Sockless with a huge splash!

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

So i tried to go sockless for a full day just to try and see how it goes.

I wa amazed by the big increase in noise levels from the drain line as well as the huge splashing that was going on!

I've got an old photo i took before running my setup to give you an idea about where my drian line is sitting (below water line at around ~3").. I have seen some solutions to this but never got really how they worked...

Wondering if splitting the drian at the end with a T with two exists would help reduce both splashing and noise?

I do have alot of filter socks, just not sure if i want to continue to use them or not yet...

20181021_033030.jpg

What do you guys think?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just make something to cover that section of your sump, it will dramatically reduce sound, contain splashing and help reduce salt creep.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pipes should be a couple inches below the water line.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just make something to cover that section of your sump, it will dramatically reduce sound, contain splashing and help reduce salt creep.

That section has an aquamaxx coneS skimmer which pretty much takes the entire section, i wish i could cover it but not easy to do.

Lengthen the pipe closer to water level or just below it.

Corey

It is already approx. 3inch down the water level.

pipes should be a couple inches below the water line.

Already at 3" below water level...

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree— lengthening the pipe to below the water level should help. Then, have you thought of a filter cup with some filter floss sitting below it to regain a bit of mechanical filtration? Just a thought. Best wishes.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lengthen the pipe to just barely above the water. Then put a 45 on the end. You can adjust height to noise level. You want an air gap.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree— lengthening the pipe to below the water level should help. Then, have you thought of a filter cup with some filter floss sitting below it to regain a bit of mechanical filtration? Just a thought. Best wishes.

I do have a cup/floss option but i wanted to completely roll out the mechanical filter for a peice of mind when travelling.

Lengthen the pipe to just barely above the water. Then put a 45 on the end. You can adjust height to noise level. You want an air gap.

I will try that, i was thinking it must be air traps rhats causing the noise actually as it kind of "chokes" the flow and opens up.. kind of like a swing valve type of effect.. i will try that option and see how it goes

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure where the noise is from if the pipe is already below the water line in the sump. Do you have a full siphon on your drain?

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the picture, it looks like the larger diameter line goes into a sock holder, and is just at water level, where water level is at the baffle to the left of the sponge.

generally, you want the smaller diameter pipe to be the full siphon and the larger diameter pipe as the emergency, but it should still work the way yours is configured.
you want the full siphon drain to be below water level.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back