So many HOB skimmers, which one!!! Help :(

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to have 2 fish and corals in a 75, your filtration from your rocks & sand will most likely keep you set for the duration of the tank.

A siphon overflow works very well. E-shoppes has a wonderful overflow box, if you want to set up a refugium. My 75 gallon was up with 100 lb of live rock and sand bottom. Had 2 clowns and a full grown kole tang in it, and my nitrates were 0 and phosphates were barely detectable until I started dumping in nitrates. I still after about 8 months have no detectable nitrates unless I put them there myself.

Don't get overwhelmed, don't over filter your tank, and definitely don't spend any money on equipment you don't need. Save that $$$ for some sweet torches.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently converted my 25g hob to a sump setup with a life reef hob filter. I am pretty happy with it overall. I guess time will tell.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the safest would be putting a small skimmer inside of a HOB filter/refugium

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And running multiple hob filters. You could have one of them holding the skimmer and another next to it with a refugium or mechanical filtration/carbon.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the skimmer. I have been using the reef octopus classic 1000 hob for several years and I'm very happy with it. Never overflowed. Not sure how you can put any meaningful skimmer in a hob filter.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 hob overflows on this tank and have had them on other tanks for several years. They have been 100 % problem free. I have never ever had a flood or a loss of syphon. I think a lot of people that say they don't work don't run them. I have run drilled tank and agree they are probably best but my bulk heads always had salt creep. Probably user error but it isn't going to happen with a hob overflow JMO

20220821_204752.jpg

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is not really a necessity if you only plan on a few fish. If you plan on getting lets just say more than 5 then get a skimmer. I hate the HOB refugium options.

Another option for a skimmer is an in tank variant like a tunze docline. I have one and it works great at skimming. You cant even see it in the tank against a black background. I also have a HOB refugium and IDK if it does anything but its nice to have i guess. I never pull any cheato out but its growing and its green.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is not really a necessity if you only plan on a few fish. If you plan on getting lets just say more than 5 then get a skimmer. I hate the HOB refugium options.

Another option for a skimmer is an in tank variant like a tunze docline. I have one and it works great at skimming. You cant even see it in the tank against a black background. I also have a HOB refugium and IDK if it does anything but its nice to have i guess. I never pull any cheato out but its growing and its green.
careful with your HOB refugium. I had one going and chaeto was growing like crazy. I didnt really keep up with maintenance and the chaeto got too thick and started to die off. It released quite a bit of nutrients in the system. After that I just grew green hair algae lol... My refugium, since it was hob, was pretty close to the wall making it hard to upkeep.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
careful with your HOB refugium. I had one going and chaeto was growing like crazy. I didnt really keep up with maintenance and the chaeto got too thick and started to die off. It released quite a bit of nutrients in the system. After that I just grew green hair algae lol... My refugium, since it was hob, was pretty close to the wall making it hard to upkeep.
Yeah i check it about once a week and like i said its growing just very slow.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 hob overflows on this tank and have had them on other tanks for several years. They have been 100 % problem free. I have never ever had a flood or a loss of syphon. I think a lot of people that say they don't work don't run them. I have run drilled tank and agree they are probably best but my bulk heads always had salt creep. Probably user error but it isn't going to happen with a hob overflow JMO

20220821_204752.jpg
i agree i ran tanks like this in the 1980s while in high school,, i think the key is to have a decent amout of flow going thru it, the only time i ever had one clog up with bubbles was when the return pump was not sized right and flow was way to slow. i dont like the cpr style ones that required the toms aqualifter pumps, those have failure issues.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back