So I guess Eco Tech just no longer supports mac

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to explain.
Apple was running on x86 Architecture (Intel and AMD), the same as windows. The underlying hardware can run either OS.

Apple Silicone is Apple proprietary CPU architecture and instruction set and glue… it will only run Apple. Of course somebody may build a bare metal emulator for other Operating systems… would be faster than Parallels but slower than native… so why?
Well, if we're geeking out over here :p

Apple Silicon is actually an SoC with Apple designed arm cores based on aarch64 (ARM8.5 specifically) ISA, with lots of private, undocumented extensions and coprocessors.

Also, because it does support the standard aarch64 ISA and comes with unlocked bootloader you can actually get other OSs to run on their hardware. We, my team did so with PongoOS, Marcan did so with Asai Linux and technically if Microsoft would bother to sign it and provide drivers, Windows On ARM could be ported as well.

Emulating it isn't very difficult either, and one could port macOS to other aarch64 computers if they're willing to invest the time required to do so.

Last edited:

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A third party can reverse engineer the protocol and reimplement it, of course.
The question is would it be worth it? Properly reverse engineering it alone could take weeks worth of work, not as a side project but as your daily job, implementing a user friendly app would be the same.

Same goes for pretty much any thing else you'd want to do, it's not impossible and sometimes can be done as a side project when some really want to achieve a result, I've done it before many many times, its satisfying and fun but requires a big investment of time and dedication.
Yeah I apologized though for mistakenly calling it IOS lol I see the trend of manufacturers in the Reefing community going away from playing friendly to becoming more and more unfriendly making their equipment as suites and not
Interacting with others systems this will ultimately limit the innovations that come to market. Each system has its own benefits and disadvantages and if one would like to have all the benefits of multiple systems there needs to be a company to step up and build the interface, and I actually just messaged my nephew about trying to do something like that because like I said I like the ReefBot tester and would like to incorporate it with my Apex because let’s face it the Trident is lack luster at best I also like the redundancy of the Hydro’s system and the new Kraken power block looks like it will be a really nice piece, plus Hydro’s wave engine app I think is one of the more user friendly ones out right now, but the user interface of the apex and simple coding is also nice.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if we're geeking out over here :p

Apple Silicon is actually an SoC with their Apple designed arm cores based on aarch64 (ARM8.5 specifically) ISA, with lots of private, undocumented extensions and coprocessors.
dang you computer Nerds let me get my Google translator out so I know what y’all are talking about lol.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I apologized though for mistakenly calling it IOS lol I see the trend of manufacturers in the Reefing community going away from playing friendly to becoming more and more unfriendly making their equipment as suites and not
Interacting with others systems this will ultimately limit the innovations that come to market. Each system has its own benefits and disadvantages and if one would like to have all the benefits of multiple systems there needs to be a company to step up and build the interface, and I actually just messaged my nephew about trying to do something like that because like I said I like the ReefBot tester and would like to incorporate it with my Apex because let’s face it the Trident is lack luster at best I also like the redundancy of the Hydro’s system and the new Kraken power block looks like it will be a really nice piece, plus Hydro’s wave engine app I think is one of the more user friendly ones out right now, but the user interface of the apex and simple coding is also nice.
Haha no worries! I just found it interesting to see so many people in one place to make the very same mistake.

Like I said before, it possible to do so.
Problem is that on top of the very apparent investment needs to be done to accomplish it in the first place, when you don't get official approval of the companies involved they can actually try to go and sue you for reimplementing their stuff if you haven't followed the black-box rules and your code looks unnecessarily similar to the original.
They may also intentionally try to constantly break your implementation, use code and protocol obfuscation techniques and what not just to make your product stop working properly, and cause you to invest more time fixing it.

It's just not a financially viable venture for a commercial product.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can barely get mobius to work right, why would they bother with older systems? Just another way to force consumers to buy the newest product!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back