Sochting Oxydator Help

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Post back on your impressions. I'm really interested in this.
First 4 days with 3% and last 2 days have been with the 6%.

- First impression was that the water was crystal clear in the first 2 days even with the 3%. (Just like others have already observed)

- ORP spiked down like a water change and then settled to 40 higher than without the Oxydators. (430s)

- I am fighting GHA at the moment from a chaeto crash while I was away on business and was running socks full time. (I had been running too low of Nitrates and I am a 10 month newb to saltwater). I removed them when I added the oxydators, so far no more need for them. I will probably go back to using them only when I have my toothbrush out. The tank and sand is looking good now, except the rock are still holding onto the phosphates and GHA. I am hoping that the Oxydators, with the elevated O2 and possible dosing of minor amounts of H2O2, will assist in the breakdown of the GHA. (Along with more flow, smart feeding, get the new chaeto out-competing the GHA, etc. etc.)

Will keep you posted.

Chris

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nine days in - 2-A types 6% w/ 2 catalysts per. 140G total volume

- Still very clear water, it quickly recovers from any rock/sump/etc. cleaning.

- One very curious "anectodal" observation has been that the shrimp are very active.
The Fire shrimp has a relocated from the dungeon to a nice open rock tunnel to establish his cleaning service for the Diamond Goby. I have had him for the entire 10 months of this cycled DT. He has never came out in the day and generally always stayed in the same dungeon of a hole where he molted and kept out of sight. The Cleaner shrimp is usually right there ready to assist him, otherwise, he generally kept to himself and avoided all contact.

Chris

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nine days in - 2-A types 6% w/ 2 catalysts per. 140G total volume

- Still very clear water, it quickly recovers from any rock/sump/etc. cleaning.
- One very curious "anectodal" observation has been that the shrimp are very active.
The Fire shrimp has a relocated from the dungeon to a nice open rock tunnel to establish his cleaning service for the Diamond Goby. I have had him for the entire 10 months of this cycled DT. He has never came out in the day and generally always stayed in the same dungeon of a hole where he molted and kept out of sight. The Cleaner shrimp is usually right there ready to assist him, otherwise, he generally kept to himself and avoided all contact.

Chris

I have hard of those keeping freshwater shrimps using Oxydator's in their tanks, hr's one such.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if I should start an Oxydator user group. Hmmm ;Bookworm. There is a FB Oxydator group if anybody is interested in finding out more. Hope it's OK to inform of such a FB group on here?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting one up in a NUVO 10 this weekend. Hoping it helps keep the tank looking as good as it does now...

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What noticeable difference did it do or your tank?

Crystal clear water, less film algae and happy animals! :)

DSC_0004 (1024x674).jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only been in the hobby for about 10 years, I have never run a tank without one for the last 7 or 8 years! :)
I used to write on UR under the name of Les about Oxydator's and another name which i forget years ago. You may remember them.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer @atoll
Okay, I'm bad. I've had my Oxydators for almost a year. I couldn't get the 6% H2O2 locally, life got busy, and I never got around to ordering it online. I've finally ordered the 35% H2o2 and need to dilute it and set up the Scohting Oxydators today. Two questions for the experts using the Schhting Oxydators in their saltwater tanks:

1) Is it totally safe for fish and all inverts or should I dilute to less than 6%?
I've read some negatives regarding some fish and anemones reactions. I

2) Can you tell me the exact amount of H2O2 in ounces to reach the correct dilution of 6% in a 1 gal container of RODI water?

Thank you!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't give you a ratio, google it, looks around 6 : 1, run a single catalyst when you try it and watch your nems if you have them, see how it goes, IMO.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't give you a ratio, google it, looks around 6 : 1, run a single catalyst when you try it and watch your nems if you have them, see how it goes, IMO.

Thank you for responding @najer! There is so much anecdotal information out there claiming this or that, I felt it necessary to check with people I trust who have been using the Sochting Oxydators for years.

Okay. The nems are in the 29 gal with sump (total volume about 34 gallons). I purchased the Oxydator D for this tank. I'll put in one catalyst as you suggest.

I also have a 180gal (total volume with sump and displacement). I plan to add 1 Oxydator A with 2 catalysts, but I'm not sure if I should also put in a second Oxydator A with 1 catalyst (which I have on hand) or a second Oxydator D with 1 catalyst (also which I have on hand) as initial dosing.

Any recommendations would be most welcome!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. The nems are in the 29 gal with sump (total volume about 34 gallons). I purchased the Oxydator D for this tank. I'll put in one catalyst as you suggest.

Please stop!
Ok, in that volume of water you might well upset the nems!
This is just anecdotal but yes, some people have found nems "possibly" being upset, in a D in that volume I would try 3% and 1 catalyst.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop!
Ok, in that volume of water you might well upset the nems!
This is just anecdotal but yes, some people have found nems "possibly" being upset, in a D in that volume I would try 3% and 1 catalyst.

Thank you. I googled the 6:1 ratio as you suggested and most conversion charts I found pretty much said the same thing. This ratio was too high for the H202% I was shooting for. Example chart: https://www.essind.com/carpet-care/dilution-charts-and-conversion-tables/ What seems to be consistent across the different sites is the following information:

1:33 ratio is 3.03%

1:16.7 ratio is 5.99%

I will start out with a 1:33 ratio for the nem tank if you think this is more on track.
Suggestions for the 180 gal as a starting point?

BTW, I tried to find the fb community @atoll mentioned earlier in this thread but my searches have not turned up anything. Any idea what the group is called?

Thanks! I'll wait to hear back from you before I dilute the H202, just to be on the safe side. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back