Sirduckington

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I tried downloading ecotech's connection manager on my mac so I could control some radion g4s I bought. I kept getting errors from the installation software and it kept crashing so I emailed ecotech and this is the response I got, my OS is fully up to date. Seems kinda weird to not support one of the two major operating systems.
IMG_7203 2.jpg

czhao1009

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Curious about this as well.

Recently upgraded to M1 macbook air and trying to adjust my Radion XR15 light settings.

The connection manager app cannot be installed because "Apple cannot check it for malicious software", even after I tried to bypass it in the security settings, it still could not be installed.

So... what now? My only other option seems to be either 1) try to get my hands on a Windows laptop, or 2) buy a ReefLink (which I did research a bit and recent reviews are mostly negative, doesn't work, connection issues, no support, etc.).

Makes me seriously want to switch brands just because of this...

Top Shelf Aquatics

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Curious about this as well.

Recently upgraded to M1 macbook air and trying to adjust my Radion XR15 light settings.

The connection manager app cannot be installed because "Apple cannot check it for malicious software", even after I tried to bypass it in the security settings, it still could not be installed.

So... what now? My only other option seems to be either 1) try to get my hands on a Windows laptop, or 2) buy a ReefLink (which I did research a bit and recent reviews are mostly negative, doesn't work, connection issues, no support, etc.).

Makes me seriously want to switch brands just because of this...
I'm assuming because you mentioned a reeflink that your xr15 is gen 4 or earlier.
I always avoided reeflinks because I heard all the uproar about them, but every single person I know locally who uses them ( couple dozen ) said they work fine.
But I didn't believe them.

I would call ETM and find out if your new mac is compatible with the reeflink.
The support is there, you just have to call them.

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

exnisstech

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
I've ran into a similar problem but in autos. I was a tech at a new car dealership and when Apple would force an ios update out people would flock to the store complaining about features on their phone not working any longer. Sometime an infotainment center (I know they used to be radios) update would roll out sometimes not.

czhao1009

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm assuming because you mentioned a reeflink that your xr15 is gen 4 or earlier.
I always avoided reeflinks because I heard all the uproar about them, but every single person I know locally who uses them ( couple dozen ) said they work fine.
But I didn't believe them.

I would call ETM and find out if your new mac is compatible with the reeflink.
The support is there, you just have to call them.
Yeah I think mine is gen4 or earlier, to be honest I didn't really keep up with all the generations, I bought it new about 5 years ago and have since not touched it after the initial setup/fiddling.

I fired up my old 2011 macbook that still had the Ecotech connection manager and was able to adjust the light settings! LOL... this will keep me good for a while.

K rant over, just surprising to me that support for the newer mac os does not seem to be a priority for them :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Yeah I think mine is gen4 or earlier, to be honest I didn't really keep up with all the generations, I bought it new about 5 years ago and have since not touched it after the initial setup/fiddling.

I fired up my old 2011 macbook that still had the Ecotech connection manager and was able to adjust the light settings! LOL... this will keep me good for a while.

K rant over, just surprising to me that support for the newer mac os does not seem to be a priority for them :)
Glad you found a solution, while it's not perfect it will do for now.

Did you ever call them? There may be a work around.
Is there a way to partition the hard drive and add the older version ios on it?

Tidal Gardens

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

You're asking for support of what is essentially a discontinued platform, for an obsolete light, on a niche operating system - from a company who just got bought out by a venture capital group whose whole goal is consolidation and streamlining.

I would not expect further updates

AI Hydra

Can you identify clams?

• I can ID most types of clams

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I can ID a few types of clams

Votes: 60 28.0%
  • I can tell it’s a clam, but don’t know what type

Votes: 124 57.9%
  • Wait, you can put clams in a saltwater aquarium?

Votes: 2 0.9%
Join the movement!