Soft Coral & Possible Sponge ID

BaraCats

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2022
Messages
24
Reaction score
19
Location
Victoria, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to know more specific names for my softies as many Aussie LFS use very broad terms when selling them. It feels like everything is some type of leather, even if it’s something else entirely. Any ideas on species/names for the corals below?

90C590F4-F989-41A6-8773-D948DE630EDC.jpeg

sold as a ‘finger leather’

42DCB411-8D46-49CE-9D07-8A4642E512DD.jpeg

This guy (the reddish spongey thing) came with a morph on it. I purchased the morph first, so technically he’s the hitchhiker. Its ‘mouths’ close when threatened and it has attached itself so tightly to the rock I’ll have to cut it off to remove it. It has grown a little bit, and has some nice red macroalgae growing on it.

3705FFB9-A624-49F9-8DD9-21D224AAC73F.jpeg
636023A0-F4A5-457A-A94D-EB3DC6E49F55.jpeg

Both sold as Sinularias of some type, this second image’s coral has the brightest glow green under bluer light. It’s really something to behold. Definitely a Neon Something.

B7EDDEA9-3C48-4378-BEA5-8386A6CC5B0E.jpeg

sold as some kind of ‘Colt Coral’. It has puffier/larger polyps than my second one (image below)
D264F846-F448-4FFE-AC0E-6CB6BF19007E.jpeg

My original ‘Colt Coral’

3A2EC99A-0DDF-448D-B844-02173B3F1AE9.jpeg

The two besides each other. 8E2BF451-D2AF-42A4-BEA2-EA7FD34B6C8C.jpeg
a shakier pic of the sponge mentioned above. It’s hard to photograph due to rock placement.
 
Not sure in the corals, but the spongey thing is a solitary tunicate species. Pics of it (both of the full thing and looking straight at/into the “mouth”) and the morph under white light may be helpful for a more specific ID, but some tunicates can be pretty tough to ID.
 
Not sure in the corals, but the spongey thing is a solitary tunicate species. Pics of it (both of the full thing and looking straight at/into the “mouth”) and the morph under white light may be helpful for a more specific ID, but some tunicates can be pretty tough to ID.
Thank you! I’ll try get better photos of it, but it’s at such an awkward angle in the tank that photos are near-impossible. I’ll @ you when I can get a decent shot. :D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new