Snail quarantine

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have about 27 Caribbean Cerith & 3 Nerite Snails on order. The seller gets directly from the ocean, so wondering if I should quarantine these guys or just aclimate and plop in. Been fighting a hell with green hair so been needin -_-, though been debating a lawnmower blenny too.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have about 27 Caribbean Cerith & 3 Nerite Snails on order. The seller gets directly from the ocean, so wondering if I should quarantine these guys or just aclimate and plop in. Been fighting a hell with green hair so been needin -_-, though been debating a lawnmower blenny too.
Nothing you can add besides maybe a nudi will take care of the GHA for you. Even then you need to get as much as you can so it's short.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this week I'm going to toothbrush the rock thats covered during cleaning but been a fight tryin to keep it from taking over

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went from like month 6 to month 9. Haven't seen it since.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had lawnmower blennies in the past and as soon as they realized the food I feed my fish is tasty the don’t touch gha . While your fixing the parameters that cause the gha to flourish , Mexican turbo snails in conjunction with a UV sterilizer of 25 watt or more has given me great results for gha . Sometimes you have to keep picking the from one area to placing them on the gha until it’s under control . Manual removal assisting will help speed things along as well . The Mexican strain of turbo snails are the only ones that I’ve found to eat gha . Good luck

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins will work as well but tend to also eat soft coral especially the tuxedo urchins

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins will work as well but tend to also eat soft coral especially the tuxedo urchins
Yeah ill probably get a couple turbos, they did great in my 125, this 40 has been a fight. But im moreso curious on if I should quarantine these snails coming directly from the ocean

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Acclimate them then introduce.
As for hair algae, large turbo grazers, carribean blue leg hermits, chitons and se hares do best. Pull off as much you can by hand and let the cleaners do the rest. Also reduce white light intensity a little.
Is tank at or near a window by chance?

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimate them then introduce.
As for hair algae, large turbo grazers, carribean blue leg hermits, chitons and se hares do best. Pull off as much you can by hand and let the cleaners do the rest. Also reduce white light intensity a little.
Is tank at or near a window by chance?
Nah but wondering if the white/red light may also be the problem. Also noticed my newer rock has been leeching phosphate in the water so been battling that with chemipure elite

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get new snails I take a old toothbrush to their shells and visually look under their shells for any thing obvious . But for the most part after that I acclimate and put them in the tank as I don’t think their is anything you can use to kill hitchhikers that won’t kill them .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red , green lights I never use and phosphates in the tank I’ve used phosphate E as it works quicker than chemipure u just have to start by using half dose until you get a feel for it as to how fast and much it works so that u don’t zero out your phosphates which will cause another problem which you don’t want . Get a good test kit . I use the Hanna ultra low phosphate tester which has worked good for me .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also try to keep nitrates between 5-10 or under just 20 if you keep mushroom coral

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red , green lights I never use and phosphates in the tank I’ve used phosphate E as it works quicker than chemipure u just have to start by using half dose until you get a feel for it as to how fast and much it works so that u don’t zero out your phosphates which will cause another problem which you don’t want . Get a good test kit . I use the Hanna ultra low phosphate tester which has worked good for me .
Yeah ive been using my hanna tester phos been about .15 so been tryin to get it to drop, thankfully my corals havent been angry yet, nitrate been fluctuating between 5-20

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ive been using my hanna tester phos been about .15 so been tryin to get it to drop, thankfully my corals havent been angry yet, nitrate been fluctuating between 5-20
So no red or green cut back on white and that should help with the algae issue?

MeanGull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ill probably get a couple turbos, they did great in my 125, this 40 has been a fight. But im moreso curious on if I should quarantine these snails coming directly from the ocean
Definitely quarantine. You wouldn't believe what else lives, on them, in them, around them. From cysts to spores to eggs. Things that take time to hatch.

Start a diatom bloom in your QT so the snails have something to eat while in there.

I wouldn't personally go out of my way to kill the hitchhikers, rather keep snails separated for observation. Keep a look out and take it from there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nah but wondering if the white/red light may also be the problem. Also noticed my newer rock has been leeching phosphate in the water so been battling that with chemipure elite
Red promotes algae- May be your answer

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.15 phosphates isn’t too bad . How long are you running your UV and at what percentage ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back