Sochting Oxydator Help

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes, no "method", no reactors or media, it runs an A and a D, 6% two catalysts, mixed reef, I would never run a tank without oxydators! :)

DSC_0001 (1024x683).jpg
Same apart from an ATS but I have yet to put that on my new tank.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes, no "method", no reactors or media, it runs an A and a D, 6% two catalysts, mixed reef, I would never run a tank without oxydators! :)

DSC_0001 (1024x683).jpg
How long has you tank been running and did you set it up with your Oxydators from the start or near to setting it up?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has you tank been running and did you set it up with your Oxydators from the start or near to setting it up?

About 3 and a half years, upgrade from a 170 litre that ran a D. My first oxydator was the mini that still runs in my little tank, 8 - 10 years old I guess! :)
I bought the A as part of the upgrade, it has always run an oxydator. :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 and a half years, upgrade from a 170 litre that ran a D. My first oxydator was the mini that still runs in my little tank, 8 - 10 years old I guess! :)
I bought the A as part of the upgrade, it has always run an oxydator. :)
One day Oxydators may well become universally accepted in reefing. I have been banging on about them for about 30 years now.
I have been asked a number of times "if they are so good why aren't we all using them?" My reply "good question" fact is the company don't seem really interested in promoting them. I have never seen them advertise them and have never had a reply to my emails. No reefing celeb apart from my old departed friend Albert Thiel who I wrote a piece for his book The Nano Reef Aquarium after I sent him a D model to try. He was so taken with the results he wanted to put a section in his book dedicated to them.
I wonder if Julian Sprung would like to try one. [emoji11]

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They briefly marketed Oxydators in (I believe) the late 1980's as The Automatic Aquarium Oxygenator. My LFS had them in boxes with a matching display header. The graphic showed a bunch of tiny scuba divers "cleaning" the inside of a fish tank. It looked intriguing, but I don't remember if it was clear that the refill solution was not proprietary.

This was a very high end LFS and the only one I saw it in at the time. It then promptly disappeared from the shelves, and the next time it popped up on my radar was 30 years later while researching here. I have had a mini since close to the start of my five month old Nano. The tank is doing incredibly well, and seems to have gotten to the point where it's performing like a tank twice it's age.

I have a D that is going in a 20 gallon mixed reef I'm currently setting up, and another on the way for 40g that I will be working on over the summer.

The Oxydators are literally the first piece of kit I purchased for both tanks...

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They briefly marketed Oxydators in (I believe) the late 1980's as The Automatic Aquarium Oxygenator. My LFS had them in boxes with a matching display header. The graphic showed a bunch of tiny scuba divers "cleaning" the inside of a fish tank. It looked intriguing, but I don't remember if it was clear that the refill solution was not proprietary.

This was a very high end LFS and the only one I saw it in at the time. It then promptly disappeared from the shelves, and the next time it popped up on my radar was 30 years later while researching here. I have had a mini since close to the start of my five month old Nano. The tank is doing incredibly well, and seems to have gotten to the point where it's performing like a tank twice it's age.

I have a D that is going in a 20 gallon mixed reef I'm currently setting up, and another on the way for 40g that I will be working on over the summer.

The Oxydators are literally the first piece of kit I purchased for both tanks...
That's good to know. I do seem to vaguely remember the scuba divers many years ago now you mention them. Not sure even where I would have seen the ad. When I first saw one it was in a little LFS that had maybe half a dozen small marine tanks. They had got one in for a discus customer. After discussing them with the owner who knew little about them myself and a friend both ordered a model A each and the rest as they say is history. At the time I couldn't find anybody keeping marines knew anything about Oxydator's never mind own one. We were very careful and cautious with them at first but as our confidence grew we experimented more with different % of peroxide. I went too far on one occasion and a large magnifica nem took exception to 17% and 2 catalysts. I tend to stay around 9% these days and 2 catalysts.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add up, i even using a D type in my fish introduction tank (in other name a 20 gallon tank to train the fish for feeding and watching them for diseases and so on). With D type i am very sure that all the new fish will be disease free and are behaving so active and healthy without need of any medication or so on.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add up, i even using a D type in my fish introduction tank (in other name a 20 gallon tank to train the fish for feeding and watching them for diseases and so on). With D type i am very sure that all the new fish will be disease free and are behaving so active and healthy without need of any medication or so on.
If you check out the files section I have done a short article on using Oxydator's to help fight diseases and in particular white spot/itch.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out the files section I have done a short article on using Oxydator's to help fight diseases and in particular white spot/itch.
. Link for us lazy Swedes :) ?

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this work, if the peroxide is catalysed to oxygen? An explanation would be appreciated please
It's all explained in tbe files section of the FB Oxydator User Group.
However to sum it up hydrogen peroxide is broken down into what is known as super oxygen via the catalyst and forced into the aquarium both dissolved and as fine bubbles. The effect is similar to ozone. For a more detailed explanation see the above.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running 2 A? Have 1 in 90 gal reef and wondering what would be benafit of adding another. Been running 9% for a few yrs

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running 2 A? Have 1 in 90 gal reef and wondering what would be benafit of adding another. Been running 9% for a few yrs

I run an A and a D in 550 litres 6% and two catalysts in both, I would go for it! ;)
... picked up 9% today, the D just got re filled with that! ;)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 model As in my 100 gallon using 9%and 2 catalysts in each. One of the benefits is you can alternate refilling so you never run dry of peroxide.running 2 is also more versitile and you may be able to accommodate 2As rather than say one large model W.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a secondhand Oxydator A for sale in the UK in the Oxydator user group on Facebook for just £20 a bargain so any UK members thinking of one or want another check it out.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a W model which hopefully will be with me today. This will go in my small 800litre pond. I bought it secondhand for a good price. Looking forward to putting it in. I already have a pond filter with 9w UV doing a good job of keeping the water clear. The W should add that extra sparkle to the water. The ponds only been set up 6 weeks and doing very well. We do have issues with herons here but I have 2 deterrents a trip wire and a rotating scarer. There was a heron in the garden which approached the pond but I inadvertently scared it off when I would have just liked to observed it. However it seems I have lost no fish to herons so hopefully that will continue to be the case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back