. He's a small guy
i would take a sample out of the tank and take a closer look, maybe invest in a cheap $20 hand held microscope that zooms 30x to 100 x ..... that will give you a clue at least to what it is.

see if it breaks up easily, maybe take a look at night while the lights are off to see maybe some sort of hitchhiker came in there and is making a mess. other than that, im as puzzled as you are.

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would take a sample out of the tank and take a closer look, maybe invest in a cheap $20 hand held microscope that zooms 30x to 100 x ..... that will give you a clue at least to what it is.

see if it breaks up easily, maybe take a look at night while the lights are off to see maybe some sort of hitchhiker came in there and is making a mess. other than that, im as puzzled as you are.
That's actually a good idea, about looking at then under scope. My minor in college was geology, so I have plenty of scopes/rock glasses. Yeah, this is weird for sure. I'm haven't been home to see how it is now, but I wonder if my snails and crabs have cleaned it, or if they are even eating it...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back