Solar Power Reef Tank

How many power your aquariums with solar?

• I already have solar powering my tank!

• I'm interested but not implementing solar

• I have no interest in solar powering my tank

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any additional info on your tank? Size/inhabitants, etc. I'm in the solar industry (16 years) and have a solid grasp of off-grid but don't have this type of setup on my 150ish gallon tank being it didn't make sense financially. I do have a 10kw grid tied PV array and will have 3 Tesla Powerwalls in the near future. Lots of PG&E PSPS events in my neck of the woods and thankfully some good rebates available. I do appreciate you sharing your setup. Very cool!

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I've got 2x 350w solar panels on the roof which go through a charge controller then 4x deep cycle leisure batteries.
I've got a 1000w inverter which converts the 12v DC battery power into 110/240 AC power. I can fully charge the batteries whilst powering everything during the day (providing it's sunny)

so when does your AC “Backup” kick in? Is there a voltage drop on cloudy days that causes the AC power to automatically kick in?

Mike9976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.88 kW Solar Power system on my roof. I not only power my aquariums, but my entire house.

8237525F-37A1-4034-9079-EC01E05F60A9.jpeg
How big is that house!?!?!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this lately. Gonna stick around and see how this thread develops.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity is very expensive here. VERY! Aquarium, pool, etc, we consume about 18,000 to 20,000Kwh per year. If it's good for the environment, super. I did it to economize long term. Powerwall is not economical with our day/night meter so no storage. I keep a 1000 watt generator on hand in case of a general community outage. My consumption from the grid is down 85%. Yes, that's a nuclear plant in the background. I live 1000 meters from 3 reactors.
IMG_20200307_101535.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I planned my upgrade a few years ago the first money spent was on getting a 3.2 Kw (I think, I have a small roof) system installed. :)

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently 4 100w panels with 2x100Ah batteries as a backup this keeps my system going for a week.All my pumps and wave makers are DC.My plan is to upgrade the system to run the whole tank 24/7 from solar

Chickenzown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200w with 2kwh battery storage off grid system that is primarily used for my Koi pond, however it is capable of running my marine tank instead in the evert of a power cut and I have used it as such on 2 occasions.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using some solar but have resisted going the battery route because the lifespan of the batteries vs cost to replace them have made me wary of going that route. I think when solid state batteries finally hit the market and the price on them drops I will go full solar.

How does this work without batteries? Can you share some pics or specs of your solar system? Thanks!

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are trying to go cheaper and do off grid so you do it yourself ebay is a good place to pick up panels. I have bought several used panels over the years and they always meter out like new. maybe just got lucky but I payed $80 bucks for 220watt panel. Luckily the guy was local so I could drive to pick it up.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if you go down the rabbit hole of DIY power walls used EV (electric vehicle) batteries are a good option. A few you tube channels out there for this kind of thing. I have 10kw of nissan leaf batteries my self but wish I went with chevy volt batteries. More bang for your buck. I have them attached to a 1.8kw solar array. My area gets average 4 to 6 hours of sun a day.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4.5kw grid tie system on the roof. No local storage, but I have a Nissan Leaf in the driveway and one of these days maybe I’ll back feed from it, or install a battery bank and increase the system to 9kw.

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity is very expensive here. VERY! Aquarium, pool, etc, we consume about 18,000 to 20,000Kwh per year. If it's good for the environment, super. I did it to economize long term. Powerwall is not economical with our day/night meter so no storage. I keep a 1000 watt generator on hand in case of a general community outage. My consumption from the grid is down 85%. Yes, that's a nuclear plant in the background. I live 1000 meters from 3 reactors.
IMG_20200307_101535.jpg
Well, at that distance if it goes Chernobyl, you won't have to worry about radiation. It'd be quick and painless!

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at that distance if it goes Chernobyl, you won't have to worry about radiation. It'd be quick and painless!
That's all I ask. Quick and painless! Cooling tower #3 is also the short final marker for the airport so it's a toss up between going radioactive or having a 747 cargo jet land on us!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back