Snails scratching the glass.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ziggy17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ziggy17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2023
Messages
1,607
Reaction score
1,429
Location
Gotham
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the last few weeks, I’ve noticed a couple new scratches on the front pane. I’m extremely careful when I scrape, and I always scrape vertically. 3 days ago, I noticed a new light scratch that went for an inch, and then stopped for a cm, then started again for another 2”. Faint hairline scratch, but if on the right angle, it’s there. Vexed as to how it got there, but even more odd was that it’s horizontal.
Fast forward to today. Go to clean the glass, there are 2 new ones that 100 % weren’t there a few days ago. One vertical, another horizontal. I have two fairly large turbos that I’ve noticed lately sleeping at the bottom of the glass, when they usually dive into a cave or under a ledge for the lights on phase. It has to be one of them.

Has anyone else had this issue? I’m annoyed but it’s also kinda funny that nature is giving me the finger in its own way…..
 
other than CUC, nothing moves horizontal in that tank that would/could cause the scratches. And I’m the only one that maintains it. I was sceptical as well, but no other explanation unless someone else has an alternative theory.
I’m thinking it’s when a hitchhiking snail climbs on another snail’s shell for a free ride and somehow it’s scratching the glass.
 
I've put so many scratches in tanks I should be ashamed of myself. It's why I'll never have an acrylic tank. Usually I don't even realize I've made the scratch until later. Magnetic frag racks are really good at scratching glass if slid around when scraping.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new