Snail Semen?

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The joke may be on me but a snail this morning at the top of a rock display was secreting huge smoke signals of white plumes that were mixing into the water. This was to the point that the entire DT was becoming foggy. Is this normal? I already have two Chromis not doing well last minute and fish on the way. Now this.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm, Interesting. Let see if the #reefsquad can help you.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No reason to worry. I have this happen every few weeks. The tank will stay cloudy for a couple hours as the corals consume these gamete cells and the skimmer then pulls the remainder out. I don't necessarily try to "breed" these snails (mine are red banded Trochus), but I have hundreds ranging in size from nearly microscopic to adult size. I think it's a great thing to have a self perpetuating clean up crew.

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they all do it at the same time? Looks like three are letting off steam. And do they make their own shells?

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Generally they will all (or many of them) do it at the same time. For me they typically move to the top of the tank walls or the highest point of the rocks they are on and you see this "steam" effect. Eventually it will make the whole tank cloudy if you have enough of them. If the egg and sperm come in contact they will make a tiny larval/planktonic snail. I do not have any knowledge of this stage of their life. I will "see" them as 0.1 mm size snails with a tiny shell under a magnifying loupe in my sump or on the glass or "feel" them as "sand" when I clean my skimmer a week/weeks or so after the event. So their shell grows with them.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens with my trochus , now have lots of babies all over the tank ranging in different sizes. It can make the tank really cloudy for a couple of hours. Really freaked me out the first time it happened .

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally they will all (or many of them) do it at the same time. For me they typically move to the top of the tank walls or the highest point of the rocks they are on and you see this "steam" effect. Eventually it will make the whole tank cloudy if you have enough of them. If the egg and sperm come in contact they will make a tiny larval/planktonic snail. I do not have any knowledge of this stage of their life. I will "see" them as 0.1 mm size snails with a tiny shell under a magnifying loupe in my sump or on the glass or "feel" them as "sand" when I clean my skimmer a week/weeks or so after the event. So their shell grows with them.

Thanks

OP
OP
ReefSCTim

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens with my trochus , now have lots of babies all over the tank ranging in different sizes. It can make the tank really cloudy for a couple of hours. Really freaked me out the first time it happened .

Thanks. Freaked me out too. I chunked him in the trash. But he’s fine back in the DT after y’all's comments. You saved him.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine tend to go up high to do it. They often will do it from the top of the return nozzle and broadcast spew. It always amazes me how much comes out from the little snail.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
423B19F0-5F28-41B3-816F-06B2EDAF6647.jpeg

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say how thankful I am for the "search" function. I was able to pull this up in a panic to see what was going on with my snails. They are doing this exact thing, clouding my entire tank up! I was getting ready to pull them out, but decided to hit my R2R search first...and bingo...here I am. Thanks for the info. Now I can relax!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back