So you think you've got aipstia?

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out. 100 gallon high nutrient tank. This is just part of the tank giving an example of how densely they are covering everything.

I added 16 berghia nudibranch on April 18th, and another 19 on August 5th.

As I said it's a messy tank. I've got five engineer gobies, so they stir up a lot of detritus on a regular basis. The tank is not really stocked that heavily and I don't feed heavily, but I probably under skim a bit. I am planning on upgrading my skimmer in the next couple of weeks.

Stay tuned...

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrifying

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if aiptasia didn't sting other corals I wouldn't mind it. Although I've never actually had it, knock on wood, so maybe I don't truly understand! ;-)

Yeah, I think they're actually kind of cool. But I do not like them messing with my other corals.

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the berghia are helping. I wonder if they're still in there.

I know it's common to keep thinking they're not working and then all of a sudden they work, but I put a large number in and it's been a pretty long time.

What does everyone think?

display tank size: 100g
berghia added: 16 on April 18th, and another 19 on August 5th.

possible predators: aipstia themselves, emerald crabs, clownfish, engineer gobies, royal gramma, pajama cardinals

I really don't think the emerald crabs, royal gramma or pajama cardinals would eat them and there are a lot of hidden places for eggs. I also have no other crabs besides the emeralds.

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen a dent in the aipstia population in my tank. As a matter of fact they may be increasing. One of the reasons I took the videos I shared in the opening post is to compare and remind myself of the condition my tank was in.

I thought maybe all the berghia had died or were eaten. I was considering plunking down $500+ to just order 50 of them from Salty Underground, but I figured I'd give them another month to see if they started reproducing and doing some work on the aipstia in my tank.

About a week ago, I couldn't sleep so I took a red headlamp I have and gave my tank a good look over at 3am - looking for berghia and any other interesting nocturnal creatures I could find. It was fun, but I didn't see a single nudibranch. I was hoping to see a horde of them getting all medieval on a giant aipstia, but no such luck.

But...yesteday just as the lights were about to go off I was looking at my tank and I saw an adult berghia. It was just slinking around and moved past several aipstia before disappearing into a crack in the rock. That really gave me hope that they may eventually be effective. Stay tuned...

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Franks F aiptasia will help thin the heard. Works great on the majano infestation i have.
Looks similar to your infestation just a different anemone lol.

I actually let it sit for 8 hours and then siphon the majanos bodies out as they loosen up from the rockwork.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen a dent in the aipstia population in my tank.
Major bummer. I watched the Inappropriate Reefer video when he added them to his Mangrove Tank. They erradicated his aptasia so fast he was looking for aptasia to feed them.

You have any fish to that eat Nudi's?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many as you bought, you should have a booming population considering their food source is very plentiful. Did you get the first two batches from salty underground too?

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major bummer. I watched the Inappropriate Reefer video when he added them to his Mangrove Tank. They erradicated his aptasia so fast he was looking for aptasia to feed them.

It is kind of a fun and fascinating experiment.

You have any fish to that eat Nudi's?

Not sure, but I think nothing too bad. I posted my stock list up above in post #6.

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many as you bought, you should have a booming population considering their food source is very plentiful. Did you get the first two batches from salty underground too?

No, from reef town. But they seemed very healthy and active, and I acclimated and released them very carefully.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took awhile, but with them and peppermint shrimp, my aipstatia is disappearing slowly
IMG_20200928_130346.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the pumps off and nike a bunch of them with kalk paste. It is easy, feels good and works well. Just a small amount on each one works. You can never get them all, so have some predators around.
Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 2.06.32 PM.png

U

User1

View Badges
No need for a reboot. Just pull out a light at night and see what is going on. You will either see the berghia or you won't. If you don't then you have your answer. On the other hand if you want to rid them pick up a biota captive bred matted filefish. You will see a noticeable decline.

At this point it would be a easier solution even if it picked at some corals you have. Mine went after frogspawn and duncan corals (very young or small frags) and zoa's.

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I postponed my retirement by another week by adding another 20 berghia today.

If I don't see a change in the next month or so I may consider getting a filefish.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is kind of a fun and fascinating experiment.

Not sure, but I think nothing too bad. I posted my stock list up above in post #6.

Your engineer gobies will eat your berghia. I had a pair of engineers that ate any small fish, shrimp or nudis. I can guarentee you, that they just got a expensive meal. How large are they? Could you rehome them temporarily while you give the berghia another shot? If not, I wouldn't do berghia again unless you target fed the fish 3 times daily to make sure they are full on food that you want them to eat.

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man.. that's Aipstia heaven ... I had more than that .... Got one file fish and it cleared everything.. took around 4 months so... Good luck ...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back