Sodium Metabisulfite, is it bad?

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
40
Reaction score
11
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank alkalinity is in the higher range so i decided to reduce it with Sodium bisulfate. But the guy at the chemical shop has given me Sodium Metabisulfite. I didn't notice the error till much later. So i used this and my Alkalinity is about 11 now. it was in 12 range. I'm targeting at 8.5

i realized they have given me the wrong chemical when i was going through the bills. I don't see any reaction in the tank .


My question: Can i continue to use Metabisulfite to reduce the alkalinity?

PS: where i live we can't buy hcl or h2so4 without license. so those are out

Thanks
Faz
 
Definitely stop using it. I specifically recommend against it in my sodium bisulfate thread (below).

It has different chemistry, is quite reactive, will drop ORP a lot, and is sometimes used as a preservative. Nothing you can do not about it, unless the tank looks bad, in which case water changes can remove it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...in-new-salt-water-or-in-display-tanks.362825/
from it:

"DO NOT USE BISULFITE. Note the "i" in the ending vs an "a""
 
Bad winemakers use it to kill yeast, so I assume it is bad for microbes in our aquarium.
 
Thanks Randy


I've read your article before that's why I remembered a bit about it and stopped it immediately when I saw the “i” J. Thankfully, I don't see any negative reactions so far


Is there anything else I can dose to bring the alkalinity down?



Thanks

Faz
 
Thanks Randy


I've read your article before that's why I remembered a bit about it and stopped it immediately when I saw the “i” J. Thankfully, I don't see any negative reactions so far


Is there anything else I can dose to bring the alkalinity down?



Thanks

Faz

The choices are:

1. waiting for it to decline naturally
2. Water change with a low alk mix (maybe made especially low then pH brought back up using #3 or #4)
3. Very slow addition of sodium bisulfate
4. Very slow addition of hydrochloric acid

Keeping calcium and pH at the high end may accelerate consumption
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new