OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference is down to how long each oxydator lasts between refills. However with stronger solutions of peroxide the peroxide in the model A is more likely to be converted/ broken down due to its design. With the model D you only have the catalysts and the base to act with the peroxide. With the model A the peroxide has the whole ceramic pot which also acts as a catalyst for any peroxide that escapes into it making it a safer and due to the amount it holds longer lasting between refills.
Ok. Sounds like you're recommending I use 2 Oxydator "A"s. I think I'll start slow and use 2 catalyst in one and 1 catalyst in the other. I can increase when I get a new ORP probe. My last one fried when the tank overflowed last year. Thanks for all your help. I feel much more confident to get started now. :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Sounds like you're recommending I use 2 Oxydator "A"s. I think I'll start slow and use 2 catalyst in one and 1 catalyst in the other. I can increase when I get a new ORP probe. My last one fried when the tank overflowed last year. Thanks for all your help. I feel much more confident to get started now. :)
I would use 2 X As or a W if you could fit one in the sump given it's size. With 2 As you can alternate the refilling of each and have slightly more control not that you need it.

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 X As or a W if you could fit one in the sump given it's size. With 2 As you can alternate the refilling of each and have slightly more control not that you need it.

I've added two As, one with 2 catalysts and one with 1 catalyst. I didn't see your response until I had already filled them both and installed them in the sump. One should empty faster than the other with the different catalysts, so I should be able to alternate filling as you mention. I placed one in the section with the skimmer and one in the return pump area.

Two questions came up.

1) Should the bottle in the Oxydator float when filled? I thought the bottle was not supposed to float unless it was empty? It floated right away when I picked up the ball top to check to see if it was on all the way.
2) I am running a bio pellet reactor. Will the H2O2 kill the bacteria in the reactor? Should I take it off line?

Thanks!

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on the FB Group earlier today in response to someone's question about dilution.

You can use the dilution formula of C1V1=C2V2 where C1 is the starting concentration and V1 is the volume of C1, and C2 is the diluted concentration and V2 is the volume of the diluted concentration.

Say you want to dilute 100ml of 35% H2O2 down to 6%. That would be 35*100=6*x.
x=3500/6 or x=583.3ml.
Subtract the initial 100ml and you get 483.3ml.
Add this amount of RODI to your 100ml of 35% and you'll end up with 583.3ml of 6% H2O2.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on the FB Group earlier today in response to someone's question about dilution.

You can use the dilution formula of C1V1=C2V2 where C1 is the starting concentration and V1 is the volume of C1, and C2 is the diluted concentration and V2 is the volume of the diluted concentration.

Say you want to dilute 100ml of 35% H2O2 down to 6%. That would be 35*100=6*x.
x=3500/6 or x=583.3ml.
Subtract the initial 100ml and you get 483.3ml.
Add this amount of RODI to your 100ml of 35% and you'll end up with 583.3ml of 6% H2O2.
Thanks for that. I ME the exact concentration of peroxide added to an Oxydator isn't so important in reality. Adding 2 parts peroxide to 1 part RO is what I aim for and I do this by sight adding the peroxide first then topping up with RO in the Oxydator directly. I am of course only using 12% peroxide as that is the strangest solution we can buy here in the UK. Not very scientific I know but it's served me well over the years. For those who wish to be more accurate your formulas above will give them the exact concentrations they seek.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added two As, one with 2 catalysts and one with 1 catalyst. I didn't see your response until I had already filled them both and installed them in the sump. One should empty faster than the other with the different catalysts, so I should be able to alternate filling as you mention. I placed one in the section with the skimmer and one in the return pump area.

Two questions came up.

1) Should the bottle in the Oxydator float when filled? I thought the bottle was not supposed to float unless it was empty? It floated right away when I picked up the ball top to check to see if it was on all the way.
2) I am running a bio pellet reactor. Will the H2O2 kill the bacteria in the reactor? Should I take it off line?

Thanks!
I have answered you on the FB group but to sum up. If you remove the weighted ball the acrylic bell will float while the Oxydator is submerged.

Unless you place the Oxydator very close to the input of the pellet reactor there should be no issue.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add up my experience too, i am using Oxydator A and buying H2O2 from a chemical store. First bought pure 6% H2O2 of 500ml which cost upto $5. One refill with 2 catalyst come for 12 days in my 150gallons. Later to reduce the cost I have bought 5ltrs of H2O2 at 45% percentage for $ 9.25. I dilute it to 6%. The problem was when we buy the high percentage H2O2 concentration varies from 45 to 47%. So to find it I have bought and Hydrometer which will show the concentration of the solution and based on which i dilute each lot of purchase.
Till last week I have been using with 6% in 2 catalyst, and from this week I have been using 8% in 2 Catalyst. All seems to be good and for safer side I will not increase the concentration further.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I ME the exact concentration of peroxide added to an Oxydator isn't so important in reality. Adding 2 parts peroxide to 1 part RO is what I aim for and I do this by sight adding the peroxide first then topping up with RO in the Oxydator directly. I am of course only using 12% peroxide as that is the strangest solution we can buy here in the UK. Not very scientific I know but it's served me well over the years. For those who wish to be more accurate your formulas above will give them the exact concentrations they seek.

I do the same and aim to around 9 % - two catalyst - Oxydator A and around 80 Gallon (300 litres)

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same and aim to around 9 % - two catalyst - Oxydator A and around 80 Gallon (300 litres)

Sincerely Lasse
A % here or there should not be of concern and I have never found it to be an issue. There is quite a lot of room for a wide margin of error as people shouldn't run them to a % and number of catalysts close to the aquariums limit. I could probably run my Oxydator at 12% with 2 catalysts but err on the side of caution with 9%

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Wideyed

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Canada, hydroponics stores carry peroxide ranging from 29% to 35%. If you buy 30% or stronger, you need to provide photo ID and by law they have to record your contact info from the ID. A (US) gallon (3.76L) of 29% is typically about $39CAD.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Canada, hydroponics stores carry peroxide ranging from 29% to 35%. If you buy 30% or stronger, you need to provide photo ID and by law they have to record your contact info from the ID. A (US) gallon (3.76L) of 29% is typically about $39CAD.

That's what I do in the US as well. My local Hydroponics store sells a quart of 34% H202 as Liquid Oxygen for $12. Diluting it to 9% yields me just under a gallon of solution

OP
OP
Sashaka

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed the question being answered but will the H2O2 kill the bacteria in a bio pellet reactor? Should I take the reactor off line?

Thanks!
BTW, I ordered from Pure Health. It is supposed to be without contaminants. Did I pay too much?

Untitled.png

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed the question being answered but will the H2O2 kill the bacteria in a bio pellet reactor? Should I take the reactor off line?

Thanks!
BTW, I ordered from Pure Health. It is supposed to be without contaminants. Did I pay too much?

Untitled.png
Nope unless you had the Oxydator very close to the intake of your pellet reactor then it's perfectly fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back