Snowflake Eel versus Japanese Dragon Eel?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried this combination but I don't think it would be an issue. If I add a Snowflake to my predator reef will my Japanese Dragon try and eat it or will they ignore each other? Studying the demeanor of the Dragon I'm thinking it won't be an issue. So has anyone kept a Snowflake or other Eel with a Japanese Dragon?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I've had larger morays eat smaller ones was when they were on the verge of dying. Had an Abbot's moray jump during a feeding, he was wobbly after I put him back in the tank. Big whitemouth had him mostly swallowed the next morning.

Dragon morays' teeth are made for holding onto fish, I doubt he would do anything to another eel.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I've had larger morays eat smaller ones was when they were on the verge of dying. Had an Abbot's moray jump during a feeding, he was wobbly after I put him back in the tank. Big whitemouth had him mostly swallowed the next morning.

Dragon morays' teeth are made for holding onto fish, I doubt he would do anything to another eel.
That's what I was thinking, thanks for confirming.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept an enchelycore. Eels do eat other eels in the wild. I would be wary if the dragon was significantly bigger than the snowflake as I have heard of large gymnotherax eels eating smaller eels and I imagine gymnotherax and enchelycores are similar as fish eaters. Though as Steve says I'd theorize that the long skinny teeth of enchelycore are made for fast fish not big strong ones like another eel. You can tell a lot about an animal from its teeth.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it should be fine, my 1st instict from my experiences is the Snowflake will be fine. The Dragon as well as my fish are well fed and the dragon is really chill until I turn off the pumps to feed them and it smells the food, then its get some shrimp in that eel quick before he knocks over corals in the initial frenzy. Will give an update if I add the snowflake. The dragon eel is 25 inches long now.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many keep the dragon with other eels with no issues.

How big is the snowflake in question, even though there;s no definitive recommendation of size. A smaller snowflake may be more venerable but also may not pose a threat and be ignored. As long there is enough real estate and den choices not to cause a territorial dispute, it should be ok.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's a big dragon eel. I'd try to find a larger snowflake or it'd be too risky for me.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many keep the dragon with other eels with no issues.

How big is the snowflake in question, even though there;s no definitive recommendation of size. A smaller snowflake may be more venerable but also may not pose a threat and be ignored. As long there is enough real estate and den choices not to cause a territorial dispute, it should be ok.
Thanks Lion King that's what I was thinking. The Snowflake's gonna be a decent size and they have a plethora of rocks, caves etc... providing more than enough cover.
20220503_122655.jpg
20221007_091257.jpg
20221007_090826.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it should be fine, my 1st instict from my experiences is the Snowflake will be fine. The Dragon as well as my fish are well fed and the dragon is really chill until I turn off the pumps to feed them and it smells the food, then its get some shrimp in that eel quick before he knocks over corals in the initial frenzy. Will give an update if I add the snowflake. The dragon eel is 25 inches long now.

I've kept both of those species, but never together (not because I avoided it, just never needed to - Dragons were kept in species tanks).

I'd be worried if the size differential is too great. The dragon may not eat the snowflake, but it may strike blindly looking for other food.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back