Software updates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone can guide me on this as I want to make sure I do everything right and not brick anything. I currently have the P4E, the powerbar, and a doser 2.1 slave. The P4E is not on the current beta gcc as of yet but I did update the wifi module within the last 2 months. The powerbar I have not done anything with and the doser is still in the box brand new.

Please let me know if im thinking of this in the right direction.
save all settings and backup
Unplug powerbar and doser
update p4e to the "beta" gcc
plug in powerbar and update that.
unplug powerbar and plug in doser and update
assign the saved backup into the system and then everything should be normal

These updates are not near as easy as the apex was but I definitely like the system better. Just want to make sure I do this right as I read some of the stories on here about the update.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone can guide me on this as I want to make sure I do everything right and not brick anything. I currently have the P4E, the powerbar, and a doser 2.1 slave. The P4E is not on the current beta gcc as of yet but I did update the wifi module within the last 2 months. The powerbar I have not done anything with and the doser is still in the box brand new.

Please let me know if im thinking of this in the right direction.
save all settings and backup
Unplug powerbar and doser
update p4e to the "beta" gcc
plug in powerbar and update that.
unplug powerbar and plug in doser and update
assign the saved backup into the system and then everything should be normal

These updates are not near as easy as the apex was but I definitely like the system better. Just want to make sure I do this right as I read some of the stories on here about the update.
That looks right but @Ditto and @Lasse can confirm.

I always follow along with the videos from @Vinny@GHLUSA for this stuff as well.

Profilux Update (I don’t have the P4e to know if it’s the same process but I assume that you do):

PAB Device Update:

You should check to see if you need firmware updates for the PAB devices before going through the whole process though.

In the system tab scroll down to “Assign and Configure connected PAB devices” and you can see all the details:

C0D925A0-09D0-482D-9B29-45EA396FD9A0.png

Note that one of my Dosers is using 1.35 vs 1.36. But it’s working fine so I’m not going to bother it. And I’m actually not sure if there is something newer for the power bars...

Cheers,
Tony

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no update for the power bar. The only thing you will need to update is the P4, the wifi of the P4 (December update was released earlier this month), and the doser. Again, there is no power bar update, people mis-read the firmware title and try to update their new 6E-PAB and end up soft-bricking it.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

First with the WiFi unit. There is a new update from december. I would install that.

If you run it through a PC - i would figure out the local IP adres for your P4E. Put that in a browser and follow the instructions - if you have not change the inlog to the webbrowser - it is user - admin and password Starfish. Follow the steps (often yes on all questions if you is connected to MyGHL) Now you will have a local website in the browser (black marking) - go to Network (red marking)

1608747635065.png

Go to file transfer (red marking)

1608763506489.png

Her you should first update FW (red) and after that web interface (blue). Web file system is a tool if everything goes the wrong way. after update you may need to reinstall the connection to your WiFi

1608764202561.png

The needed files you will find in the unzipped file WiFi module-ESP-update you download earlier

1608764051616.png

Here you also find the updateTool if all gets wrong and you need to do a update with help of USB connection

P4 FW update

The beta was released in march this year. I have run it since that - have not have had any issues. Its a huge update with the firmware in that GCC. I would update my GCC to the beta version (FW 7.24) and use that in order to avoid a huge update later on when everything is running.

Make your backups - you need them in this update (to 7.24)
If you only have the PB attached just now - check its FW - normally you do not need to update a power bar if it is not very old. Actual FW for 5:1 is 1.01, For 6D (the old 6 PAB) - 1.08 and for the new 6E - its 1.00. If you do not have the doser attached - keep the powerbar assigned and do the update of your P4E with the powerbar attached. It works. When it is updated - use your backups - reinstall them but change the language to english first (from german) - it is easier that way :D. After you have reinstall your backups - and checked if it needs to be updated (if it need that - update) otherwise un-assign the powerbar. Next step is to assign your doser and when its done - update its FW and re-assign your PB afterwards

That´s all

Sincerely Lasse

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why install the WIFI update if the P4 is working Fine? Seems like you’re just asking for head aches.

Just do the firmware on the P4e & Doser. There useful new features in these.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why install the WIFI update if the P4 is working Fine? Seems like you’re just asking for head aches.

Just do the firmware on the P4e & Doser. There useful new features in these.
I've been curious as to the number of WiFi updates there have been.

Agree, if it's working why is there even a need to update it.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Web interface changes are within the wifi update and should be done together if you wish to have the latest web interface changes you should apply the changes to your device.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been curious as to the number of WiFi updates there have been.

Agree, if it's working why is there even a need to update it.
There were issues with the reconnection attempt settings that they updated. I agree if it ain't broke... usually. I think Lasse's point is that it is easier to do these updates now, when things are getting set up, than later. And that when you do need an update it is less disruptive to update from a more recent version. As opposed to jumping a couple of versions next year when adding something that wants the latest settings.

May as well start fresh and up to date with a new system.

Tony

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Web interface changes are within the wifi update and should be done together if you wish to have the latest web interface changes you should apply the changes to your device.
The last firmware update was back in March. Now they come out with a WIFI update. I’m not seeing how the two are linked. Or are you referring to something else?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are always adding features to the Web Interfaces. I am not sure if they are linked or not, always do both at the same time.

• December 08, 2020: Added webinterface V3.11.3, WiFi-Firmware 7087
  • November 13, 2020: Added webinterface V3.10.3, WiFi-Firmware 7086
  • April 15, 2020: Added webinterface V3.6.8, WiFi-Firmware 7084
  • April 01, 2020: Added webinterface V3.5.3

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of some reasons GHL have chose to separate FW for the computer itself and for the WiFi chip. The WiFi chip have its own web interface that could be reached locally if you can´t reach My GHL with help of a web browser or your app on your phone or pad. In a network - it is always faster to connect with the WiFi chips local web interface. My GHL:s web interface and the app:s interface get rather much updates and the versions will be higher and higher. Latest is 3.11.3.

If you want the internal web interface to be the same as the interface in my GHL and the apps - you need to update the WiFi chip when new updates is available here. They also improve the WiFi all the time.

When I´m sitting at home I use the WiFi chips interface instead for the app or My GHL through a web browser. It is many times faster than the app or myGHL.

The way I do it is to first determine my profilux computers local IP - that I can do in My GHL or in the app (red) I also chose a user and password for the WiFi:s webserver (blue) Default is admin - Starfish - but you can change it here

1608812880004.png
After this I open a web browser and it will ask for username and password

1608813103232.png

You reach a initial set up page. Decide language and click next

1608813275963.png

Click yes if you want an extended version

1608813939800.png

Fill in your inlogg for My GHL

1608814003147.png

And here I usually click yes

1608814102057.png

And click done

1608814160250.png

And now you can customize your interface

1608814303331.png

Here is mine

1608814384898.png

When I´m sitting at home I normally use this local interface - therefor I do regular updates when a new version is available. This local interface is much faster than both the GCC and MyGHL/the app IMO. If you are in the local interface and update it when you can - the update process is fast - use this

1608814646437.png

1608814702163.png

Normally fast and no problem

Sincerely Lasse

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there is more baked into the WiFi firmware then just the communication part.

I really wish they would send out notifications when they launch software/firmware updates. I'm a few updates behind...

Firmware-Version: 7087; release date: 2020-12-02
Webinterface-Version: 3.11.3; release date: 2020-12-02

# Changelog: WiFi-Module

## 7087
* Improved websocket handshake with myGHL-server

## 7086
* Fixed email smtp port setting not stored correctly
* Check for working wifi connection by pinging gateway and reset wifi state on failure

## 7084
* WiFi and Email settings are not anymore erased after reprogramming the filesystem, instead they are stored seperately. The whole data can still be blanked by using the special Blank chip...-method in the WiFi-Update-Tool.

## 7083
* Fixed setting hidden SSID

## 7081
* Automatically reconnect to accesspoint if connectivity state has reached a timeout
* If a configured device cannot connect to the desired accesspoint, it falls back to the behaviour of an unconfigured wifi module offering its own accesspoint.
* Avoid overlapping mailbody

## 7076
* Mails could have been sent repeatedly under some circumstances

## 7072
* Support for LX7004 and LX7204
* Support for long WiFi-SSIDs up to 32 characters

## 6961
* Support for PL-Mini/Light/Terra

## 6913
* NTP time-update periods delayed after power-on
* Gracefully restart after update

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put me in the group of shouldn't have tried the update.

Went fine on my Mini, but on the P4 the WiFi was lost. No WiFi lights on the front.

Tried the WiFi tool and still nothing, even blanked the chip.

What a pain, and now on to loosing hours of my life trying to get it back working again.....

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some options:

If possible, connect directly to the unit via USB cable and run the GCC software. Check the network page, it will have WIFI information at the bottm. For some, the wifi updates if not done in a long time will shut off the adapter (it should have one of four options selected, (Client / access point, etc). For mine just connecting to my wifi, the client is selected. If that's enabled, the check boxes at the bottom will show what's wrong. Odds are file is not checked for you, which makes it look like the unit is bricked.

So to restore, open the IP of your P4 and include the rescue hash, ie 192.168.1.1/update. Do the webserver file system update option with the spiffs.bin, follow the prompt and when it's all done***, reboot the unit. That should put you back to a functioning wifi.

***Make entirely sure the update is done and that blank page with "OK" shows up. Do not reboot before that.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back up.

After blanking the chip and resetting everything the WiFi was disabled, enabled it through GCC.

Not sure if the WiFi was disabled after the initial firmware update or when I blanked the chip. If it happens during another update I will check that first.

Just glad I have a windows laptop that I can plug into it.

Last edited:
Back