Sochting Oxydator Help

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 Oxydator A, and 3 Oxydator D units for my different saltwater fish tanks. They arrive this week. I plan to run the two A models in my 180 gal tank and the D units in my other tanks. I got them because my electricity goes out often, so I thought using these units in my tanks on a regular bases will help with keeping oxygen levels up during power outages, but also for the water purifying ability of hydrogen peroxide.

I am having trouble figuring out what food grade hydrogen peroxide to use. Those of you who purchase online, can you share your sources?

I did find the site listed below. I thought I'd purchase from them, but as I explored the site, I discovered that they don't recommend using it for fish tanks unless the person using it has experience using it, which I don't. Will it be safe to use in the Oxyadators?

http://www.dfwx.com/h2o2.htm

Other advice and suggestions would be greatly welcome. Only one tank has corals. All other tanks are FOWLR tanks. I just got all my fish healthy. I don't want to kill them with the Oxydators!

Thanks!

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ow that site takes me back 20 years on the web. Just buy hydrogen peroxide from the drug store. No need for this sites offering. You need just a 6% solution of hydrogen peroxide.

I was thinking I should buy at least 32% so I could dilute and save some money. I have 5 tanks so I'll be using quite a bit and one of the tanks is 180 gal. I don't know how often I'll have to refill either. About what will it cost to fill 2 Oxydator A, and 3 Oxydator D units buying from the drug store? Is what we buy at the drug store food grade? Sorry, I'm a newbie in regards to using an oxydator. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking I should buy at least 32% so I could dilute and save some money. I have 5 tanks so I'll be using quite a bit and one of the tanks is 180 gal. I don't know how often I'll have to refill either. About what will it cost to fill 2 Oxydator A, and 3 Oxydator D units buying from the drug store? Thanks for the help!
Tagging :)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking I should buy at least 32% so I could dilute and save some money. I have 5 tanks so I'll be using quite a bit and one of the tanks is 180 gal. I don't know how often I'll have to refill either. About what will it cost to fill 2 Oxydator A, and 3 Oxydator D units buying from the drug store? Is what we buy at the drug store food grade? Sorry, I'm a newbie in regards to using an oxydator. Thanks for the help!

The drug store is USP or pharmaceutical grade, higher than food grade. The Rite Aid brand is 3%, but I've never bitten on an Oxydator even though they look interesting.

If your concern is aeration during a power outage, you might consider battery operated bubblers from a local bait and tackle shop. They use a C or D battery and act to circulate the water a little bit and break the surface tension of the water. I have a small generator that works well for me, but those aren't viable options for everyone.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, I buy my 6% from the chemist / drug store.
England, excuse the metric, the bottles I buy are 200 ml and a bottle will fill an "A" almost exactly so a "D" and a half ish.
Cost is about $1.30, £1.09 and my A running 2 catalysts lasts about 2 weeks in my 550 litre water volume main tank.
I have never looked at buying stronger and diluting it because it can degrade (notice can not will).
If you think about the cost of fish food the cost of running the oxydators, I run 3 different ones, is negligible.
Hope that helps a bit, good luck.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your concern is aeration during a power outage, you might consider battery operated bubblers

If your concern is aeration during a power outage, you might consider battery operated bubblers from a local bait and tackle shop.

Thanks Breadman03 for your suggestion. I do have bubblers and a generator. I have to because my power goes out so much; however, I'm not always home when the power goes out to put the bubbler in or turn on the generator. I figured the oxydator will help with that problem. :)

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, I buy my 6% from the chemist / drug store.
England, excuse the metric, the bottles I buy are 200 ml and a bottle will fill an "A" almost exactly so a "D" and a half ish.
Cost is about $1.30, £1.09 and my A running 2 catalysts lasts about 2 weeks in my 550 litre water volume main tank.
I have never looked at buying stronger and diluting it because it can degrade (notice can not will).

Thanks, najer. An estimate about the $ amount I need to buy to fill up the 5 oxydators helps a lot. It sounds like it's not too expensive to just buy from the pharmacy in smaller quantities. Since I'll be buying about every two weeks, I may have to ask the pharmacy to keep up a supply for me. Awesome!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, najer. An estimate about the $ amount I need to buy to fill up the 5 oxydators helps a lot. It sounds like it's not too expensive to just buy from the pharmacy in smaller quantities. Since I'll be buying about every two weeks, I may have to ask the pharmacy to keep up a supply for me. Awesome!

You're welcome, mine orders more in when I have their last bottle, they put it on order yesterday. ;)

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Black Pearl. I found that site searching, too. I wondered if they were a good place to buy. :)

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have received my 2 - Oxydator As thanks to @atoll 's advice. Delivery on H2O2 will be another week.
Does anyone think USP 3% would be fine to use until I get the food-grade 12 % for 6% dilution?
Or just wait, I am used to it in this hobby. My thinking is that a 0% to 3% to 6% may be just as good as long as USP 3% stabilized peroxide is not a bad quality for this.

Thanks,
Chris

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the stabilised peroxide in the past with no issues. Having said that I have kept the unstabalised stuff for 6 months and not noticed any difference.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have received my 2 - Oxydator As thanks to @atoll 's advice. Delivery on H2O2 will be another week.
Does anyone think USP 3% would be fine to use until I get the food-grade 12 % for 6% dilution?
Or just wait, I am used to it in this hobby. My thinking is that a 0% to 3% to 6% may be just as good as long as USP 3% stabilized peroxide is not a bad quality for this.

Thanks,
Chris

Where did you get it from?

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back