Snowflake Eel care Advices

Tati

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys!
I got a snowflake eel for my fishtank recently and have no clue about their care and what u have to do to make him happy and flourishing.
I got a feeding stick and gave him a pieces of tuna he took right away.
May I ask ur tips and trick on care/feeding/etc
Would love to get any input on a subject.
Thnx! :D

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the easiest fish to keep really, feed a varied diet, live and dead food, I used to feed mine twice a week with live food (shrimp, crab and silversides) and the odd dead food (mussels mainly)
and have a tight fitting lid as it will escape from the smallest of gaps.
Make sure it has a hiding place it can always retreat to, it will make it feel secure.
Do not feed it by hand, as it sometimes misses its food (poor eyesight) and will bite your hand. its painful, I know from experience.
Other than that just enjoy the fish, one of my favourites.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with John and add that they are capable of using rock work close to the surface to push up the glass canopy and escape. I had one that was about 1.5 feet long that did just this and survived after I found him the next morning 12 feet away. Make sure it has a cave facing the front glass so you can enjoy it. A broken clay flower pot works well if you don’t have stable rock work

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the lid. I had a snowflake moray but one day he escaped through the hole where the wires were. I was on vacation so I didnt save him on time. While I had him though he was a good feeder. These eels can easily get fat so dont overfeed.

Good luck and happy Reefing

dstevenstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found feeding mine until it started not to take the food instantly but sort of sniffed and picked at it meant it was full.
I did that twice a week

Thanks, mine is still a juvenile so it is difficult to tell. He grabs the food and hides and then comes back for more. I usually just see if he pops his nose back out. I feed 3 times a week. He has double in size in 2 months

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one but am afraid that it will eat my cleaner shrimp.

When starting my tank iI wanted a snowflake eel, mandarin goby, an anemone.

And here we are with a tang, clowns, mandarin goby, flasher wrasse and a cleaner shrimp. Any thoughts on them being able to stay in the same tank, I know my boyfriend would die if that cleaner shrimp was eaten.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And here we are with a tang, clowns, mandarin goby, flasher wrasse and a cleaner shrimp. Any thoughts on them being able to stay in the same tank, I know my boyfriend would die if that cleaner shrimp was eaten.
If the eel is well fed then it probably wont eat the shrimp, mine let the cleaner shrimp do its thing even on its mouth and never went for it, that's not to say yours wont but in my opinion the best way is just to make sure the eel is well fed and full.

dstevenstn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The biggest issue is they don't see well. They will bite at things nearby. It isn't necessarily the kind of thing you can just watch, because I don't think the intent is there from an aggression standpoint.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 63 47.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back